Sponsored by:

Respray bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 04:31 PM
Cotechia
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Respray bumper?

I have a 2004 C4S cabrio and got some bad rock chips on the front bumper. Also some scratches on the side mirrors. Tried to correct with some of these painting kits but it didn't work. Maybe because of the color, as it is a Meridian Metallic. I've been toying with the idea of respraying front bumper and the mirrors. What do you guys think? Good idea? bad idea? why?
how much should I expect to pay to do that? Any recommendations in the CT/NY/NJ area?
Old 09-25-2018, 04:59 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

I recently had a Midnight Blue Aerokit I (Taco) spoiler and rear deck lid repainted, which is a lot of painted area with a lot of work due to the angles.
Since it was a color change, they had to paint the underside of the deck lid too.
I used a quality place near me and they charged me $500 to paint it Seal Gray.
I would expect to pay that or less for a bumper.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:43 PM
JB001
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

I asked for a quote in Los Angeles to repaint my lapis lazuli front bumper with a few stone-ships. The body shop came back with a $900 estimate and lifetime warranty.
When I told him that this quote was ridiculous, he answered me that it is a Porsche bumper ...
I found another bodyshop willing to do it for $350 if I bring him the bumper.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:56 PM
e90steve
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

That's pretty funny that a Porsche bumper respray is more expensive than any other car. That's not a reason to justify a higher price. Now a claim that your shop only does it right, uses only the highest quality paints, spends more time prepping yada yada yada could "justify" a higher price but that would apply to all vehicles not just Porsche's.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:03 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Body shops are all about "you get what you pay for". I just picked up a hard top for my cab. The top was brand new but it was red and my car is seal grey. I talked to alot of shops. Got quotes from 150 to 1000. I settled with a shop for 400. The did a great job. Not amazing but great. The average person wouldnt notice the flaws. Im a picky person so i notice them. Either way. Dont go cheap, but dont break the bank.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:46 PM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

IMO, approximately $400.00 for the front or rear bumper is generally the rounded number...
Old 09-27-2018, 04:27 PM
todcp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep. I paid $400 if I brought the bumper cover to the shop. Easy to remove and an opportunity to clean the debris out of the radiators.
Old 09-28-2018, 02:46 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by todcp
Yep. I paid $400 if I brought the bumper cover to the shop. Easy to remove and an opportunity to clean the debris out of the radiators.
A couple bits of advice to take or leave: Always a good idea to take a “before” picture with a time stamp to show any sqeamish future buyers that the repaint was just for aesthetics and not due to an accident. Also make sure that the shop will sand/fill the bumper vs just a re-spray over the rock chip dimples. Finally, it’s a great opportunity to put on a clear bra afterwards, but the paint needs a few weeks to cure before doing so. Ideally just park it during this time to prevent new damage.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:56 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

I needed to have the right "wing" (front quarter) replaced on my car a couple years ago. I asked the shop to give me a "cash" price to respray the front bumper cover "while it was there" (separate from the insurance quote). They quoted me $900... Remember they already had the car there and the paint/materials were already paid for (even though it probably takes less than a pint to paint the bumper - I'm sure they price a gallon of paint/primer/clear for the wing job)... Needless to say, I didn't have them spray the bumper I was expecting something in the $250 - $400 range as it would have been pure profit - greedy bastards got nuffin!
Old 03-18-2019, 04:09 PM
Simonripley
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you have to get the front bumper resprayed for rock chips, can the hood be far behind? Anyone get their hood done at the same time for the sake of consistency? It may all be in my head but since I have a dark car, a newly painted bumper would just highlight hood imperfections.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:41 PM
bpoteat
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Simonripley
If you have to get the front bumper resprayed for rock chips, can the hood be far behind? Anyone get their hood done at the same time for the sake of consistency? It may all be in my head but since I have a dark car, a newly painted bumper would just highlight hood imperfections.
Mine is black and I feel like any painted part of the car would stand out. That might be in my head but I just couldn't stand having any part of the car not match. I'd rather have rock chips than unmatched paint.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:50 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by bpoteat
Mine is black and I feel like any painted part of the car would stand out. That might be in my head but I just couldn't stand having any part of the car not match. I'd rather have rock chips than unmatched paint.
Maybe black is different, but I've had various parts of my Forest Green Metallic car done and you can't tell what which parts were repainted. I guess it depends on who does the work.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:58 PM
dak911
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 115 Posts

I have had bumpers refinished, a quality job by a GOOD body shop has been around $400...I have NOT taken a bumper off to have it painted, they did that...
I have also seen bumpers pained on the car if they did not need much repair, they covered the whole car in plastic..
Just about every ne matched....eespecially after a few months...(for sure it will be "shinier" at first.).
Old 03-18-2019, 09:27 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,346 Likes on 660 Posts

I think prices can vary a lot by region. Here in Southern California there is no shortage of customers so it's tough to get any deals from the people that do good work.
I had a e39 bumper sprayed a couple of years ago for $400 and I thought it was overpriced for the quality of the work.

I dropped off a brand new primered bumper that needed minimal prep.

They did a great job on the color match but not so much on the paint job.

Last year I paid $900.00 to paint a 996 engine lid and two piece wing.

$900.00 seems like a lot but it was a color change from black and the shop I used is one of the 'go to' Porsche guys and has a big following with the **** 356 crowd.
I could have found a cheaper place but the car is so pristine that I knew I would never be happy unless the paint job was perfect.

These were all taken at the shop:

Old 03-18-2019, 09:54 PM
jumpy chunky
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I have been thinking of a respray on my front bumper, but It has been damaged by previous owners driving over parking lot curbs. So won't waste the money.
In regards to painting quality, I look down the passenger side of my 996 and can discern orange peel. Porsche finish on other side is smooth as glass. So I think you get what you pay for.

Quick Reply: Respray bumper?