996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

IMS Bearing replacement from Germany?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 01:23 AM
4sight
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMS Bearing replacement from Germany?

Just curious if anyone is familiar with an IMS replacement kit that is manufactured in Germany.
I'm looking at a 996 C4 that apparently had the IMS, RMS and clutch done last year. The invoice for the work simply states "Engine Bearing Upgrade kit" for which the current owner was charged $700 (for the part).
I asked for more information about this part, so the seller contacted the shop. The shop owner/mechanic said it is a "German" part. I'm not familiar with any German made IMS solution.
Am I being unreasonable to be asking exactly which IMS solution was used? I feel the description on the invoice is way to vague, and the seller has a right to know what part they paid $700 for, whether I buy the car or not.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:54 AM
hardtailer
Pro

Received 274 Likes on 184 Posts

Fvd brombacher offers a double row ims bearing from or made in Germany (at least the cover is):
https://www.fvd.net/de-en/FVD10590104/reparatursatz-zwischenwelle-m96doppel-lager.html
Also as a single row ceramic:
https://www.fvd.net/de-en/FVD10590103/reparatursatz-zwischenwelle-m96einzel-lager-ceramic.html
Neither of them are $700 though, but who knows after import , sales tax and shop mark-up.

Of course you can ask the shop exactly which bearing was fitted but how reliable will the answer be as he probably won't remember and looking at the description on the bill I doubt he keeps more detailed information in his business book keepings where he would look into as to not query his memory.
I'd ask which bearing exactly he would fit when a customer turns up with the request to replace and upgrade the imsb. Chances are that's the one in the car you're looking into.

Last edited by hardtailer; 10-03-2018 at 07:21 AM.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:30 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

** There is a thread floating around here where someone's FVD bearing failed shortly after installation...
Old 10-03-2018, 12:15 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

I'd be more concerned with when and why was it replaced then what was it replaced with.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:33 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 697 Posts

"Am I being unreasonable to be asking exactly which IMS solution was used? I feel the description on the invoice is way to vague, and the seller has a right to know what part they paid $700 for, whether I buy the car or not."

No, not for yourself as a buyer, but it appears the seller has no interest in knowing what they paid $700 for other than the IMSB was replaced. Seems to me they just had the shop replace it and so...there ya go. What I would do is try to get the price down to cover the install of the Solution and be done with it. If they don't budge, move on to the next one.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:01 PM
User 63031
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Last edited by User 63031; 06-09-2021 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:46 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by 4sight
I asked for more information about this part, so the seller contacted the shop. The shop owner/mechanic said it is a "German" part. I'm not familiar with any German made IMS solution. Am I being unreasonable to be asking exactly which IMS solution was used?
Please clarify. Are you saying the shop said they installed a German made "IMS Solution" as in the LN product? Or, are you using the word "solution" as in an answer to the IMS problem?

At this point and time, I wouldn't trust any IMS bearing product unless the shop could verify that it was an official LN manufactured. Heck, I don't even want another problem prone bearing from Porsche installed on any of my cars.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:01 PM
4sight
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
Please clarify. Are you saying the shop said they installed a German made "IMS Solution" as in the LN product? Or, are you using the word "solution" as in an answer to the IMS problem?

At this point and time, I wouldn't trust any IMS bearing product unless the shop could verify that it was an official LN manufactured. Heck, I don't even want another problem prone bearing from Porsche installed on any of my cars.
I used the word solution as an answer to the problem, not the product name.
To me, the mechanic is being very vague with regard to which bearing he used. "German" is not an answer. I think he keeps saying that to satisfy the seller, as he wants her to think the $700 was justified for a "German", "Genuine Porsche" part.
Since it's a 2001, it could be a single row or double row. Since he installed it, I'm tempted to ask him which it is. When it comes to mechanical work, I like to know what is going in my vehicles. Sometimes I do request the old parts for my own inspection.
This guy is dodging the question. If he did it at all, I'm guessing it was the $185 Pelican bearing that he charged $700 for.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:08 PM
85eurocarrera
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 185 Posts

I couldn't trust that bearing/install based on info you are given.

Unless you have sump dropped, filter cut open and all good, PLUS budgeted LN product installed properly, move on. That car is nothing special color/option wise.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:15 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

"This guy is dodging the question. If he did it at all, I'm guessing it was the $185 Pelican bearing that he charged $700 for."

^^This^^... Knock $5k off the asking price, and have "The Solution" installed (along with the other "while you're in there" maintenance items)... Otherwise walk...
Old 10-03-2018, 03:17 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

In my opinion if the IMS bearing that was used was NOT an LN Engineering IMS bearing, I would not consider it sufficiently replaced.
If I were to buy that car, the IMS bearing would have to be replaced very soon.
Whether the new IMS bearing had 50K or just 500 miles on it, it would be replaced with an LN Engineering bearing.
If I were keeping it long-term, or the car was in excellent shape and I was flipping it, I would install the IMS Solution.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:26 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by 4sight
I
Since it's a 2001, it could be a single row or double row.
Based on the information Jake Raby and PCA shared on their IMS bearing videos, the dual row bearing was phased out in mid-year 2000. Therefore, the 2001 will have the most problem prone bearing of all three generations.

Quick Reply: IMS Bearing replacement from Germany?