Sponsored by:

ABS/PSM failure but no codes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 09:09 PM
sb3
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ABS/PSM failure but no codes?

Decided to go for a drive today in my 99 C4 and about 30 minutes in I got both the ABS and PSM LEDs to light up. The break pedal did feel as if the brake booster/ABS pump was not working because the 996 brakes started to feel like my old 914. Still went for a spirited drive but when I got home I connected the car to my Durametric. The ABS/PSM 5.3 module seems to work fine, but the durametric tool could not return a code. Has anyone here had an ABS fault but no code return? Also, during my drive I did stop and start 3 times and the ABS/PSM leds would light up again after a few minutes. Any ideas? should I just go ahead and replace the ABS pump? Thanks for your help.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:25 AM
Stotty
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My PSM/ABS lights came on when the MAF failed (though don't know if it threw up any fault codes as I don't have a reader).
Old 09-24-2018, 09:35 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

Do a search there are many threads on this topic. It can be an easy fix like cleaning your MAF and throttle body....but unfortunately it can be also be a needle in a haystack search if the issue is deeper. I had the issue on my 2003 C2 with no codes. Ultimately I think it was related to uneven tire wear/tire size difference because the problem went away when I got new tires, but I never really confirmed that just never happened again after new tires.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:08 AM
sb3
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nickshu
Do a search there are many threads on this topic. It can be an easy fix like cleaning your MAF and throttle body....but unfortunately it can be also be a needle in a haystack search if the issue is deeper. I had the issue on my 2003 C2 with no codes. Ultimately I think it was related to uneven tire wear/tire size difference because the problem went away when I got new tires, but I never really confirmed that just never happened again after new tires.
Great. So the PSM/ABS warning could be anything. I guess I start doing some more reading into this but I'm going to test out the ABS pump first to see if it could in fact be the problem. Thanks for the reply's.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:14 AM
Stotty
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd clean the MAF 1st... mine did exactly the same as yours. Lights came on during hard acceleration. Restarted the car and they went off. The came on again shortly afterwards.

Fixed by changing the MAF.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:19 AM
sb3
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stotty
I'd clean the MAF 1st... mine did exactly the same as yours. Lights came on during hard acceleration. Restarted the car and they went off. The came on again shortly afterwards.

Fixed by changing the MAF.
Yes. I'm going to look at the MAF too but my brakes feel like they have no power assist so the ABS could be in fact the issue. Thanks for the reply.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:59 PM
hardtailer
Pro

Received 282 Likes on 189 Posts

A failed ABS won't change pedal feel but a broken (=no vacuum holding) brake booster will give you the feeling you describe.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:10 PM
sb3
Instructor

Originally Posted by hardtailer
A failed ABS won't change pedal feel but a broken (=no vacuum holding) brake booster will give you the feeling you describe.
Actually, what it feels like now after driving the car around a bit more is the pedal is not returning as quickly as it should after being pressed. I'm not sure what would be causing a slow pedal return. Anybody have any ideas?
Old 09-25-2018, 03:10 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,961 Posts

I had a case once where the brake light switch was faulty/ out of adjustment causing the abs to fault light to come on. Seems the abs expects to see the brake light signal before it sees brake hydraulic pressure, if it see's hydraulic pressure before it see's brake light signal it will illuminate the abs fault light..
Old 09-26-2018, 08:42 PM
sb3
Instructor

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
I had a case once where the brake light switch was faulty/ out of adjustment causing the abs to fault light to come on. Seems the abs expects to see the brake light signal before it sees brake hydraulic pressure, if it see's hydraulic pressure before it see's brake light signal it will illuminate the abs fault light..
I think the problem I have is simular to this. The brake pedal is not returning right away, almost like the return spring is weak or the pedal bushings are worn. The brake pedal seems to have some drag on the return. I'm going to take apart the pedal assembly this weekend and see what I can find.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:18 PM
sb3
Instructor

I pulled the brake pedal switch. It keeps sticking in the off position. Looks like this was the problem. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:15 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by sb3
I pulled the brake pedal switch. It keeps sticking in the off position. Looks like this was the problem. Thanks for the help.
Glad you found it and it was an inexpensive fix !!!
Old 12-23-2018, 07:29 PM
montauk
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happened to me today. I replaced my water pump started the car to check for looks and let it warm up. I looked inside and saw ABS and PSM failed. I drove it anyway to let it warm up fully so I could check and see if I needed to add more coolant. When I got back, I hooked up code reader but didn't get any codes. I started the car and the ABS and PSM lights were out. I didn't drive it again but will tomorrow. Fingers crossed!!!!!
Old 12-24-2018, 01:24 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Check that you plugged in the MAF cable securely after you put the air intake back in. I forgot that step once and got the ABS and PSM lights, but I think I got a code.

Quick Reply: ABS/PSM failure but no codes?