Sponsored by:

My 1999 C2 - Dreams Do Come True

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 09:35 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

Originally Posted by turbogrill
In terms of tires I got the Michelin Pilot Super Sport, these are probably the best street tires you can get but I was not super happy with them in on the track...
Just curious - do you trail brake? I ran all seasons on the track and was just fine - but only after learning how to trail brake. Before that, not happy with street tires.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:57 PM
pathcallahan
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Time for an update!

The car now has just over 108k miles and has continued to be a dream to drive on the street. I changed the oil and got a report from Blackstone while I was at it. The reassurance from the clean bill of health was more than worth it.

I finally got to take the car to an autocross last weekend with a set of 18" wheels, Sport Cup 2's, and a newly mounted race seat. The car was even more fun to drive around the cones than it is on the street. I won my class despite having way too much fun sliding around and picking up several cones through the day. The LSD has moved much lower on the list of priorities as I'm more than happy with the way the car moved around.

The seat and tires are really not suited to daily driving, but together they turn the car into a perfect weekend warrior. I can't wait to take this car to the track.

After the autocross, I decided to test fit the 17" Cayman wheels. The rear wheels are a perfect fit, but the fronts will need spacers to clear the brakes. They've been ordered and I'll be picking sizes and sourcing tires soon. The inside shoulders of the rear tires on the 19" wheels have been wearing much quicker than the rest of the tire so the car will also be going in for an alignment to make sure everything is in order. I suspect it might just be a matter of running static camber on very low profile tires.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:23 PM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by pathcallahan
Time for an update!

The car now has just over 108k miles and has continued to be a dream to drive on the street. I changed the oil and got a report from Blackstone while I was at it. The reassurance from the clean bill of health was more than worth it.

I finally got to take the car to an autocross last weekend with a set of 18" wheels, Sport Cup 2's, and a newly mounted race seat. The car was even more fun to drive around the cones than it is on the street. I won my class despite having way too much fun sliding around and picking up several cones through the day. The LSD has moved much lower on the list of priorities as I'm more than happy with the way the car moved around.

The seat and tires are really not suited to daily driving, but together they turn the car into a perfect weekend warrior. I can't wait to take this car to the track.

After the autocross, I decided to test fit the 17" Cayman wheels. The rear wheels are a perfect fit, but the fronts will need spacers to clear the brakes. They've been ordered and I'll be picking sizes and sourcing tires soon. The inside shoulders of the rear tires on the 19" wheels have been wearing much quicker than the rest of the tire so the car will also be going in for an alignment to make sure everything is in order. I suspect it might just be a matter of running static camber on very low profile tires.
Good choice on the '99! Looking good! Glad to see that you are using the vehicle properly! Not sure if you have considered coilovers, but more damping force/spring rate will give you an improved roll rate/posture. Please consider.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:02 AM
Kenqv
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in Tampa very near the intersection of I-4 and 75.
I’m Tampa.. WestChase
Old 11-26-2018, 08:02 PM
pathcallahan
AutoX

Originally Posted by Ratchet1025
Good choice on the '99! Looking good! Glad to see that you are using the vehicle properly! Not sure if you have considered coilovers, but more damping force/spring rate will give you an improved roll rate/posture. Please consider.
I have considered coilovers, but I really don't feel they are worthwhile in my case. I have a shifter kart for proper racing, the 911 is plenty fast for having fun.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:39 PM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 137 Posts

Ahh OK, understandable. Those things are scary fast and a ton of fun to watch. Feel free to post pictures of that as well!
Old 11-27-2018, 09:36 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have considered coilovers, but I really don't feel they are worthwhile in my case. I have a shifter kart for proper racing, the 911 is plenty fast for having fun.

Your 911 looks great. Post some pics of your shifter cart.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:43 AM
pathcallahan
AutoX

Courtesy of Philip Petrie, I have this excellent photo from last weekend's autocross. The car has continued to be a joy to drive. It was also a great vehicle to introduce my brother to autocross.

I also finally installed my Cayman 17's with 225/50 and 245/45 Firestone Indy 500's. I ended up using 7mm spacers in the back 15mm spacers in the front. The fit seems to be good, but the front tires do have a minor rub. In hindsight, maybe a 225/45 or 205/50 would've been a better choice, but I'll wait until I take the car to an autocross to settle on a verdict. On the street, the car is definitely quieter and the ride is much improved. I also swapped the wheel studs that had been installed on the car for longer studs from Rennline. If you're looking, I think their kit is a great option.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:48 AM
pathcallahan
AutoX

I don't have as many pictures of the shifter kart as I should, but here's one:

Quick Reply: My 1999 C2 - Dreams Do Come True