Please help me identify headlight type - 996 Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 11:05 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
on my 996.1 I had factory xenons without a headlight washer nozzle. Apparently its different for 996.2

3M also makes a clear vinyl protective film that works for the covers
That’s really odd. Are you sure they weren’t added later? Headlight washers were a DOT requirement for HID headlights.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:44 AM
joseph mitro
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 158 Posts

you are correct, they were taken off another 996.1 and installed on my 99 when I bought it. Was the headlight washer incorporated into the headlight or added on to the bumper cover for a Mk1?
Old 10-13-2018, 11:56 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

It was in line with the turn signal, incorporated into the headlight. Factory HID headlights also have auto-leveling to prevent dazzling oncoming traffic at night. There are axle sensors for the leveling system.

Old 10-13-2018, 12:10 PM
moerbeck
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really feel like an idiot because I repaired the other headlight and it looks amazing. I just panicked over how the clearcoat reacted to the plastic and by trying to paint strip it instead of just sanding it I made things worst.

I sanded it back yesterday starting from 80 grit all the way to 3000. It isn't perfect (some deep scratches show), but the headlight is usable. I am definitely buying at least the lens to fix it.

I will take a picture as soon as I get back home... I have seats getting re-upholstered and I am going to start wrapping the entire trims since the previous owner replaced the original interior trim pieces with fake carbon fiber ones and they look hideous. Anyone has any ideas where I can buy aftermarket trim pieces... can't seem to find a place...

Thank you very much for your support! Much appreciated!

BTW, there aren't aftermarket headlights for the MKII 996... only MKI - that seemed odd to me. Anyone knows of an aftermarket headlight for the MKII?
Old 10-13-2018, 03:16 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Good luck with it; I hope you're able to restore it to your satisfaction. To my knowledge, you can't purchase the lens alone.

I haven't seen an aftermarket light for the MK II cars. The MK I cars shared headlights with the Boxster, so the market for aftermarket lights was much larger.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:35 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

I've seen just the lens on eBay for around $100 before.

Call DC Automotive
http://www.dcautocatalog.com/illustr...ndex/966143513
Or keep checking eBay for headlights/lenses.

Be patient and you'll find them on eBay.
I waited and nabbed some xenon 996.2 headlights for $250 each.
One is for a Turbo, so I occasionally look for a matching headlight. (Turbo or Carerra)
Turbo will fit and work, it just doesn't quite match.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:47 PM
moerbeck
Track Day

I spoke to DC... they don't have anything in stock unfortunately. I am lurking around eBay and found some that are perfect, but they are broken (not the lens, but the headlight) and the seller won't accept anything less than 300 bucks. I might bite the bullet and buy some for about 600 bucks which is the cheapest I found on ebay... or I will lurk some more. The car isn't registered yet - awaiting for a clear title from the county and the seats are getting re-upholstered as of now. I bought a damaged seat that had a great frame and switch that worked, so from 3 crappy seats, we are making 2 good ones... otherwise, car is mechanically in order. Needs a good clay bar job and a polish... I am very excited to get to drive it.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:01 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by moerbeck
I spoke to DC... they don't have anything in stock unfortunately. I am lurking around eBay and found some that are perfect, but they are broken (not the lens, but the headlight) and the seller won't accept anything less than 300 bucks. I might bite the bullet and buy some for about 600 bucks which is the cheapest I found on ebay... or I will lurk some more. The car isn't registered yet - awaiting for a clear title from the county and the seats are getting re-upholstered as of now. I bought a damaged seat that had a great frame and switch that worked, so from 3 crappy seats, we are making 2 good ones... otherwise, car is mechanically in order. Needs a good clay bar job and a polish... I am very excited to get to drive it.
Ouch. That sucks doesn't it. Unless you're very patient and skilled at this sort of thing, I always tell people to take it to a pro. Our local body shop will make them look like brand new for about $150 per headlight. While that may seem high, its less risky than trying to do it yourself, and unfortunately, the only option for the Mk2 owners is OEM or used.

Moerbeck, if you buy one off ebay, make sure you get the halogen type and NOT the HID (i.e. Litronic). Yours are definitely not the Xenon based headlights. The easiest way to look for used replacements is look for one without the headlight washers. For some reason, the Halogen type headlights for the mk2 996 didn't come with lens washers.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:57 AM
moerbeck
Track Day

Yep - I bit the bullet and bought the broken one off of Ebay for $300. I will take a look at its condition and if it isn't terrible (it didn't look like it was terrible from the pictures) I will lightly sand and buff the lens and do a complete swap. It is what it is... I am taking the L and moving on Thank you for your advice... definitely buying the halogen ones. No Xenons for my car. I don't have a headlight washer and I prefer it that way anyways. Thank you once again!
Old 10-18-2018, 02:23 PM
Mike Mullins
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts

They could be Porsche Techequipment models from dealer, I had them on my Boxster S, Dealer made me a good deal to get them out of parts inventory.

No washers as the Triangle was separate part number.

What does you Option code show, that is determining fact.

Quick Reply: Please help me identify headlight type - 996 Headlights