Sponsored by:

Shifter not returning to neutral position

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 10:22 AM
Steveyb
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shifter not returning to neutral position

I had the shifter cables replaced on my '04 911, but now the shifter is NOT "springing back" to the 3-4 neutral position. I'm trying to understand the the shifter operation better before contacting the mechanic that did the work. I believe there are springs in the shifter assembly that keep the shifter in the neutral position between 3 & 4th gear, is that correct? The dealer said that they don't sell separate springs, and I'd have to purchase a whole shifter assembly @ $260+. If correct, would it be better to just go to a short shifter; if so, what are your recommendations? I don't track the car anymore, but do other competitive events like autocross. You help is appreciated.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:26 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

There are no "springs" per se'... The cables themselves act as springs as they are solid 3/16" stainless steel. Most likely the cable(s) has slipped out of it's "holder" either at the console end or at the transmission...** BTW the "dealer" is either a moron or an unethical SOB ! Don't take your car there to get it fixed...
Old 10-12-2018, 11:07 AM
Steveyb
3rd Gear

dporto, thanks for your quick response. It makes sense that the spring action is a result of the each spring at the shifter end of the cables. You said that my problem may be the result of the cable ends slipping out of the holder. The holder is the clip that keeps the springs compressed, correct? Because the shifter still allows me to functionally shift gears, but I have to manually move the shifter from the 1-2 gate to the 3-4 gate.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:17 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Read again, slowly this time... There are no "springs"... It's the cable itself that "acts" as a spring or in effect a "torsion bar" when it's pushed against laterally. If you take your center console out (or just remove the shift boot by pulling up on shiftball/handle) you'll see what I'm talking about. The clips hold/capture the cables in/to the shifter housing. If one of them slips or breaks there's nothing holding the cable to create the "spring tension"... *** Just to review THERE ARE NO SPRINGS (unless you want to call the cable a spring, which technically it is... )
Old 10-12-2018, 11:41 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

After verifying that the cables haven't popped out of the ends where the are secured ( both transmission end and shifter end), it could also be that they didn't install the cables into the removable cable ends at the correct depth. For the DIY, you can mark the cables with a sharpie where they meet the ends, and replace the new shifter in the same place. Or you can just pop the ends off the old shifter and pop them onto the replacement shifter to avoid dealing with it. If you want, now that yours is off, you can buy a $5 centering tool that you can use to realign the shifter and cables.

dporto, I think they will need to remove the console. I tried to see my cable ends recently by only removing the shift boot, and it didn't work. The cable ends are further back and not visible through either that opening or the opening where the ashtray/switches sit.

The only springs I know about are in the removable cable ends, and they don't create any spring action, they just prevent the locking collar from opening.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:06 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cds72911

dporto, I think they will need to remove the console. I tried to see my cable ends recently by only removing the shift boot, and it didn't work. The cable ends are further back and not visible through either that opening or the opening where the ashtray/switches sit.

The only springs I know about are in the removable cable ends, and they don't create any spring action, they just prevent the locking collar from opening.
^^ Those would be "spring clips"... not really springs. As for the shift boot - at the very least, you'll be able to see the bottom of the shifter where the cables connect. You'll need to remove the shift boot to remove the console anyway, so it's a good place to start. Thanks for clarifying that
Old 10-12-2018, 12:18 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

I had the shifter cables replaced on my '04 911, but now the shifter is NOT "springing back" to the 3-4 neutral position.
I know you want to understand the shifter cable operation better, but why don't you just take it back to the place that replaced your shifter cables and tell them to make it right. Or do you not trust them to make it right? And why did you have the cables replaced in the first place? They generally are very robust and don't need replacing.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:39 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
I know you want to understand the shifter cable operation better, but why don't you just take it back to the place that replaced your shifter cables and tell them to make it right. Or do you not trust them to make it right? And why did you have the cables replaced in the first place? They generally are very robust and don't need replacing.
^^ yes - good point Joe ^^ At the very least, it should work as well or better than it did before the cables were replaced...
Old 10-12-2018, 01:45 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,961 Posts

There are no springs in either the shifter or cables. The cables and shifter, if correctly installed, should create a simi-solid direct connection to the transmission levers. The spring loaded action to return to the 3-4 gate is "internal to the transmission".

Most likely your issue is with the installation of the cables, but disconnecting the cables and verifying the spring action of the levers would eliminate any internal cause.
The following users liked this post:
wdb (03-17-2023)
Old 10-13-2018, 12:44 PM
Steveyb
3rd Gear

Thanks for the feedback, I have learned a great deal already, appreciate the help. Regarding the questions poised: 1) I plan to return it to the private mechanic that did the original work, but just want to be smarter about the operation of the shifter / cables and how it is suppose to return to the 3-4 gate, mine doesn't after the recent cable replacement. When I first drove it home, I called after a mile and told him it wasn't right, and he gave me an answer that being new, it was just stiff. It has not changed in one month, and I know it is not right, and as a result, not fun to drive.

2) I had to have the cable assembly replaced because the transmission had locked up in 3rd gear while on a recent rally. Turns out that the cables didn't break, but the crimped cap on the transmission end broke apart, resulting in the internals of the assembly coming apart and locking up the cable movement.
The following users liked this post:
dporto (03-17-2023)
Old 10-13-2018, 05:53 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Take it back, or get a mechanic that is more familiar with the 996. Keep us posted!
Old 03-17-2023, 03:38 PM
168glhs1986
Rennlist Member

Received 1,376 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
There are no springs in either the shifter or cables. The cables and shifter, if correctly installed, should create a simi-solid direct connection to the transmission levers. The spring loaded action to return to the 3-4 gate is "internal to the transmission".

Most likely your issue is with the installation of the cables, but disconnecting the cables and verifying the spring action of the levers would eliminate any internal cause.
@Porschetech3 can you share where this spring is located? Can it be cleaned out or changed without removing the trans?
Old 03-17-2023, 04:51 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 168glhs1986
@Porschetech3 can you share where this spring is located? Can it be cleaned out or changed without removing the trans?

Spring #5 and #7 are the ones that control the left/right gates....one can be accessed without removing transmission the other can't..

Last edited by Porschetech3; 03-17-2023 at 05:54 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
168glhs1986 (03-17-2023), dporto (03-17-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 05:34 PM
168glhs1986
Rennlist Member

Received 1,376 Likes on 657 Posts

Thank you, you are the man. He said there were two. Also said removing the trans if needed wasn’t a big deal.

Originally Posted by Porschetech3

Last edited by 168glhs1986; 03-17-2023 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-17-2023, 07:28 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 168glhs1986
Thank you and an lol for us mechanically challenged ones.

Which spring should I look to replace?
Are you sure you have a broken spring? Have you disconnect the cables and checked the spring action of the lever on the transmission ??

Quick Reply: Shifter not returning to neutral position