996 rear lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 06:02 PM
Want to be
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 996 rear lights

Hi,
I've got a friend who's 911 (2000 996) rear brake and lid lights stay on when driving the car.

The rear lights shut off when the car is turned off.

I don't think it's the brake switch since it turns off once the car is not running.

I tried to look at the brake switch but it was blocked by a cheese holed plastic box. I'd assume the heater box. Idk.

While unplugging the lights we then came across an issue where the turn DS rear signal would stay on if the lights were on but would turn off if the lights were off.

The issue went away after I replugged the lid light.

I checked the fuses. All were good!

Any ideas? Thanks
Old 10-27-2018, 07:34 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Bad ground
Old 10-27-2018, 07:53 PM
Want to be
Three Wheelin'

Any ideas of where to look?
Old 10-27-2018, 08:50 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Want to be
Any ideas of where to look?

Start at the brake light switch! As with most Euro cars, the brake light switch is ONLY powered when the key is on. Meaning, when the car is working correctly, if you were to apply the brakes with the ignition in the off position the lights will NOT come one. It is highly likely that your brake light switch is stuck in the on position (shorted internally) which causes the brake lights to be on while the key is on.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:00 PM
Want to be
Three Wheelin'

Thanks.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:20 PM
Want to be
Three Wheelin'

Hello.

Quick question. Which of the two pictures is the brake switch? The switch we bought matches the clutch switch. I unhooked the red switch from the clutch area and the car still started. I'm bit confused here. Any guidance is much appreciated.

I've added two more pictures. Displays the two switches from clutch area together and the part number we had ordered.
Attached Images     
Old 11-10-2018, 02:47 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

by the wiring diagram it should be the switch that has a solid black wire and an black with a orange line wire. So by your picture ita the black switch and not the red one.

Old 11-10-2018, 04:31 PM
Want to be
Three Wheelin'

Thank you.

Please see attached picture.
Then is this the switch? Why is it different?

It's a friends car, so I'll need to look at it again but if the switch is the one below we might have the wrong part.

I noticed on eBay they showed two different switch parts for the rear brakes lights.

The two parts I was comparing was the new switch and clutch / cruise control switch I'm finding out.

I've attached another switch which is also supposedly a brake switch. It look very similar to what would but up to the car.

I watched a video online which was all wrong
Attached Images   

Last edited by Want to be; 11-10-2018 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:07 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

OK here is what I found. I believe the part you purchased is correct but you removed the wrong one from the car. From what I show the correct part number for the brake light switch is 99661311302. The correct switch to remove from the car is the last switch that you showed in your pictures with the black and black/orange wire. You could check the old switch with a multi meter prior to removal to confirm it is the issue. With the key on the Black wire should have battery voltage (roughly 12 volts) assuming the brake pedal is not applied, the black/orange wire should NOT have any voltage. If it does than the switch is most likely bad (it could be a short to voltage in the wire harness but that's doubtful). The black/orange wire should only have power in the event the brake pedal is depressed.

For some reason I cannot located the clutch switch in my wiring diagrams. I can only assume the differences in the two switch's is that the stop light switch is normally open - meaning depressing the brake pedal closes the circuit which applies voltage. The clutch switch may possible be just the opposite and it I normally closed and the circuit gets broken when the clutch is applied. Again this is only a guess since I cannot see a diagram of the circuit.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:39 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

100% confirmed it for you now. I found another diagram of the cruise control. The red switch you showed on the clutch pedal is ONLY for cruise control cancel. The diagram agrees with your picture of the red switch and indicates the wire colors as black and yellow/grey. The brake light switch (the black switch) has two purposes which explains 3 wires. The solid black wire is the power source. The black/orange is the power to the brake lights when the pedal is depressed. The third wire you see in the pic, black/red, is also for cruise cancel when the brake pedal is depressed. So at this point you have the correct switch purchased. You just have to replace the correct one under the dash. Hope this helps.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:39 PM
Want to be
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the help.

I could be wrong but it appears the part number you posted has two different versions.

Round example like the pocket just above and the one we just bought.

Anywho. I'll check the voltage as you mentioned.
Attached Images  
Old 11-10-2018, 09:51 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

I guess I am missing something then. The picture you show with the red arrows above is 100% the brake light switch. When I search the part number I list, it shows the same switch as you pictured with the red arrows. If there are any difference they could be design improvement's?
Old 11-11-2018, 08:16 AM
Want to be
Three Wheelin'

Using the brake switch part number in google. Ive found the round switch is 8-10 dollars and the square switch is 22-30.

So, I'm hoping the connector will disconnect easily and connect to the square version.

It's not my car so I'll access it again soon and let you guys know.

Appreciate the help.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:12 PM
Want to be
Three Wheelin'

Update. Removed the junk cheap switch pictured and replaced it with the factory style PB posted previously. Easy job, just confused because of the older switch difference.

Brake light issue resolved.

Next problem. Turn signal light on dash stays on when the headlight switch is on.

No issues when the headlight is off.

Any ideas.

Thanks
Attached Images  
Old 12-01-2018, 06:13 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Headlight switch is a known failing part that causes weird things to happen.

Quick Reply: 996 rear lights