Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Anyone experienced an LN IMS Retrofit Failure?

Old 10-23-2018, 02:33 PM
Taus82
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone experienced an LN IMS Retrofit Failure?

I recently purchased a 2002 C2 and felt good about seeing the LN Retrofit Sticker. I can not pinpoint or find records of when the bearing was replaced. Based on the kit's serial number, I do know it's one of the earlier kits. Representative from LN said that it is due for replacement. Has anyone experienced a failure from their LN replacement? I feel good about the car but obviously always in the back of my mind. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:36 PM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 137 Posts

Howdy, due to a transmission issue, my engine was out a few years ago. The shop checked the IMS Retrofit bearing. It was a little loose/crunchy feeling. Had not failed yet. It had been in the car for 4 years and about 25,000 miles. Replaced it with the IMSS. Done.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:44 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

I would replace it with an IMS Solution and never worry about it ever again.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:13 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratchet1025
Howdy, due to a transmission issue, my engine was out a few years ago. The shop checked the IMS Retrofit bearing. It was a little loose/crunchy feeling. Had not failed yet. It had been in the car for 4 years and about 25,000 miles. Replaced it with the IMSS. Done.
That seems really low miles etc for a failing bearing, was it single row? is it possible they really damaged it as they remove it? bearing extraction does damage the races but shouldn't be crunchy.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:14 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,070 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Taus82
I recently purchased a 2002 C2 and felt good about seeing the LN Retrofit Sticker. I can not pinpoint or find records of when the bearing was replaced. Based on the kit's serial number, I do know it's one of the earlier kits. Representative from LN said that it is due for replacement. Has anyone experienced a failure from their LN replacement? I feel good about the car but obviously always in the back of my mind. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
There have been failures of classic single rows as they are most susceptible to FOD, however there are kits that have been in service since 2008 and we've seen some of those come back looking and measuring exactly like new. There are many contributing factors to wear and tear on the replacement bearing, so replacement intervals are indicated as very conservative recommendations. It is important that when updating the bearing at time of service, that the pre-qualification procedure is followed again, as there are instances where conditions have changed since the original installation that can compromise the replacement bearing.

That said, the IMS Solution is pretty much impervious to FOD by design. Unless you have a rod failure that chops the IMS shaft in half, your IMS Solution will survive through most engine failures and be reuseable (after a good cleaning).

Likewise, we've had zero failures reported on the classic Dual Row or Single Row Pro.

Please don't pull your ims bearing to inspect it and then ask if it's good to put back in. We've had people do that. In fact, there is a seller on ebay now selling used LN bearings pulled from likely failed engines for reuse, which will for sure result in catastrophic failure!
Old 10-23-2018, 03:15 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris(MA)
That seems really low miles etc for a failing bearing, was it single row? is it possible they really damaged it as they remove it? bearing extraction does damage the races but shouldn't be crunchy.
Exactly. Extracting the bearing renders the bearing damaged and unusable.

If you take any ceramic bearing and wash it out, it will be noisy, and once extracted, will have noticeable notchiness.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:21 PM
Taus82
Track Day

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
There have been failures of classic single rows as they are most susceptible to FOD, however there are kits that have been in service since 2008 and we've seen some of those come back looking and measuring exactly like new. There are many contributing factors to wear and tear on the replacement bearing, so replacement intervals are indicated as very conservative recommendations. It is important that when updating the bearing at time of service, that the pre-qualification procedure is followed again, as there are instances where conditions have changed since the original installation that can compromise the replacement bearing.

That said, the IMS Solution is pretty much impervious to FOD by design. Unless you have a rod failure that chops the IMS shaft in half, your IMS Solution will survive through most engine failures and be reuseable (after a good cleaning).

Likewise, we've had zero failures reported on the classic Dual Row or Single Row Pro.

Please don't pull your ims bearing to inspect it and then ask if it's good to put back in. We've had people do that. In fact, there is a seller on ebay now selling used LN bearings pulled from likely failed engines for reuse, which will for sure result in catastrophic failure!
Thanks Charles. I do recall seeing you on this forum so I'm glad you responded. Will wait to inspect the bearing when I replace the clutch. Seeking opinions more for peace of mind.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:24 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Taus82
Thanks Charles. I do recall seeing you on this forum so I'm glad you responded. Will wait to inspect the bearing when I replace the clutch. Seeking opinions more for peace of mind.
It's best, when doing the clutch, just to replace the bearing. You're already there. Labor is overlapping.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:54 PM
Taus82
Track Day

It's best, when doing the clutch, just to replace the bearing. You're already there. Labor is overlapping.
Agree and will plan to do so. Which kit would you recommend that I replace with?
Old 10-23-2018, 05:16 PM
Esfoad
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

My personal opinion. These cars are made to be driven, not stored. I don't know if any data exists that might point to low mileage cars suffering more failures than higher mileage cars. It's interesting that there are many cars with way more than 100K miles that never had a failure. I replaced my IMS with an LN one when I bought it 2 years ago with 36K miles out of an abundance of caution, knowing that it's a replaceable part and somewhere within the 6 year suggested replacement window, I will need a new clutch and I will replace the bearing again. I can do this two or 3 times vs the cost of the Solution. I am not putting down the Solution in any way. It's a brilliant long term answer for those who store their cars. Even though I live in NJ, I make sure to drive my car when it's dry all year long. Can never get enough driving this car and they are made in Germany, uhh, where they have snow.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:30 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Esfoad
My personal opinion. These cars are made to be driven, not stored. I don't know if any data exists that might point to low mileage cars suffering more failures than higher mileage cars. It's interesting that there are many cars with way more than 100K miles that never had a failure. I replaced my IMS with an LN one when I bought it 2 years ago with 36K miles out of an abundance of caution, knowing that it's a replaceable part and somewhere within the 6 year suggested replacement window, I will need a new clutch and I will replace the bearing again. I can do this two or 3 times vs the cost of the Solution. I am not putting down the Solution in any way. It's a brilliant long term answer for those who store their cars. Even though I live in NJ, I make sure to drive my car when it's dry all year long. Can never get enough driving this car and they are made in Germany, uhh, where they have snow.
2 or 3 times if you do your own work and already have the tools but it won't hold the resale value that the Solution provides in my opinion...
Old 10-23-2018, 05:56 PM
Esfoad
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
2 or 3 times if you do your own work and already have the tools but it won't hold the resale value that the Solution provides in my opinion...
Cannot disagree with you on potential resale value. But for me the value is the driving. I’ll deal with the resale if/when I decide to change her. Right now she’s a long term purchase for me.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:30 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Esfoad

Cannot disagree with you on potential resale value. But for me the value is the driving. I’ll deal with the resale if/when I decide to change her. Right now she’s a long term purchase for me.
That's all the more reason to have the "Solution" installed in my opinion. Good luck either way!
Old 10-23-2018, 09:21 PM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 137 Posts

Exactly. Extracting the bearing renders the bearing damaged and unusable.

If you take any ceramic bearing and wash it out, it will be noisy, and once extracted, will have noticeable notchiness.

All good points, it is impossible for me to know how it all took place and in what order. I trusted the shop at the time, they told me was going bad and needed to be replaced. Now not so sure...
Old 10-24-2018, 09:43 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ratchet1025
All good points, it is impossible for me to know how it all took place and in what order. I trusted the shop at the time, they told me was going bad and needed to be replaced. Now not so sure...
We had one installed by a so called trusted shop and when the bearing they installed was pulled and returned to us, we found it full of debris. After cleaning and disassembly, we found not a mark in the bearing and it measured perfect. All the debris was FOD from something upstream that had contaminated the oil. Likewise, there is a video on YouTube uploaded by an internet expert that shows a "failing" LN bearing, when in fact any ceramic bearing that is washed to remove lube will sound like that. I take everything with a grain of salt. Trust but verify.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone experienced an LN IMS Retrofit Failure?