Best practices for documenting an accident

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 08:49 AM
pcasanova
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Best practices for documenting an accident

Looking to purchase a vehicle.

Car was parked at my mechanics shop when a lady backed into it. She messed up the front bumper on the corner requiring a new bumper, clips, paint. No other damage.

Current owner has pictures of the damage as well as documentation from insurance company on all parts / labor that was paid out for the damage.

What else should I get?
Was thinking a notarized statement that the damage listed was the only damage the vehicle has occurred and no other damage was reported.
How bad will this hurt re-sale later? "ASSuming" CarFax will report this as a Minor Accident no Air Bags Deployed or similar.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:36 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like you got all the paperwork you need, plus you know the mechanic. if I was selling and you asked me for a notarized copy I’d find a diff buyer who was less of a hassle.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:41 AM
michaelo
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

"Was thinking a notarized statement that the damage listed was the only damage the vehicle..."...

And who exactly would be making this statement? The seller? Is the seller qualified to make determinations about possible hidden vehicle damage? If i were the seller, I would not sell it to you because you sound like a nut who will come back to haunt me.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:42 AM
dntlvet
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pcasanova
Looking to purchase a vehicle.

Car was parked at my mechanics shop when a lady backed into it. She messed up the front bumper on the corner requiring a new bumper, clips, paint. No other damage.

Current owner has pictures of the damage as well as documentation from insurance company on all parts / labor that was paid out for the damage.

What else should I get?
Was thinking a notarized statement that the damage listed was the only damage the vehicle has occurred and no other damage was reported.
How bad will this hurt re-sale later? "ASSuming" CarFax will report this as a Minor Accident no Air Bags Deployed or similar.
Atrox thinks your asking a lot.
I personally would find a different car to purchase. Diminution of value from the accident is real.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:36 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

This is tough. Because let’s say you hire an expert 3rd party to stop by and look at the car. Even then, the 3rd party could be wrong. This is precisely what happened to me. I bought a car that looked perfect, clean carfax, and then 2 years later discovered it was in an accident. Even the 3rd party got it wrong.

That said, a 3rd party - a real expert - can “see” exactly what damage was done, regardless of what a seller, buyer, or CarFax will show. That’s your best bet.

A bumper accident is not a problem if that’s all it was. But like was said, if it’s marked on the title, and shows accident history, resale will suffer in terms of value and market.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:04 AM
pcasanova
Racer

Understood. The notarized info was more as a re-assurance that more damage was not found after. i.e. They remove bumper during repair and find additional damage.

Not trying to be a "nut", but covering my basis while I can.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:25 AM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

maybe keep looking for another 996 with no story or "drama?

Trending Topics

Old 11-07-2018, 11:41 AM
pcasanova
Racer

Picking my battles.

This one has this blemish but comes with good service history, especially the last 3 yrs. My indy has been servicing it and has provided me worst case scenarios for repairs along with a plan to address them.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:10 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

If resale is a concern to you, pass on this car...Otherwise buy it and enjoy it!

Quick Reply: Best practices for documenting an accident