Sponsored by:

Mechanicus 996 project, your input is greatly appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 03:03 PM
billh1963
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
I agree with Splitting Atoms on this car. When it comes to quality automotive paint, there are only two things in the middle of the road - yellow lines and dead things. The quality paint/body shops are going to charge you thousands to paint a Porsche. I would expect an estimate around $7-10K. Even more, if the body shop is sanding down to the metal and removing all weather stripping, trim, bumpers, etc. If this is going to be a "paint a Porsche on a budget", then I would remove all the stuff (e.g. rubber weather strip, bumpers, emblems, spoiler, etc.), mask it, and send it to Maaco.
Vinyl wrap......
Old 10-15-2018, 03:59 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by billh1963
Vinyl wrap......
Not.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:49 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Not.
I don't know but wrapping might be a good way to remove the white paint...
Old 10-15-2018, 06:09 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
I don't know but wrapping might be a good way to remove the white paint...
I personally think vinyl wraps on cars and trucks are great for commercial/promotional applications, but not the best choice for long term durability for the cost. I saw a nice GTR with a wrap this weekend. It have many places where the wrap either bubbled up or pealed back. Awful.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:47 PM
mechanicus
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rvanhaasen
Hello welcome in this forum. Nice project, but be advised, you will need very deep pockets. You risk at getting carried away with all the enhancements. Do not forget: in its original configuration this was already a seriously fast sports car, so why bother with suspension tweets and engine tweeks. By the way is it a runner? I would start by checking the engine: cylinder scoring? IMS? Etc. The suspension is easy to do for a mechanic like you.
lots of Succes!��
It runs very nice for its age. I was going to wait until we get into the winter months to tear the engine out and redo gaskets and seals.

Originally Posted by Prelude Guy
Cool project car. Hope you got a really good deal on it.

I think this is a car that can turn into a slippery slope financially though. It's a car that obviously needs work but due to the history of the accidents, makes it a car that won't likely hold a high value.

I often buy cars in your car's condition. I come up with a budget and stick to it 100%. For example. If i buy a car that retails for $5000 but I bought it for $1000, my budget will be $3500. I fix all the issues that compromise the reliability but leave things untouched like the worn interior parts and paint. Then I enjoy the car for a few years and then sell it usually for a profit.

Cars like yours, and the ones I buy, can often end up costing much more in time and parts than it does for a clean car. It can get out of control pretty quickly. Lol

Are you setting a budget for your restoration? How in-depth will your restoration be?

Can't wait to see updates!
I haven't thought about a budget, doing this build for more of a learning aspect and to prove my wife wrong. lol She claims that the only people who have the skills to work on Porsche is Porsche dealers and since she drives the fast car, I kinda miss having something enjoyable to drive. I don't think of this as a big restoration project, because the engine seems sound other than that leaking power steering line, interior is just worn, and the out side just needs some love/money poured on it. Honestly I wanted to know what Porsche 911's were about and still staying within a reasonable price range.

I agree with Splitting Atoms on this car. When it comes to quality automotive paint, there are only two things in the middle of the road - yellow lines and dead things. The quality paint/body shops are going to charge you thousands to paint a Porsche. I would expect an estimate around $7-10K. Even more, if the body shop is sanding down to the metal and removing all weather stripping, trim, bumpers, etc. If this is going to be a "paint a Porsche on a budget", then I would remove all the stuff (e.g. rubber weather strip, bumpers, emblems, spoiler, etc.), mask it, and send it to Maaco.
Well I plan to talk with Maaco soon to figure out a plan. The local Wrap shop quoted me $2,600 +tax for any color. so there is that if I cant find any other solution.

I Love how active you guys are on the forums. My 17 scat pack forum takes me weeks to get replies.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:51 PM
mechanicus
Intermediate

Some front suspension pictures.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:53 PM
mechanicus
Intermediate

Hello welcome in this forum. Nice project, but be advised, you will need very deep pockets. You risk at getting carried away with all the enhancements. Do not forget: in its original configuration this was already a seriously fast sports car, so why bother with suspension tweets and engine tweeks. By the way is it a runner? I would start by checking the engine: cylinder scoring? IMS? Etc. The suspension is easy to do for a mechanic like you.
lots of Succes!��
It runs very nice for its age. I was going to wait until we get into the winter months to tear the engine out and redo gaskets and seals.

Originally Posted by Prelude Guy
Cool project car. Hope you got a really good deal on it.

I think this is a car that can turn into a slippery slope financially though. It's a car that obviously needs work but due to the history of the accidents, makes it a car that won't likely hold a high value.

I often buy cars in your car's condition. I come up with a budget and stick to it 100%. For example. If i buy a car that retails for $5000 but I bought it for $1000, my budget will be $3500. I fix all the issues that compromise the reliability but leave things untouched like the worn interior parts and paint. Then I enjoy the car for a few years and then sell it usually for a profit.

Cars like yours, and the ones I buy, can often end up costing much more in time and parts than it does for a clean car. It can get out of control pretty quickly. Lol

Are you setting a budget for your restoration? How in-depth will your restoration be?

Can't wait to see updates!
I haven't thought about a budget, doing this build for more of a learning aspect and to prove my wife wrong. lol She claims that the only people who have the skills to work on Porsche is Porsche dealers and since she drives the fast car, I kinda miss having something enjoyable to drive. I don't think of this as a big restoration project, because the engine seems sound other than that leaking power steering line, interior is just worn, and the out side just needs some love/money poured on it. Honestly I wanted to know what Porsche 911's were about and still staying within a reasonable price range.

Well I plan to talk with Maaco soon to figure out a plan. The local Wrap shop quoted me $2,600 +tax for any color. so there is that if I cant find any other solution.

I Love how active you guys are on the forums. My 17 scat pack forum takes me weeks to get replies.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:04 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

what did you pay for this thing? With DIY, if you got a good price, you may be ok, but if you paid more than say $8k, I think you're gonna bark up a tree you won't like the view from.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:02 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
what did you pay for this thing? With DIY, if you got a good price, you may be ok, but if you paid more than say $8k, I think you're gonna bark up a tree you won't like the view from.
I think $8K is to much. You can still find good running 996's for $10-12K
Old 10-16-2018, 04:08 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

I think $8K is to much. You can still find good running 996's for $10-12K
I'd like to see a few examples thereof (especially hardtops). My opinion is those cars will have plenty of issues of their own.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:33 PM
mechanicus
Intermediate

I definitely paid more than 8 for this. And it seems like problems just keep adding up. So it’s getting rough with 2nd gear, highway speeds seem really unsafe, and it’s starting to over heat. I really like the agility of this car but It’s looking like I’ll be around 30k just to have it up to normal car standards. It doesn’t over heat when driving but when I was on the off ramp it just climbed at first just to the second to last notch sat there for like five minutes and then all the way until the light came on and the oil lamp came on. And as soon as I got going on the road again it went below 180 again.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:07 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

lots of Succes!��
Some wisdom here. A good 911 is $1/mile. A cheap one is likely double that.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:21 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by mechanicus
I definitely paid more than 8 for this. And it seems like problems just keep adding up. So it’s getting rough with 2nd gear, highway speeds seem really unsafe, and it’s starting to over heat. I really like the agility of this car but It’s looking like I’ll be around 30k just to have it up to normal car standards. It doesn’t over heat when driving but when I was on the off ramp it just climbed at first just to the second to last notch sat there for like five minutes and then all the way until the light came on and the oil lamp came on. And as soon as I got going on the road again it went below 180 again.
STOP. These engines are very susceptible to damage from overheating. You have a serious problem with your cooling system, and driving this car like this will nuke the engine. Please stop driving it until you can get the cooling system diagnosed.

Look at the gauges! Overheating! No oil pressure!

STOP. STOP. STOP.

You are killing me.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:39 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I'd like to see a few examples thereof (especially hardtops). My opinion is those cars will have plenty of issues of their own.
https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/...706537703.html
And I missed a TIP coupe for $10K and only 60K miles on it (had a $6K Fabspeed system) 2 owner car with service history...They are still out there!

Last edited by 808Bill; 10-19-2018 at 02:05 AM.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:33 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/...706537703.html
And I missed a TIP coupe for $10K and only 60K miles on it (had a $6K Fabspeed system) 2 owner car with service history...They are still out there!

even the owner lists the hawaii car as fair. i bet there are tons of issues with that car.

As for the op, sounds like your high speed cooling fans qrent coming on.

Quick Reply: Mechanicus 996 project, your input is greatly appreciated