Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Anyone experienced an LN IMS Retrofit Failure?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 10:40 AM
Esfoad
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
That's all the more reason to have the "Solution" installed in my opinion. Good luck either way!
It’s like Pay me now or Pay me later. I think that either way the quality of the install makes all the difference and the extra verification that preferred “Solution” shops do does ensure you are protecting and engine in great shape. That said, my car runs so sweet and I am sure that when we get to replace the clutch and do the IMS again, I’ll have another 5-6 years of joy.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:28 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Esfoad

It’s like Pay me now or Pay me later.
Actually, in your case it would be, "Fool me once, shame on you... fool me twice, shame on me!"
Old 10-24-2018, 12:34 PM
Esfoad
Racer

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
Actually, in your case it would be, "Fool me once, shame on you... fool me twice, shame on me!"
Now that's mean. I have not been "fooled". But whatever. So long as we are both happy.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:09 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Now that's mean. I have not been "fooled". But whatever. So long as we are both happy.
Hahaha... ok. Well, I'm not implying you're being fooled or foolish at the moment. These cars have a very peculiar way of showing their asses. With some 29+ known modes of failure, things can take a turn for the worse without any warning and an owner's knee jerk reaction can lead themselves down the money pit hole. For example, bore scoring can be misdiagnosed as noisy lifters because it produces the same type of sound. There is no telling how many times people have replaced coils, batteries, cables, etc... but realized the real problem was a simple ignition switch - a well known wear part. Get my drift?

Rock on!
Old 10-24-2018, 01:14 PM
Esfoad
Racer

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
Hahaha... ok. Well, I'm not implying you're being fooled or foolish at the moment. These cars have a very peculiar way of showing their asses. With some 29+ known modes of failure, things can take a turn for the worse without any warning and an owner's knee jerk reaction can lead themselves down the money pit hole. For example, bore scoring can be misdiagnosed as noisy lifters because it produces the same type of sound. There is no telling how many times people have replaced coils, batteries, cables, etc... but realized the real problem was a simple ignition switch - a well known wear part. Get my drift?

Rock on!
I HATE discussion by text. So many ways to misunderstand what someone is saying. BTW, check the thread here about Corvettes others have owned and their issues. I think it goes with the territory. Once a car gets old, things break. Doesn’t matter who makes it. But one thing for sure, these cars can be expensive to fix. I prefer to drive “smart/dumb” hoping the worst doesn’t happen to me!! No offense taken at all.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:23 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

I HATE discussion by text. So many ways to misunderstand what someone is saying. BTW, check the thread here about Corvettes others have owned and their issues. I think it goes with the territory. Once a car gets old, things break. Doesn’t matter who makes it. But one thing for sure, these cars can be expensive to fix. I prefer to drive “smart/dumb” hoping the worst doesn’t happen to me!! No offense taken at all.
Amen to that! The written form of communication can be very impersonal and easily misunderstood. Emojes have helped, but still, text doesn't always allow you to gauge the context and tone when someone makes a remark. When I'm having to re-repair a device or something similar for the same problem, I may shout at it and say, "Fool me once... shame on you!" It's kind of a battle cry. Get my drift? Like Mel Gibson's Braveheart.

Quick Reply: Anyone experienced an LN IMS Retrofit Failure?