Sponsored by:

DGI's Project 996 "Sally"

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 04:18 PM
DGI
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Prelude Guy
The Fister D exhaust mod is a GREAT mod. That's the only sound modification I think is worthwhile. Exhaust systems for these cars are pretty expansive. It's the way the car should've come from the factory.

I recommend focusing on tires, suspension, and shifter modifications. Seats as well, but not necessary.
Im gonna need some seats but theres a fine line as my wife will also want to enjoy the car.

I've had good luck with the Recaro SRDs ive had in my Mustang since the early 2000s. Im wondering if the Recaro Speed seat would lower my seating position some but keep it useable for my wife... May need to find a seat to test fit
Old 10-19-2018, 05:13 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by DGI
Got an email with the results from the PPI!

Car is still at the dealer getting its interior detailed but attached is a snapshot of the list.

Not sure if I mentioned that the previous owner had an air horn installed behind front bumper because factory horn stopped working.

Repairs seem pretty simple with room for upgrades along the way :-)

Any tips and tricks would surely be appreciated

God, a 911 with an air horn. That's bodacious.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:28 PM
DGI
Pro

Still looking into some parts pricing but decided to place an order for two items today.

GT3 Console Delete
Frunk Hood Shocks

Im excited to have more room in the car and it will be nice to not have to work around a pry bar when under the hood working

I hate paying for shipping so they will be here by the end of the week hopefully...
Old 10-22-2018, 05:18 AM
TomR9964S
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DGI
Took the plunge yesterday!

They say "dont buy the first 996 you see", "dont buy a 996 without a PPI", "buy the best example you can afford, etc LOL
I disregarded all of that...
I did the exact same thing. My son named mine Sally first so you can't have that

Just kidding. Have fun and good luck.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:27 AM
DGI
Pro

Originally Posted by TomR9964S
I did the exact same thing. My son named mine Sally first so you can't have that

Just kidding. Have fun and good luck.
hahahaha i figured the name was taken at some point. I was gonna order a sun screen with big eyes on it but my wife said it may be too much lol
Old 10-22-2018, 07:34 AM
TomR9964S
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DGI

hahahaha i figured the name was taken at some point. I was gonna order a sun screen with big eyes on it but my wife said it may be too much lol
I have the Polar Silver Metallic and under the garage fluorescent lights she looks blue. Although, she is a cab my young son said she looks like Sally. I'll be happy to share the name. Even when I call my indy and say "Sally is acting up" he knows her by name. Not that she has spent a lot of time there but he always remembers Sally.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:46 AM
DGI
Pro

Im on a roll!!!

Decided I may look into keeping the Fikse wheels and am looking into reconditioning them. Would like to get the centers painted black and leave the lips polished. A call to Fikse USA is scheduled for later.

I inquired about the availability of the ROW M030 suspension package from Carnewal and the price was too good to pass up. Just placed my order and am looking forward to receiving it.

I also found a good price on a B&M Shifter from VAC Motorsports and sent a request for that as well. I figure if it was good enough for Porsche as an OEM supplier, the price I paid for it surely beats the $400+ for a 997GT3 unit.

I got an email overnight that my car was due for Emissions here in MD. Little do they know that my temp tags expire on the 14th of November and i'm not renewing until Im eligible for "Historic" tags on Jan 1st and will be exempt from such Big Brother tactics LOL

Parts are coming in but my lift will be tied up for the forseable future (at least until the end of December) with my Fox Mustang that i'm stripping down for paint work. I'll address what I can inside and around the car but the major maintenance items that were listed on the PPI and my additional while-im-in-there list will have to wait until the Mustang has headed to body shop.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:50 AM
TechSavvySam
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

From my very recent personal experience, my recommendation is that every new 996 owner should remove the sump pan and inspect for debris. If you find any (like I did), take a picture of it before you remove it because *where* it is in the cover may be good to know.

When completing the oil change, replace the sump drain plug with the LN Engineering magnetic one.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:01 AM
DGI
Pro

Originally Posted by TechSavvySam
From my very recent personal experience, my recommendation is that every new 996 owner should remove the sump pan and inspect for debris. If you find any (like I did), take a picture of it before you remove it because *where* it is in the cover may be good to know.

When completing the oil change, replace the sump drain plug with the LN Engineering magnetic one.
Thanks for the tip!

I'll drop the sump pan on the next oil change. A spin on LN filter housing and a magnetic drain plug are also on my to-do list
Old 10-29-2018, 03:20 PM
DGI
Pro

Small update on Sally!

New hood shocks were installed yesterday

ROW M030 from Carnewal arrived a couple days ago, its sitting in the corner of my garage until I can get to it. Need to order strut mounts and other bits and pieces to get that done.

GT3 Console delete arrives today and an ashtray delete tray was ordered from ECS along with a new hood shield gasket.

I never got an email from VAC Motorsports about the B&M Shifter I ordered (was to receive a paypal invoice and never did) and missed out on one on Ebay for $190 NIB I'll hold off until I find a deal or get through some more maintenance items.

Found a Muffler delete in the classifieds for cheap, figure it'll be fun to run for a while until my exhaust either goes to Fister for modification or I decide to go with some Fabspeed cans.

Turns out the tire shop I've been using (Radial Tire) used to be one of the largest Fikse dealers around and they still work on the wheels. I'm going to head down there sometime this week to have the owner take some measurements and tell me what I need to rebuild/resize my FM10s so they are ready for refinishing.

Good fun so far!
Old 10-29-2018, 03:38 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

I want to see what your car feels like with the current suspension and then after the new one is installed!
Old 10-29-2018, 04:06 PM
DGI
Pro

We can arrange that
Old 11-02-2018, 02:19 PM
DGI
Pro

Found a 340mm Raid steering wheel on FB I just sent payment for.

need to find time to go pick it up this week

was also able to pick up an OBC multi function stalk so i can add that functionality :-)

Old 11-02-2018, 04:27 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

Is that technically an aftermarket steering wheel?
Old 11-02-2018, 04:28 PM
DGI
Pro

Originally Posted by Prelude Guy
Is that technically an aftermarket steering wheel?
yes it is. Not crazy about the stitching but we’ll see how it feels and go from there

Quick Reply: DGI's Project 996 "Sally"