996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Low cost 99 996 for sale in Chicago area

Old 11-20-2018, 05:15 PM
robot808
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Test drove it

I drove this car yesterday. It's not perfect, but it seems pretty nice overall. Here is what I noticed. Please know that I'm very far from a 996 expert. I just statred looking at these.

Body is pretty nice. It's a driver, not a show car. The body panels line up. I didn't see any evidence of a respray. The rear tail lights have some slight cracks, that seem to let a little moisture in them. The driver's side mirror is missing the glass, but motor does work. Overall, pretty nice looking.
There is nothing dripping under the car, although the oil pan does have some oily sludge coating it, so it must have at least a very slight leak. I could also smell the oil after the test drive. Not really bad, but there.

There may also be a very minor issue with the passenger window. It didn't seem to adjusted quite right for the door opening and closing.

​​​​​​The oil change sticker on the windshield was from Barrington, IL. It's a nice area, so I'm guessing the last owner probably had money to maintain it properly. No guarantee of course.

Tires are Michelins in very nice condition.

The interior is much like the body. Pretty nice, not perfect. After market stereo. Works fine, nothing special. Didn't think the heat was working very well, but when I took it off of auto and turned off the A/C, it seemed to warm up nicely. Too cold to check the air itself.

It has an airbag light on.

All switches seemed to work properly including the spoiler.
Upon start up, the first thing I noticed is that it is loud. Not crazy loud, but loud for my tastes. Engine sounded very healthy though. No rattles, pings or anything wrong that I could hear. It actually sounded great, just too loud for living with on a daily basis for this old man.

Didn't notice any smoke. It was cold out, so I saw vapor, but I don't believe it was smoke as much as a normal winter start up around here.

It drove very well. The clutch felt great. Good power, handling. Steering was crisp, no odd suspension noises. I felt a tiny bit of slop in the shifter, but it was honestly about the same as I've felt in the other 996's I've driven. Normal?

The biggest single issue I found was 6th gear. The car shifted flawlessly in all gears, until I got on the highway and finally tried 6th. It had trouble getting into 6th. It was almost as if I hadn't depressed the clutch enough, although I had the clutch fully depressed, the gears not exactly grinding, but seemed to be brushing into each other . This was at about 75 mph. I had to try several times to get it into gear. Once in gear, it stayed in, and felt perfectly normal.

​​​​So, I'm interested...There are some issues, but it honestly seems like a lot of car for the money. I'm really looking for a tip, so if one of you buys it before me, I'll be happy for you.
​​​​​
That said, thoughts on the 6th gear problem? Possibly a shifter/alignment issue, or transmission rebuild waiting to happen? Any guesses? Thoughts on any of the other issues?

​​​
Old 11-20-2018, 06:24 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,576 Likes on 983 Posts

Aside from the 6th gear issue, all those items could be addressed on the car for maybe $2-3k, so it’s not a bad deal for someone who just wants to drive a car like this. I’ve heard of far worse cars for more money.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:32 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 122 Posts

The 6th gear shift issue would concern me. It could be bad syncros or worn gears.

Not likely to be an inexpensive repair or replacement.

Figure at least $1500 for a used salvage transmission of unknown history, or the labor and parts to rebuild - plus either your time or labor costs to R&R.

Then again, I can’t remember the last time I was in 6th gear on a 911. You need some serious speed to get up to 6th.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Low cost 99 996 for sale in Chicago area