996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 C4S tire sizes

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 10:22 PM
ajgordin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I totally understand where you are coming from OP. I, too, have looked into tire options in anticipation of when I have to replace mine. Unfortunately, almost all of the OEM-sized tires are N-rated options that are still made (bridgestone, pirelli, michelin PS2) and are very expensive ($13-1400/set iirc), and not as good as modern options such as the PS4S (they cost more too). Even the stock 19" 997 tires offer cheaper alternatives for good tires such as conti extreme sport contact or bridgestone s-04 (both run about $1,000 per set).

I'm hoping that Michelin starts offering the PS4S in our size, but dont see it being highly likely. I may either go to a 19" wheel or try out a set of the Sumitumo tires for less than half the price. A lot of guys on the turbo forums seem to like them as strath said.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:23 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3junkie
Interesting. Need to crunch up some numbers tonight to map out the possibilities... Sounds like as long as front tires have a diameter greater than the rear we're good.
Porsche say to get it as close to even as possible, but definitely not to exceed 3% circumference difference. Many people on the forums have said that having front slightly larger than rear is the preference (vs. the rear being larger than front). I've found this to be true. The rear tires are typically inflated to a higher pressure, and increases their size - so I'm guessing that has a lot to do with it.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:47 PM
parris
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

I have mines mounted with 235/35 R19 (25,5 Diameter) on the front and 295/30 R19 (26 Diameter) on the back, four corners on Michelin Super Sport.

I think it should be a good setup, since it is the standard setup for the 997 C4S with 19"s, and the AWD system is basically the same (997.1 had the same viscous multiplate clutch).

I also have read several times that the rear diameter should be as close as the front as possible (or even smaller) but I dont know what is the basis for that, taking into consideration the 997 setup is like that.

An alternative could be, to mount on the rear 285/30 R19, which are closer to the front (25,7) and will fit on the 11" wide wheels.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:02 AM
GT3junkie
Track Day

Originally Posted by ajgordin
I totally understand where you are coming from OP. I, too, have looked into tire options in anticipation of when I have to replace mine. Unfortunately, almost all of the OEM-sized tires are N-rated options that are still made (bridgestone, pirelli, michelin PS2) and are very expensive ($13-1400/set iirc), and not as good as modern options such as the PS4S (they cost more too). Even the stock 19" 997 tires offer cheaper alternatives for good tires such as conti extreme sport contact or bridgestone s-04 (both run about $1,000 per set).

I'm hoping that Michelin starts offering the PS4S in our size, but dont see it being highly likely. I may either go to a 19" wheel or try out a set of the Sumitumo tires for less than half the price. A lot of guys on the turbo forums seem to like them as strath said.
Thank you for your reply. I've decided to go the Sumitomo route until I figure out get new wheels. the PS4S are very well worth the price. They are in my opinion the Best all around premium tires on the market.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:05 AM
GT3junkie
Track Day

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by charlieaf92
Porsche say to get it as close to even as possible, but definitely not to exceed 3% circumference difference. Many people on the forums have said that having front slightly larger than rear is the preference (vs. the rear being larger than front). I've found this to be true. The rear tires are typically inflated to a higher pressure, and increases their size - so I'm guessing that has a lot to do with it.
Interesting... Thank you for the info. It helps a lot.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:26 AM
GT3junkie
Track Day

Originally Posted by parris
I have mines mounted with 235/35 R19 (25,5 Diameter) on the front and 295/30 R19 (26 Diameter) on the back, four corners on Michelin Super Sport.

I think it should be a good setup, since it is the standard setup for the 997 C4S with 19"s, and the AWD system is basically the same (997.1 had the same viscous multiplate clutch).

I also have read several times that the rear diameter should be as close as the front as possible (or even smaller) but I dont know what is the basis for that, taking into consideration the 997 setup is like that.

An alternative could be, to mount on the rear 285/30 R19, which are closer to the front (25,7) and will fit on the 11" wide wheels.
Interesting info. Will look into that If I go the 19" route. Thank you!
Old 10-19-2018, 04:12 PM
Simon Guertin
AutoX

Originally Posted by GT3junkie
Hello,

Before I get cited by the forums Police for asking these questions, YES I've spent hours searching and reading other posts. I have not found the answer.

I want to buy MICHELIN PILOT SPORT 4S for all four, however they're not available in 285/30/18 that's recommended by the owners' manual but they are available in 285/35/18.

Ideally I'd like to have the 225/40/18 in the front and 285/35/18 on stock wheels if it doesn't cause any issues.

Please also share what tire sizes you've successfully run on your 4S stock wheels.

Thank you!
I have the same issue, but for the C2. I have purchased the correct size tires for the front, but my rear tires are still good for another 2 years.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:49 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

My C4S came with 225/40/18's one the front and 295/30/18's on the rear. I have 235/40/18's and 295/30/18 on a set od Kenisis rims and 225/35/19's with 305/30/19's on a set of 997 TT rims, For St Louis, the 19's gave me too harsh a ride with a crap roads.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:54 AM
parris
Pro

Originally Posted by strathconaman
If you want the awd system to work, the front tires must have a diameter greater than the rear.
I have read that a lot of times, but as far as I know, there is not technical justification for that. Where did you get that information?
Actually, the 997.1, which shares the same AWD system than the 996, runs on wheels with bigger diameter on front. Besides, according to Adrian Streather statement in his book "Suprem Porsche", there is no documentation or technical reason for that requirement neither.

Just want to know if I am missing anything.

Old 10-29-2018, 12:28 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by parris
I have read that a lot of times, but as far as I know, there is not technical justification for that. Where did you get that information?
Actually, the 997.1, which shares the same AWD system than the 996, runs on wheels with bigger diameter on front. Besides, according to Adrian Streather statement in his book "Suprem Porsche", there is no documentation or technical reason for that requirement neither.
So, the 997.1 and 996 share the same front limited slip viscus coupling system. It works like a torque converter, in that power is transferred when the input shaft (running from the front of the transmission) is turning faster than the output shaft (leading to the front, open differential). The actual viscus clutch part number is the same between 997.1 and 996

In the 996 this means power is only transferred forward because the rear tires are smaller than the front, and that, coupled with the final drive ratio for the front sets the conditions for the input shaft to turn faster than the output. The 997.1 has a different final drive ratio for the front. So the rear tires can be larger than the front, but the input shaft still spins faster.

What I don't know is if the different front final drive ratio is built into the G97/31 gearbox or if it is in the front open differential on the 997.1.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:30 PM
parris
Pro

Thanks Strathconaman,

What you mention, is only valid for the "stationary" split of power between both axles. If you modify the circumference of the wheels, you are modifying the differential speed between both shafts. Even though, that effect is really low (in comparison with the effect of the final drive ratios) on the split of power between the rear and the front. We can be talking of having 4% in the front vs 5% in normal conditions. However, when the rear wheels spin faster because they slip, the 4WD system is going to work the same way.

I will tray to reproduce the part of the book that I mentioned where it is actually addressing exactly that aspect of the 4WD system.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:55 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

Have a read of pages 258 and 259 of Mr. Streather's book.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:11 PM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looking into some summer options and this thread has been a big help.
This site is great for comparing F/R options in relation to % difference for the AWD concern - https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Quick Reply: 996 C4S tire sizes