Sponsored by:

'99 tiptragic vert high miles appraisal

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 11:28 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Default '99 tiptragic vert high miles appraisal

I don't think 150,000 miles is a lot for a 1999 car, but it's a lot for a 996. Local guy is dumping his and, assuming its drivable, was thinking of getting it and doing some light restoration (just maintenance nothing crazy), enjoying it for awhile and then selling.

The '99s have seen some popularity recently since they are throttle cable, but I'm not sure that matters since it's an automatic trans. I'm not interested in doing a manual swap.

What kind of market value does this realistically have? $12k? $10k?
Old 10-25-2018, 11:34 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Got some pictures? $9-13K depending on condition and service history. Use KBB, Auto Trader and Car Gurus to see what the market says. But be careful...cheap cars usually end up costing a lot.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:02 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

I agree cheap cars can cost a lot. There are a couple of potato camera pics the guy gave me. It looks straight in those but who knows. I'm gonna go try and look at it this week.

I haven't seen the interior, but replacement seats are pretty easy to come by at this point. I also have all the detailing tools, and a 3D printer.

The outside is that horrible metallic gold paint. Fortunately I live in Florida so someone here will probably like it.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:08 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Got some pictures? $9-13K depending on condition and service history. Use KBB, Auto Trader and Car Gurus to see what the market says. But be careful...cheap cars usually end up costing a lot.
Yep, I was thinking $10K depending upon condition.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:18 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

I like that over the silver to be honest LOL! .
I had a chance to buy this one with 60K for $10K two owner TIP and missed it.

Last edited by 808Bill; 10-25-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:42 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 644 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by knfeparty
I'm not sure that matters since it's an automatic trans. I'm not interested in doing a manual swap.
I can't quite tell from your post, but if you prefer a manual transmission, definitely wait to find a manual car. At a minimum, drive a 6-speed before you commit to buying a Tip so you have experience with both. Of course, if you prefer automatic, disregard all of the above
Old 10-25-2018, 12:58 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

I haven't seen the interior, but replacement seats are pretty easy to come by at this point. I also have all the detailing tools, and a 3D printer.

The outside is that horrible metallic gold paint. Fortunately I live in Florida so someone here will probably like it.
You mention that you are buying it for short term ownership. If you are buying it just for fun, then go for it. If you are buying it short term to try to flip it for a profit, I think that's a really bad idea. In the best of circumstances, you won't make much money on a gold Tiptronic car, and if you find anything serious wrong with the car, you will be very upside-down on your "investment". I guess if you get a thorough PPI you can minimize risk a bit, but I don't think a Tip is a good investment at all. If you can find a 6-speed with full leather in the right colors and the right options, that is undervalued, then maybe you could flip successfully, but even that would not be without risk.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:04 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Originally Posted by peterp
You mention that you are buying it for short term ownership. If you are buying it just for fun, then go for it. If you are buying it short term to try to flip it for a profit, I think that's a really bad idea. In the best of circumstances, you won't make much money on a gold Tiptronic car, and if you find anything serious wrong with the car, you will be very upside-down on your "investment". I guess if you get a thorough PPI you can minimize risk a bit, but I don't think a Tip is a good investment at all. If you can find a 6-speed with full leather in the right colors and the right options, that is undervalued, then maybe you could flip successfully, but even that would not be without risk.
Wise words Peter.

I have owned a (manual, as they all are) 40th anniversary for about a decade now. I am very confident in my ability to assess the condition of the car, and I have all the tools for working on them.

My work commute is 20 miles and is tough in a manual. It would be a fun commute car with the top down here in sunny Florida now that the rainy season is over. If I ran into a major issue like D-chunk or IMS then yes, I would be screwed out of my up-front money, able to recover what I could from a part-out.

This is definitely the type of buy that I will do only if I am certain that the car is in good, drivable shape and I can get the price way down.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:11 PM
parris
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

I like this comment
Old 10-25-2018, 01:58 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

... I have owned a (manual, as they all are) 40th anniversary for about a decade now. I am very confident in my ability to assess the condition of the car, and I have all the tools for working on them.

My work commute is 20 miles and is tough in a manual. It would be a fun commute car with the top down here in sunny Florida now that the rainy season is over. If I ran into a major issue like D-chunk or IMS then yes, I would be screwed out of my up-front money, able to recover what I could from a part-out.
Sorry I didn't notice that you were already a long-term 996 owner, and know about the potential issues, when I posted that comment - did not mean to "preach to the choir". Those are perfect circumstances for a Tip, so it makes sense given that you know the lay of the land on 996's.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:04 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Originally Posted by peterp
Sorry I didn't notice that you were already a long-term 996 owner, and know about the potential issues, when I posted that comment - did not mean to "preach to the choir". Those are perfect circumstances for a Tip, so it makes sense given that you know the lay of the land on 996's.
No offense taken, sir. Your advice would have been spot-on for someone looking for their first 996. I've had two cayenne turbos, and the Tip is the only automatic transmission that I can stand driving. Haven't driven one in a 996 but I imagine it will be as good or better than my 955 was.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:51 PM
Tommy Tuite
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I picked up my 99 tip a month ago. I LOVE IT. I lived with a 6 spd for years and the tip is a welcome substitut for my measly 10 mile commutte. I did just put in a 3 spoke wheel and noticed the buttons are much easier to use. I hav/e paddles arriveing soon to add as well. This transmission is awesome.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:00 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

thanks for the feedback!
Old 10-25-2018, 03:29 PM
hauspwr
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love driving manual transmissions, and own an Audi S4 Manual, which is great... I bought my TIP 996 because it was available from a friend, in the right condition at an amazing price. I always thought i would sell it and buy a manual... LOVE THE TIP. it's a great transmission, still very rewarding to drive. It's not a manual, but i don't mind it at all! Good luck!

Quick Reply: '99 tiptragic vert high miles appraisal