Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Please help identify these screws I found in the rear area under my cab top.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 09:04 PM
KingArthurHS
5th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Please help identify these screws I found in the rear area under my cab top.

Howdy all!

I was poking around back there trying to diagnose a rattle/clunk I'm getting under low speed turning and some accel/braking. My instinct says the sound is suspension related, but it sounds like it's coming from inside the body panel right behind the driver's side door. Almost like there's something rattling around in there. Sorry, not the point. I was in there seeing if anything was loose, and I was unable to find any loose components, but the access wasn't great.

Anyway, I found these two screws (pictured) clinging to the actual magnet on the drivers side rear speaker. They're maybe T20 sized, about half an inch long. Holding them is an actual good use for the ash tray for now. Does anybody know what they go to?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fWO...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cXj...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by KingArthurHS; 09-24-2018 at 10:46 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:48 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

They look like the screws that hold the speakers in the housing...
Old 09-25-2018, 12:49 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

I'm getting the same rattle/clunk every once in awhile. From a stop if I accel a little and hit the brakes I can replicate it. At first I only heard it when the suspension loaded up while accelerating out of a left hand uphill turn, and thought struts. It almost sounds like the decklid or drill is loose (but it's not) and or motor mounts but they are brand new. Sounds like it's coming from my right rear at times...

Going through the PO's service history, he notes a rattle sound from the engine. I suspect this is the same sound and since the engine was replaced it has to be something else.

Quick Reply: Please help identify these screws I found in the rear area under my cab top.