IMS question (another one...)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 11:50 AM
Pseudo Nim
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default IMS question (another one...)

Hi all,

My IMS isn't failing, but I have the opportunity to buy a 106.08.22 kit. I have a MY2001 European market 996 C2. Based on what I'm reading, I either have the dual-row or the single-row bearing. I checked my engine, and although I can't see the serial # very well, I don't have an X or a Y in it, so I assume the engine is original to the car. I have a few questions, hoping for some collective wisdom here:

1) Since I have no idea whether I have the single-row or dual-row, what's the risk that I am buying a useless IMS retrofit kit by buying "Single Row Pro IMS Retrofit Kit for MY00-05"? I guess the answer is "unknown since 00-01 were a crapshoot", or otherwise "around 50/50", right?
2) How much work will it be to get to the point of deciding whether this is going to go forward, or whether I reassemble and abort? (trying to ballpark the budget for my indy)
3) If I find out that I have the dual-row bearing in the first place, do I just keep it as is? They appear to be "better" than the single-row ones, so they do not fail as much and so should I just sell the kit I am about to buy back onto the market and move on with life?

Thanks very much!
Old 10-03-2018, 11:57 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Until you pull the tranny and have a visual on it, that's the only way to tell.
5 hour job to get to that point...I'd just have the "Solution" installed and forget about it.

Has your indy ever done one?
Old 10-03-2018, 12:39 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

^^Best advice. If you are having a shop do it, why pay all the money to go in there for an inspection? At the 2001 model year, it can go either way (dual or single row). Since they will be in there, just have them install the Solution and you are done and over with the whole issue.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:44 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

^^I agree.
Just go ahead and do it once they're in there.
Go with a cheaper IMS bearing and you'll have to repeat it eventually.
Install The IMS Solution and you'll never have to repeat it again.
Also, The IMS Solution will help resale.
http://theimssolution.com/
Old 10-03-2018, 02:54 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
My IMS isn't failing
Not trying to sound rude or philosophical, but regardless if you have the OEM dual row or single row, both are in the process of wearing out or ... "failing". My vote is that your 2001 more than likely has the most failure prone IMS bearing of the three designs - the smaller single row IMS bearing. I agree with others on this thread and say it's best to go ahead and change it out with the clutch service. Of course, I also recommend the LN IMS Solution. It's based on the track proven Mezger design.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:07 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Based on Jake Raby and PCA, the dual row bearing was phased out in mid-year 2000.
Check out this video at the 15:44 mark:

My IMS bearing on my 996, had stage one.

See this video:
Old 10-03-2018, 03:39 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

1. Risk is low, as you have the 01 engine. More than likely it is the right kit.
2. Irrelevant to the work needed. Do the job to replace the bearing, and 'abort' is not an option.
3. No. When the IMS bearing is exposed, replace it no matter if single or dual row. Sell your single and buy a dual row and have it installed.

WYAAT: RMS, clutch plate, TO bearing and other wear components based on mileage and condition. Trans fluid, inspect axle boots, change front trans mount.

Drive without worry, and sleep much better. Ask me how I know....

Last edited by docmirror; 10-03-2018 at 10:00 PM.

Quick Reply: IMS question (another one...)