996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Any Corvette owners here?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 08:21 PM
professorman
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

I like corvettes, but I love the uniqueness of a 911 in my area. Corvettes everywhere, but not many Porsches
Old 10-25-2018, 12:20 PM
turbogrill
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

What I like with corvettes is that you have so many options when your engine goes kaboom at the track. With Corvettes you can buy junkyard iron truck engines for less than $2000 or spend a fortune on expensive racing engines.

The bad options for M96 start at $10k. I don't think you can even rebuild an M96 in your garage for much less than $10k!

With LSx all you need is youtube and Autozone.

But Corvettes do sound awful, it's like they never rev. They just make more sound the more throttle you give them. Like a Harley vs a Japanese sport bike.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:10 PM
Esfoad
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by turbogrill
What I like with corvettes is that you have so many options when your engine goes kaboom at the track. With Corvettes you can buy junkyard iron truck engines for less than $2000 or spend a fortune on expensive racing engines.

The bad options for M96 start at $10k. I don't think you can even rebuild an M96 in your garage for much less than $10k!

With LSx all you need is youtube and Autozone.

But Corvettes do sound awful, it's like they never rev. They just make more sound the more throttle you give them. Like a Harley vs a Japanese sport bike.
When your engine blows up, put in an LS. Many have done so, even the guys on Gas Monkey Garage. Trade originality for reliability. Not my cup of tea but a viable alternative.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:32 AM
MikeinBloomfield
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I crossed shopped C3s when I went looking for my first "fun" car, but ended up with the 928 because of the back seats for the kids and the performance was better. Corvettes across all the more recent generations are such good HP / dollar propositions. I just don't know where I'd put a second fun car, and I'm not ditching the 996 yet.

Also, every late model Vette I see being driven around here, the guy is always 100 years old. So, I've got some years before I'm allowed to have one. ha ha.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:46 AM
turbogrill
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeinBloomfield
Also, every late model Vette I see being driven around here, the guy is always 100 years old. So, I've got some years before I'm allowed to have one. ha ha.
Where I live that is the case for 911s

Quick Reply: Any Corvette owners here?