Sponsored by:

My entry into the P-car world

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 05:35 PM
details
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default My entry into the P-car world

Inspired by DGI and his DGI's Project 996 "Sally" thread, I'm beginning a thread too. This past Friday I purchased my first P-car, a 1999 coupe I found on Craigslist. I've wanted a Porsche since about 1981, so this is a long time coming.

Here are a few pictures from CL:

Generally it's in good shape. The frunk lid and deck lid are wrapped in vinyl and the spoiler in Plasti-Dip. My plan is to remove go back to silver, but not a rush. It has 110k miles and is a very low option car. The PO changed the clutch, RMS, and planned to change the IMS bearing but when he got in there he was surprised to find a non-serviceable bearing like the M97 engine. So he removed the bearing seal and put everything back together. As yet I haven't confirmed if it's an M97.

This will be my daily driver as it is replacing a 1993 Miata. I turn my own wrenches so I should be able to afford driving this car. So far I absolutely love it!

I've been watching the P-car market for the last six to eight months. It all started when I ran across a local Boxster on Craigslist. I drove that car but it was too much of a project and didn't financially make sense. I began doing research and thought that I might be able to get into a early Boxster for reasonable money. Then I noticed that the 996 models were going for good prices (although I apparently missed the really good prices from a few years ago).

This thread will be slow moving since I don't have a ton of money left and I need to prepare my Miata for sale. Plus I have several other cars to maintain.

And... I'll ask a question: The front license plate bracket was barely holding on when I got the car. Only one screw was actually connected to anything! I removed it to see what the problem was but after I removed it I couldn't tell what the screw had been attached to! I suspect that whatever it was attached to fell down into the bumper housing--although I didn't hear anything fall and nothing hit the garage floor. So, what are those screws supposed to attach to?
Old 10-16-2018, 05:51 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Congrats on the purchase. Not sure about the plate. I am lucky enough to live in a state that does not require one.

You don't have an M97, but an M96 with some M97 parts. It is likely a remanufactured motor from Porsche. Check the engine serial number (located to the left of the oil pan). If the letters AT appear, it is a remanufactured motor.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:55 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Looks like a fun project car!
Old 10-16-2018, 06:02 PM
details
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy
Congrats on the purchase. Not sure about the plate. I am lucky enough to live in a state that does not require one.

You don't have an M97, but an M96 with some M97 parts. It is likely a remanufactured motor from Porsche. Check the engine serial number (located to the left of the oil pan). If the letters AT appear, it is a remanufactured motor.
I didn't know M97 parts could go on a M96, but I'm learning. I too suspect it's a rebuild. I haven't gotten under the car yet to look at the serial number--perhaps tonight. Thanks for the info!

If indeed it's an M97 style non-serviceable IMS bearing I'm thinking of getting the technoFix DOF from Pedro's Garage. I'd think it's a better idea than just holding my breath.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:07 PM
details
Instructor

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
Looks like a fun project car!
Well, so far, I'm absolutely loving it! As long as I don't suffer something catastrophic in the near future my affair will continue.

Sure, it's a silver over black 996. Less desirable that some color combos. And very few options (* see below). But for those of us on a beer budget and used to driving Miatas, it's awesome! A dream come true actually.

_____
Options:
437 - 8-way electrical seat, left
438 - 8-way electrical seat, right
537 - Seat memory, left
692 - 6-disc CD
Old 10-16-2018, 06:25 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

You win! Betting yo got it at a very fair price with low options and just over 100k miles, but with new style engine.

Being a DIY, you'll be visiting this forum fairly often. There is a good wealth of experience here, almost as good as the 928 forum. Plenty of DIY jobs that are covered well in these threads. Things to keep in mind as you enjoy your ride:

Keylock module replacement
Water pump and low temp thermostat replacement
Y starter alternator cable upgrade
Rear motor mount replacement
AOS replacement (air oil sep)
Radiator/condenser cleaning
center third radiator upgrade
LN full flow oil filter mod
Deep sump pan and baffle upgrade

Searching on these will produce plenty of hits. I did most all of these within the first 2 years of ownership. Nothing too hard, and very gratifying to complete. The only one that will leave you stranded is the keylock ign module. Buy one and have handy just in case.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:26 PM
MikeinBloomfield
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Here's the front license plate kit that I used: https://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/ksearch/pel_search_2016.cgi?command=show_part_page&please_wait=NG&make=POR&model =927&section=BDYEXT&page=3&bookmark=8&part_number=PEL-996-BRACKET

The screws that I have screw into pieces that press fit into the existing holes in the bumper. That does not look like what you have, the license plate is too close to the bumper. Also, the bumper is pretty easy to take off, but I haven't seen any of these brackets that require that.

I would order a new one, but investigate the tow-hole version, lots of folks like that one. The pelican one is still pretty fragile (license plate got ripped off in a car wash).

Good luck! I've had mine a year and a half and I've loved every minute.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:30 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Originally Posted by details
And very few options (* see below). But for those of us on a beer budget and used to driving Miatas, it's awesome! A dream come true actually.

_____
Options:
437 - 8-way electrical seat, left
438 - 8-way electrical seat, right
537 - Seat memory, left
692 - 6-disc CD
Call me strange, but I prefer lower optioned vehicles.
I wish mine didn’t have electric seats.
I removed my CD changer, and have thought about dumping the Kenwood double din stereo and reinstalling the original radio. (It was included with the car)
Then a console delete would be possible.
My autodimming side mirrors have been replaced with European aspheric mirrors.
I like having all the options in my wife’s minivan, but the Porsche should only have what’s necessary IMHO.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:41 PM
su8pack1
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Congrats.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:44 PM
details
Instructor

Originally Posted by docmirror
You win! Betting yo got it at a very fair price with low options and just over 100k miles, but with new style engine.
Well, I think I got it at a very fair price; < $15k. Others may think I overpaid. It's a driver, not a garage queen, which is exactly what I wanted. If the engine doesn't grenade in the next year I'll know I got a good deal.

Thanks for the list, I'll be scrutinizing it over the next day or two. Some of those things I was aware of, others are new to me.

Last edited by details; 11-08-2018 at 02:55 PM. Reason: edit price
Old 10-16-2018, 06:53 PM
details
Instructor

Originally Posted by MikeinBloomfield
Here's the front license plate kit that I used: https://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin...EL-996-BRACKET

The screws that I have screw into pieces that press fit into the existing holes in the bumper. That does not look like what you have, the license plate is too close to the bumper. Also, the bumper is pretty easy to take off, but I haven't seen any of these brackets that require that.

I would order a new one, but investigate the tow-hole version, lots of folks like that one. The pelican one is still pretty fragile (license plate got ripped off in a car wash).

Good luck! I've had mine a year and a half and I've loved every minute.
TBH that kit you linked to looks exceptionally similar to what the car has. Well other than the washers. If I scroll further down on that page I see "Expanding Nut for License Plate Bracket" which is what I think I'm missing. This car was in Maryland before Virginia, so the PO may have added the front license kit recently and not gotten the expanding nuts. I don't know what the one screw was anchoring to before. I wonder if I can find something similar at a local auto parts store...

While I like the tow hole version, spending ~$5 versus $125 right now is a win. Perhaps in the future...
Old 10-16-2018, 06:59 PM
firecall
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by details
Well, so far, I'm absolutely loving it! As long as I don't suffer something catastrophic in the near future my affair will continue.

Sure, it's a silver over black 996. Less desirable that some color combos.
I dont know about that :-) To me the Silver over Black is the most desirable colour option. With Black on Black being the second and white a distant third place :-)
Old 10-16-2018, 07:03 PM
firecall
Advanced

The engine will be fine....

Having read everything I could find about IMS issues very recently, it would be a good bet to think you have nothing to worry about at this point. Especially if you drive it daily.
I picked up a similar model last month that does have an LNS replacement bearing. However I almost wish it hadnt been replaced; it's now got a service part instead of a lifetime part. At some point the LNS part will need replacing, whereas the Porsche part was designed to last the life of the engine.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:10 PM
firecall
Advanced

Agreed.

Less options can be a win.

Although mine has options I do like: the 3-spoke sports steering wheel, full leather interior - headlining, pillars etc.. and the ruched leather seats whatever that is called and Traction Control.

Not that I've ever needed the traction control - but it works when you provoke it on a wet corner :-D

Previous owner did upgrade the original CD stereo unit, which works well and has a USB hookup in the centre console, but I'd like to go back to the original for aesthetics.

Sports seats I'd like as an option actually....
Old 10-16-2018, 07:24 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by firecall
At some point the LNS part will need replacing, whereas the Porsche part was designed to last the life of the engine.
I will take exception to this. The ball bearing design may have been idealized as a lifetime component of the engine, however it has shown a remarkable propensity to fail and cause catastrophic damage. That is not me who says so, but the class action court order against Porsche. It was a design fault, and an implementation fault rolled together. It is a 100% failure item when compared to the 'life of the engine' and should be serviced/replaced no matter what was in there from the factory.

edit; One can quibble about the 'life of engine' and degrade the number to around 20 years or 3000 miles, which ever comes first. In that respect then yes, it would be a 'lifetime' component.

Quick Reply: My entry into the P-car world