Sponsored by:

I’m going for it

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 03:51 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian996
It’s going to take some time and effort but it will get done.
That's the right attitude. Godspeed, Brian!
Old 09-27-2018, 09:40 PM
Brian996
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I am not doing the bumper myself, lol. After reading some of the responses I was scratching my head and wondering if we had some well... let’s say.....ah IQ challenged folks. This bumper with be cut to fit. It’s polyurethane just like the factory bumper. It will be cut and rejoined using the proper “kit” necessary.
Besides if I decide I want to change this back to factory it only takes 30 minutes to carefully remove the factory bumper. I was surprised. All Phillips head screws that were never removed from my 20 year old 50,000 mile car.
These things need to be approached properly by professionals. I wouldn’t know where to start. I’m not an auto body guy. I don’t mind a little mechanical work here and there but nnnnooooo autobdy work. It’s like electricity in the house. I stay away.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:44 PM
Brian996
Racer

I have them my factory bumper with my new/used bumper. They will match them up well. Once they think we have it we will dry mount it before paint. It’s goint to be great. I’m stokked.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:47 PM
Brian996
Racer

My car currently-
Old 09-27-2018, 09:53 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

This bumper with be cut to fit.
Did I read you right? You said, "it will be cut to fit"? Let the fun begin!!! I'm so subscribed to this thread now!

You must keep us posted with photos. I'm gonna love watching a turbo bumper cut-fitted to a narrow body.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:56 PM
Brian996
Racer

Here is a thread to keep you happy until mine is installed.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...bo-bumper.html
Old 09-27-2018, 10:02 PM
Brian996
Racer

Old 09-27-2018, 10:16 PM
Brian996
Racer

Btw the bumper will be cut if necessary. First it will be dry fit. Then we go from there.
What happened to keep us informed and good luck?
Or maybe I know someone who has done that. Maybe look them up for information.
Sometimes I feel a little negativity on this forum.
I was hoping for Porsche discussions and comrade.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:34 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,245 Likes on 782 Posts

Okay, now I see that you’re putting the bumper on a different car. I misunderstood the original post and thought you were trying to put it on a car that already had that bumper style.

What will you do do with the open vents in the bumper? Obviously the radiator ducts from the Turbo won’t be there. The C4S has decorative covers on the vents. I suppose you could install some of those. I could be mistaken, but I think you will need to modify the exhaust to fit properly in the cutouts of the new bumper cover.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:42 AM
Brian996
Racer

The exhaust does to be modified at which paint I will be doing new exhaust tips. Most likely the double barrels.
I am going to seek reassurance from my body man that when the bumper is rejoined after being cut that it will hold.
I am also considering epoxying some kind of polyurethane pieces on the inside area of the bumper once it’s back home. This is something I can do myself. I am also going to be using black screen to cover the turbo intake openings. I’ll heat it up nice and lay it inside the bumper. This is something I can do.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:51 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

The exhaust does to be modified at which paint I will be doing new exhaust tips. Most likely the double barrels.
I am going to seek reassurance from my body man that when the bumper is rejoined after being cut that it will hold.
I am also considering epoxying some kind of polyurethane pieces on the inside area of the bumper once it’s back home. This is something I can do myself. I am also going to be using black screen to cover the turbo intake openings. I’ll heat it up nice and lay it inside the bumper. This is something I can do.
It would be good if they took any cutout pieces and used them inside to support the bumper.
That might make it where you wouldn't need to support the inside.

I'd be interested in knowing if having the non-blocked off vents and screen reduces heat in the engine area.
With the heat shield so close it might not make a huge difference, but cooler air is cooler air.

Looking forward to seeing how it looks.
See if you can get some pre-paint pictures so we can see what it looks like before it is covered up.

Old 09-28-2018, 12:01 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

Wow, trying to follow what is actually happening here is a struggle. Sorry OP but you're not doing a very job of being articulate. I had to look at some of the other threads you've started about bumpers to even figure out that you have the car already and you're just trying to fit a turbo rear bumper. I see some subsequent posts here where you made it more clear. Half the people that commented negatively did so thinking you were talking about rebadging your car - because that example you posted has numerous modifications other than the turbo bumper.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:00 PM
theprf
Drifting

Received 1,619 Likes on 1,029 Posts

You can't epoxy polyurethane.

If you're set on gluing the bumper at least use the correct adhesive. 3M DP8005 is what you need. This is the adhesive that manufacturers use for polyurethane/polypropylene and the other low surface energy plastics.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:18 PM
e90steve
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Btw the bumper will be cut if necessary. First it will be dry fit. Then we go from there.
What happened to keep us informed and good luck?
Or maybe I know someone who has done that. Maybe look them up for information.
Sometimes I feel a little negativity on this forum.
I was hoping for Porsche discussions and comrade.
***Negativity Alert!***

I would say this devalues the car and your money/investment here is better put into another area such as wheels, tires, suspension, engine mounts, maintenance or even fixing those engine lid struts would be a better use of your money.

Mods (if you even want to call this that) like this are what gives 996's a bad reputation.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:52 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

"What will you do do with the open vents in the bumper? Obviously the radiator ducts from the Turbo won’t be there. The C4S has decorative covers on the vents. I suppose you could install some of those. I could be mistaken, but I think you will need to modify the exhaust to fit properly in the cutouts of the new bumper cover."

Those ducts behind the rear wheels are not "radiator ducts"... The radiators are in the front of the car... I believe the turbos sit behind the rear wheels and these vent help to keep them cool.

Quick Reply: I’m going for it