Sponsored by:

996 Mold Solution

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 01:21 AM
grus
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Debo18D
Maybe a steam cleaner. I have one and they are worth their weight in platinum. Never tried it with mold though.

D.
Steam would make it worse cause it thrives on moisture. Maybe after its treated and dried out for sometime.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:25 AM
grus
Track Day

Originally Posted by Dranon
That gorgeous Arena Red with aerokit is worth saving! COMPLETELY gut the car (after insurance claim) dashboard and all. Going to weeks of work but as knfeparty stated it is worth it for that car! Silver or black let them have have it. Heck Ild buy it and restore it!
Thanks Dranon. I filed a claim today. Just waiting on the adjuster. I plan on keeping regardless of what they do for me and slowly restoring it. I loved it the minute I saw it and bought it. Funny how the new Chevy and Dodges are coming with a similiar color.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:27 AM
grus
Track Day

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
This reminds me of the CoPart cars from the recent flooding down in Texas. Looks like you had some serious water ingress into the cabin of the car and over time the mold bred and spread like crazy. Very dangerous stuff if inhaled into your lungs. I wouldn't get near it unless I had the proper hazmat suit and respirator. I would start off by drying it out completely. Use a good dehumidifier and get it out in the sun. Mold needs high humidity environments to survive. Of course you can't use bleach products in this situation, but you'll need lots of vinegar and Lysol. Getting it vacated out of the ducts is going to be difficult.
No water got in. Just built up moisture from the humidity. You're absolutely right about the ducts. Everything I cant get to concerns me but heard theres a fogger system they use to kill spores in ducts.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:32 AM
grus
Track Day

Originally Posted by knfeparty
I'm from eastern NC (washington) so I know how it can get out there. Your car is a rare color, and has some nice mk1 aero kit too. Is it a '99 model year?

Regardless, I think filing a claim and then buying it back and trying to sort it yourself is a pretty good option. I would definitely remove the seats, center console, steering wheel, door cards, all of it. You may be able to just gut the car and sell it whole as a roller to someone who wants a track build. Find a wrecked roller with a good interior and swap the pieces over. 996 parts aren't so hard to come by that you need to try and save these. Your car, in that color especially, is worth saving though. If it was arctic silver or black I'd say just let the insurance company have it.
Its a 00 and I filed a claim today. Im down in (Jville) So we'll see what the adjuster says. I plan on keeping it. Im sure theres a way to properly kill all the mold within the car. May have to get it professionally done. Then I would remove everything and replace piece by piece.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:51 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by grus
Just sitting. The humidity has been pretty bad all summer and we left for 2 weeks.
I am trying to figure out how that happened....perhaps you used a product on the interior that fed the mold....My thinking is that moisture needs to condense on the surfaces for the mold to grow. Did you run the AC and made the car really cold and then left the window open when it was real humid....The surfaces had to have gotten wet somehow....only way is if the temperature of the surfaces are below the dewpoint.

Really sorry about this happening to such a beautiful car.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:42 AM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by lowpue
I am trying to figure out how that happened....perhaps you used a product on the interior that fed the mold....My thinking is that moisture needs to condense on the surfaces for the mold to grow. Did you run the AC and made the car really cold and then left the window open when it was real humid....The surfaces had to have gotten wet somehow....only way is if the temperature of the surfaces are below the dewpoint.

Really sorry about this happening to such a beautiful car.
It's just very warm and humid down here. I live in South Carolina and I am always battling mold at one if my houses. It is closely surrounded by large oaks and other trees. Lots of greenery including ferns. Always humid from April to November. I recently built an enclosed steel shed with a plywood floor. Within days there was mold growing on the plywood. I sprayed it down with Tilex. That seems to work for a while. Sometimes I feel like I am living in a rain forest.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:11 AM
uniquenamehere
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

This video might help... although he had far, far less mold in his car.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:52 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

While my car was laid up, I hung a dehumidifying/moisture catcher in the car. I was amazed at how much water was pulled out of the cabin while sitting in the warehouse for a month.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:03 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,427 Likes on 783 Posts

Based on the pictures, I think most people are greatly overblowing the amount of "damage" to the car. The mold is clearly a surface mold and has not been present long enough to become "one" with the car. The car will most likely be good as new once you air it out and get it properly detailed.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:40 PM
parris
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
Based on the pictures, I think most people are greatly overblowing the amount of "damage" to the car. The mold is clearly a surface mold and has not been present long enough to become "one" with the car. The car will most likely be good as new once you air it out and get it properly detailed.
I tend to agree with this.

Have you tried to just wipe the mold off and see how deep it is? I would start from there, then, take out the front seats, leave a dehumidifying device inside for a couple of days, and proceed detailing the leather and plastics with good products (first clean, then treat)
Old 10-03-2018, 11:45 PM
grus
Track Day

Originally Posted by 85eurocarrera
hoping you get it sorted, that's a pretty mk1. Wheels look really nice.
Thanks!
Old 10-03-2018, 11:47 PM
grus
Track Day

Originally Posted by uniquenamehere
This video might help... although he had far, far less mold in his car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUw6pGmBGmo
Seen this vid. Thanks.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:20 AM
grus
Track Day

Originally Posted by parris
I tend to agree with this.

Have you tried to just wipe the mold off and see how deep it is? I would start from there, then, take out the front seats, leave a dehumidifying device inside for a couple of days, and proceed detailing the leather and plastics with good products (first clean, then treat)
No I haven't attempted to clean the mold yet. I was waiting for the adjuster to come out. Regardless of what they say, I plan on keeping it/restoring it.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:09 AM
parris
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

No I haven't attempted to clean the mold yet. I was waiting for the adjuster to come out. Regardless of what they say, I plan on keeping it/restoring it.
You should do it

Your car looks great, and I think you can fix the aesthetic problem by yourself. The only concern, is the effect that the mold could have had on the interior of the panels, electronics and so. That is why you should leave an dehumidifier inside the car for a couple of days.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:18 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

My advice would be in the meantime to take lots of high resolution photographs and document everything. Then, as you're awaiting a resolution from the insurance company, I would at least put a dehumidifier in the car to begin the process of drying it out. Good luck!

Quick Reply: 996 Mold Solution