Sponsored by:

Oil pressure at 4.5

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 07:28 PM
rway
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure at 4.5

HI Guys, I'm a new 911/996 owner ( 1 year in)

Had no problems with the car. I'm pretty sure after reading this blog and speaking to the guy i bought it of that it just needs oil. However thought i'd see what you guys thought.

So oil wise, had some last year on my service. However have driven more than usual this year, so done more KM's. The oil pressure this morning was cranked up to 4.5 and the engine was over heating and had a burning smell coming from it. So left it in the garage.

Assume putting oil in it and then take it to the mechanic? But any other advice of what to do as dont want to damage it any more?

Thanks RW
Old 10-08-2018, 07:56 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by rway

Had no problems with the car. I'm pretty sure after reading this blog and speaking to the guy i bought it of that it just needs oil. However thought i'd see what you guys thought.

So oil wise, had some last year on my service. However have driven more than usual this year, so done more KM's. The oil pressure this morning was cranked up to 4.5 and the engine was over heating and had a burning smell coming from it. So left it in the garage.

Assume putting oil in it and then take it to the mechanic? But any other advice of what to do as dont want to damage it any more?

Thanks RW
O... mg... Is this your first car?
Old 10-08-2018, 08:05 PM
rway
8th Gear

Had a golf GTI (newer one) last car - so this sort of thing was easy enough to see as the warning lights etc would come on.

So basically, first proper car that needs this type of attention. So yes first car!
Old 10-08-2018, 08:45 PM
GH996
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Another one bites the dust...
Old 10-08-2018, 09:03 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Thanks RW
The car has a dipstick - did you check the oil level. Do this before adding any oil.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:09 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Old 10-08-2018, 09:11 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Oil pressure has nothing to do with your problem. Oil pressure is like blood pressure, whereas oil is like blood. You have 4.5 bars, which is plenty. It overheated and you think you need oil?

Have you checked your oil level?

You’d have to be so low on oil at this point to have a temperature problem that it’s either extremely hot, or you’ve starved the engine of so much oil that you’ve done some damage.

Hopefully your problem is the water pump or cooling fans.

No, you should not drive it to the mechanic if your water pump or oil pump failed.

Is the oil light or any other lights on?
Old 10-08-2018, 09:20 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,346 Likes on 660 Posts

So oil wise, had some last year on my service.
Wait, you haven't checked the oil since it 'had some' last year?

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
The car has a dipstick - did you check the oil level. Do this before adding any oil.
^^^This.

The engine was whining and heat/smoke was coming from the back.
Hopefully you get lucky but buying a bus pass might be in your future if this is your only car.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:52 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

I'm pretty sure after [....] speaking to the guy i bought it of that it just needs oil.
What did he say that makes you think the car needs oil?

It is possible to damage your car by overfilling it with oil, so, as others have stated, measure your oil level with the dipstick to determine if the car is low on oil rather than just assuming.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:12 PM
rway
8th Gear

Thanks this is really useful. I'll get it taken by the mechanic on a tow truck and get it checked out Vs try and do it.

I'll have a look through the oil dip stick later, as didn't have time before driving to work.

I'll ping you to let you know the outcome! Fingers crossed!!
Old 10-08-2018, 10:13 PM
rway
8th Gear

Thanks i'll give this a check and come back - Thanks for the post

Tough crowd in here haha
Old 10-08-2018, 10:52 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

This place can be rough on novices. If you're keen on learning about the car just let it roll off of your shoulder, there are helpful people here. I'm not one of them I'm still curious what the seller said to you about oil consumption. Did he/she say the car used quite a bit of oil when you bought it?
Old 10-08-2018, 11:22 PM
Horsepwr
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Talking

Thanks RW
If you are overheating check the coolant, not the oil...
Old 10-08-2018, 11:56 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Amazing! Kudos for having the courage to come in and put yourself up for abuse... I apologize for being a little incredulous at your lack of the most rudimentary knowledge of basic maintenance - especially of a “sports car” such as a Porsche 911. It’s just difficult to fathom... hopefully you’ll learn a bunch about your car and love it all that much more
Old 10-09-2018, 01:24 AM
rway
8th Gear

Just said to make sure i'm checking on a monthly basis. After being on here today..... seems its common knowledge haha

I do appreciate the insights though - gotta learn

Quick Reply: Oil pressure at 4.5