996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

I believe in sharing the road, but...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 12:23 PM
CJWessing
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I believe in sharing the road, but...

...had to follow a large group of bikers yesterday for about 15 minutes going up Angeles Crest Highway going ~5mph until the we had a safe passing zone. Speed limit was 45 mph. Something doesn't seem right here?

Old 11-04-2018, 12:32 PM
su8pack1
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I've come across that many times where they block the entire lane. They want all the same rights of the road as vehicles, but most follow none. They run stop lights and stop signs, run the reds on school busses etc...
Old 11-04-2018, 12:42 PM
911Dreamin
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by su8pack1
I've come across that many times where they block the entire lane. They want all the same rights of the road as vehicles, but most follow none. They run stop lights and stop signs, run the reds on school busses etc...
Bikers have increasingly taken to "blocking" the lane as an attempt to increase safety when riding. This may seem counter intuitive but too many drivers are distracted or just plain not courteous. Just presenting another POV.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:42 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 597 Posts

CJ,
I want to thank you for your patience and forebearance. As a long-time triathlete and cyclist, I appreciate drivers who aren’t trying to kill me. As a driver I don’t enjoy witnessing cyclists being grossly inconsiderate. That pace line is far too big for the Crest Hwy! The ride leaders should’ve broken that group into at least 3 spread by 1/4 mile between to allow for safety buffers on that grade. Cheers!
Old 11-04-2018, 01:27 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Can't stand it when these guys act like it's their road and have their own rules...Some roads are just not bike friendly!
Old 11-04-2018, 01:32 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Can't stand it when these guys act like it's their road and have their own rules...Some roads are just not bike friendly!
I cycle. And I agree. There are roads I refuse to ride, particularly enthusiast roads for cars/motorcycles.

They aren't breaking laws though. And they are to be treated as another vehicle. Frustrating, yes. And I wish that all people, regardless of mode of transport, would consider other's around them - but they are allowed to use the road and to treat it just like they are any other vehicle.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:11 PM
911Syncro
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

Here is one California vehicle code on driving too slowly: 22400. (a) No person shall drive upon a highway at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic unless the reduced speed is necessary for safe operation, because of a grade, or in compliance with law.

Also here is your trivia question: What is the speed limit on a CA road? Ans: The posted speed limit or whatever speed is the maximum safe speed. So for example you can get a speeding ticket in a 50 mph zone if you are going only 30 mph and the observing officer decides that is too fast to be safe (rain, obstacles, snow, etc I suppose).
Old 11-04-2018, 06:16 PM
Tommy Tuite
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Drive earlier. Do your recon on the way down hills and scout for slower users that you'll see on the way back up. Certainly not all road users apply common sense, but that's life.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:32 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

For a single biker or a small biking group I rarely have trouble going severely left in my lane, sometimes even straddling the line if visibility is fine to give them some security and respect. This is byproduct of coal rollers, and other a-holes who for some reason do not recognize a human being on a bicycle as a human being and mess with them. I've read plenty of articles of bikers being run off the road by animals who should not have licenses. My poor senior-age parents are still avid bikers, bless them, and I worry about them every time they hit the rural roads .

Safety in numbers... I understand the frustration.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:52 PM
DBC
Instructor

Originally Posted by iammacey
I cycle. And I agree. There are roads I refuse to ride, particularly enthusiast roads for cars/motorcycles.

They aren't breaking laws though. And they are to be treated as another vehicle. Frustrating, yes. And I wish that all people, regardless of mode of transport, would consider other's around them - but they are allowed to use the road and to treat it just like they are any other vehicle.
BS! They are unlicensed, uninsured and unregistered. They are impeding the flow of traffic for licensed, registered and insured vehicles and are not allowed to use the road just like any other vehicle, try taking your bicycle on the freeway and see what happens. Groups like this create a danger to themselves and others because of their arrogance toward the legal vehicles on the road and the flagrant violation of VTL. Biggest liability nightmare to legal vehicles on the road are these bicyclist groups.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:24 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

I must admit, my wife bikes even with that I get furious about bikers capturing the whole road instead of staying to the side...the problem is it just takes one guy to do that and then you get prejudiced against the whole bunch. Can't wait to see the outcome of this thread.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:57 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 597 Posts

To comment on DBC’s rant: Read NY Vehicle and Traffic Law (VTL) – §1231. Bicycles are legal vehicles or afforded the same rights as vehicles, in every state. I’ll also bet every single rider in that group has a DL. Statistically, take NY for example, 94% of all drivers (at least) are estimated to be insured. The biggest liability nightmare for today’s driver is a distracted driver. NHTSA reports 9 people die each day and 1,000 are injured in accidents involving distracted drivers. Also, bad cyclist behavior doesn’t warrant bad (or illegal) driver behavior. I don’t like seeing anyone in a car or on a bike mess things up for anyone else on the road because they’re rudely inconsiderate or ignorant of the rest of us. Unfortunately, that’s a statistic on a big uptick.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:17 AM
Flyfishnick
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts

I bike too and it can be scary either way, in a car or on a bike. I do a couple of rides a year, long distance like the Seattle to Portland ride. Lots of bikers, but the groups I ride with stay single file or get yelled at. I won't ride with the groups "that own the road". It's not worth it. I don't want a car to have to come near me (or anyone for that matter) so I play it safe for everyone. While driving, I have come up on some groups going through twisty mountain roads outside Napa, CA and what a scare. The bicyclists are much braver than I. There is no way I would bike those beautiful hills and all blind corners. I will admit though, I have been going downhill on a road with tight turns that I will take the middle of the inside lane if there are 2 lanes in the same direction, but I am exceeding the speed limit at that point
(That is usually when I say "God, please don't let anything break right now") Going 45-50mph on 2 skinny wheels can be exhilarating, but it has to be a the right place at the right time.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:57 AM
Debo18D
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

D.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:19 AM
DBC
Instructor

Originally Posted by hatchetf15
To comment on DBC’s rant: Read NY Vehicle and Traffic Law (VTL) – §1231. Bicycles are legal vehicles or afforded the same rights as vehicles, in every state. I’ll also bet every single rider in that group has a DL. Statistically, take NY for example, 94% of all drivers (at least) are estimated to be insured. The biggest liability nightmare for today’s driver is a distracted driver. NHTSA reports 9 people die each day and 1,000 are injured in accidents involving distracted drivers. Also, bad cyclist behavior doesn’t warrant bad (or illegal) driver behavior. I don’t like seeing anyone in a car or on a bike mess things up for anyone else on the road because they’re rudely inconsiderate or ignorant of the rest of us. Unfortunately, that’s a statistic on a big uptick.
DH, it's not a rant, it's a comment about bicyclists flagrantly violating the law. Again, these bicyclist groups pose a great danger to themselves and the legal vehicles on the roadway. § 1234b - Persons riding bicycles or skating or gliding on in-line skates upon a roadway shall ride, skate, or glide single file when being overtaken by a vehicle. Again, driving on general use roads, not closed roadways or bicycle paths in groups with 2,3,5 abreast are a danger to themselves and the legally licensed and insured vehicles on the road.

I guess a group of 10,20,30,50 bicyclists should drive however they see fit on public roads or should they drive in a single file? The roads around here are all in use at all times by motorized vehicles, so the idea that bicyclist groups should not agree in advance to protect themselves and others by riding single file or at max, 2 abreast so they can get into single file quickly and efficiently as they are being overtaken by cars would be appropriate. To date, I can unequivocally say that I have never seen bicyclist group display ANY behavior that respects the roadway for cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc.

Quick Reply: I believe in sharing the road, but...