996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Mechanicus 996 project, your input is greatly appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 12:28 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

The bracket next to the tranny is for attaching the missing bell pan/splash shields. The loose nut looks like the diagonal (1 of 2) brace.
Have you bought a Bentley service manual?
Old 11-01-2018, 12:58 AM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

Did the previous owner mention the overheating issue?

Curious if you feel like the seller miss represented the car.

Hopefully the overheating issue can be solved easily.

To me this would be a car I wouldn't put too much money into but just have some fun with it.

Good luck!
Old 11-01-2018, 06:34 AM
Projekt EPiK
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

The under shroud looks like it is broken off, only the tabs remain. My 1999 C2 is the same way, I need to replace it. I think (hope for your sake) your overheating is a combo of things.. with the jump up and down in temp it is most likely an air bubble circulating. PO prob didn't bleed it properly.

I see it like this.. you bought it at a lot, probably taken as a trade in from the PO that had given up and bought a "practical" car. It was sitting in the back bc it was probably destined for a wholesale auction, but you spotted it 3 rows back. i'm guessing the sale was "as is".

It will be a long road, but you are on the right track and we're here to help, and it looks like you have the skillset needed to make it right. Labor is the huge factor on these cars for most people, take that out of the equation and the parts aren't necessarily cheap but manageable.. and so worth it as long as you aren't trying to make quick money on the car.

Get the coolant sorted, drain the oil and pull the pan..it's very simple and you will get an idea of the engine condition. Best of luck
Old 11-03-2018, 11:51 PM
mechanicus
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Projekt EPiK
The under shroud looks like it is broken off, only the tabs remain. My 1999 C2 is the same way, I need to replace it. I think (hope for your sake) your overheating is a combo of things.. with the jump up and down in temp it is most likely an air bubble circulating. PO prob didn't bleed it properly.

I see it like this.. you bought it at a lot, probably taken as a trade in from the PO that had given up and bought a "practical" car. It was sitting in the back bc it was probably destined for a wholesale auction, but you spotted it 3 rows back. i'm guessing the sale was "as is".

It will be a long road, but you are on the right track and we're here to help, and it looks like you have the skillset needed to make it right. Labor is the huge factor on these cars for most people, take that out of the equation and the parts aren't necessarily cheap but manageable.. and so worth it as long as you aren't trying to make quick money on the car.

Get the coolant sorted, drain the oil and pull the pan..it's very simple and you will get an idea of the engine condition. Best of luck
For an update, in the records I found that the water pump was replaced 3k miles ago. And after fixing that fan I haven’t had it go past the 0 sitting in traffic. But I suspect i just need to bleed it properly to release any air in the system. Today I dove it in the morning left it alone for 6 hours and when to look For more issues the coolant res looked low and hissed for awhile when I removed the cap. Also I had a problem with the old cap so I ordered and replaced it and no longer leaking fluid. And since the cap went bad I’ve had the coolant light flash slowly which by my research means it’s low on fluid but no one apparently sells distilled water here.

For the buying aspect it was in the lot of cars they just got. It was at my local dodge. They most likely got it that weekend because it didn’t even go through service yet. The PO has it for 10 months and drove it 2.5k miles.

Gotta leave for business meetings. So I’ll be ordering parts and doing research for a few weeks before getting into it.

So when I get back I plan on doing is the engine oil to royal purple and filter, transmission fluid, replacing the front bumper, side markers, buying a wrap (co worker wants to practice before doing his car and is gonna buy the tools) I actually have a long list that I’ll put up on here for what I plan on doing through the winter.

and still trying to figure out why it’s so unstable at 65+ and has horrible vibration at speed.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:37 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

I would not spend a dime on wrap until you get all the other issues addressed.
Motor mounts, tranny mount, $1500.00 in suspension components, belly pans, coolant hoses, etc...There's a big debate on oil, why not use the best?
Old 11-04-2018, 04:20 PM
mechanicus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 808Bill
I would not spend a dime on wrap until you get all the other issues addressed.
Motor mounts, tranny mount, $1500.00 in suspension components, belly pans, coolant hoses, etc...There's a big debate on oil, why not use the best?
The wrap is going to cost me between 500-600 in materials which isn’t a big deal to me but having something that doesn’t look like it’s been traveling with the “caravaners.”
motor mounts look to have been replace recently as with all rear suspension bushings.

Personally I think royal purple is the best. Moble1 is garbage compared to it. (Though this is testing with my scat pack charger)
Old 11-04-2018, 04:24 PM
mechanicus
Intermediate

Also someone’s “lady of the night” let their door swing open at full force next to me at a parking lot. Doesn’t look that bad in the picture but it is deep. Mustang gt500 owner didn’t even stay to say sorry or anything.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:37 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mechanicus
Also someone’s “lady of the night” let their door swing open at full force next to me at a parking lot. Doesn’t look that bad in the picture but it is deep. Mustang gt500 owner didn’t even stay to say sorry or anything.
People like that drive me nuts! Good luck with the project and keep us posted with lots of pics.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:29 PM
mechanicus
Intermediate

So this part is broken on passenger side, it doesn’t allow it to sit down makes a lot of noice while driving. What is this part called and does anyone know where to get one?
Old 11-12-2018, 07:43 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts

Dealership has them, they aren't that expensive.

Windshield cowling: 9965725630401C - up to year 00.

$88 from autoatlanta - I'd say you're better off buying it from an OPC so you don't need to pay shipping - it's big

Replacement is easy, remove wipers, detach washer system 2 bolts + 2 screws and it comes out.
​​​​
Also replace the rubber gasket while there - its not included or just reuse your old one.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:49 PM
mechanicus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dan_189
Dealership has them, they aren't that expensive.

Windshield cowling: 9965725630401C - up to year 00.

$88 from autoatlanta - I'd say you're better off buying it from an OPC so you don't need to pay shipping - it's big

Replacement is easy, remove wipers, detach washer system 2 bolts + 2 screws and it comes out.
​​​​
Also replace the rubber gasket while there - its not included or just reuse your old one.
Alright thank you for the part number.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:10 PM
mechanicus
Intermediate

So today’s battle is the lighter plug. So I can use my radar detector for driving the speed limit.

BLUF- the port doesn’t supply any power.
Checked the fuse (D5) it checked out good.
Connectors on the plug look good.

When removed i found two wires not connected to anything in same bundle shown in the picture

any input as to what to try now? Or what those wires go to
Old 01-11-2019, 04:54 PM
MadIrish
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Those wires are brown/blue, yes. Pretty sure that's the security wiring for the OEM radio. Plugged into the chassis of the old radio housing.

Quick Reply: Mechanicus 996 project, your input is greatly appreciated