996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Should I Get a Daily Driver?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 12:30 PM
Silk
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

For the money spent on gas, extra maintenance due too short drives and extra depreciation on the 911 you could probably buy and maintain a practical cheap car for your short and maybe also medium commutes.

I am semi daily driving it and sometimes take the longer journey to my destination. Unfortunatey here everything is flat and straight roads. No real thrill to drive.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:30 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mrjonger
I see all the advice on babying the cars. One in particular is try to drive only if you can get it up to full operating temp.

My child's day care is a mile away and my next job maybe another mile on top of that. Would you guys get a separate daily driver? I was contemplating using the bicycle, but it's hilly where I live and lot of times the weather sucks.
I'd say yes, considering your very short commute have you considered an old Nissan Leaf? they can be had dirt cheap now, even with reduced battery range it will easily work for you. I think you can pick them up for around $4k, almost zero maintenance etc

Also after driving a Leaf all week when you get back in your 996 it will feel amazing!

Old 09-21-2018, 02:22 PM
jackolo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should probably get a daily driver if you're really worried about ruining/resale of your 911.
I personally wouldn't care and am going to drive it as much as possible. I'm not one to keep my cars for long though and my 911 is far from pristine/collectible.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:02 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Originally Posted by Valkuri
Any of you have clear plastic slipcovers on your furniture at home, so it doesn't wear out?
Or leave your 'nice' clothes in the closet for special days, but wear polyester Walmart shirts and polyester ties to work?
Or....well, you get the idea.

Life. Is. Short. Drive a car that you like on the same, boring, tired drive to work, and make it a little less stultifying. If, when, it wears out: Fix it, or throw it away and get another one.
Face it: They're not works of art, or endangered species, or cases of irreplaceable vintage wine: They're cars. If you prefer to drive a s**tbox to work, then save yourself the money and worry, skip the Porsche and just drive the s**tbox. Just remember to put slipcovers on the seats, so you don't wear them out...

Flame away, any and all. It's a free country.
You got me pegged. I work from home right now, I save my nice clothes i.e. pants for the special occasions when I step outside.Sometimes I go all out and I forgo the sweat pants in favor or jeans. I don't know what's sadder, someone trying to preserve the cheapest least desired 911 or someone so pretentious they couldn't suffer 15 minutes day in anything less than a Porsche and liken it to wearing polyester clothes from Walmart and sitting on plastic seat covers. Maybe it's because I've been desensitized by take *oh the horror* public transit when I can...sometimes I wish I had a plastic cover when doing that!

The more I think about it though, I'm embarrassed at the prospect of getting another car for a few miles a day. I should just buck up and pedal it on the bicycle. I'll wear the spandex if it makes you happy NuttyProff...where should I send pictures?

Last edited by mrjonger; 09-21-2018 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:30 PM
911Syncro
Pro

Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

Oh, now I know the answer, nobody has suggested this yet: move to the country so you have a longer commute.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:01 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by mrjonger
You got me pegged. I work from home right now, I save my nice clothes i.e. pants for the special occasions when I step outside.Sometimes I go all out and I forgo the sweat pants in favor or jeans. I don't know what's sadder, someone trying to preserve the cheapest least desired 911 or someone so pretentious they couldn't suffer 15 minutes day in anything less than a Porsche and liken it to wearing polyester clothes from Walmart and sitting on plastic seat covers. Maybe it's because I've been desensitized by take *oh the horror* public transit when I can...sometimes I wish I had a plastic cover when doing that!

I was expecting both viewpoints, but am I surprised at the balance. Bore scoring is a $15K+ endeavor, it basically reduces your car to roller status. I would've thought more would be in favor of the beater. $15K isn't exactly chump change for me. If that happened driving the car as intended, so be it. But I think I'd be annoyed with mysaelf if I tossed the car because I wanted to drive a p-car a few miles a day with most of the operating time waiting to get in and out of a parking lot.
Sooo...when did driving a 996 just a few miles become a cause of bore scoring( as long as you don't beat the crap out of it because the oil hasn't fully warmed up)? I've heard of cold weather starts or crappy injectors due to crappy fuel or cylinder ovality, but never short driving in a proper manner. Did I miss something?
Old 09-21-2018, 09:49 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Originally Posted by wildbilly32
Sooo...when did driving a 996 just a few miles become a cause of bore scoring( as long as you don't beat the crap out of it because the oil hasn't fully warmed up)? I've heard of cold weather starts or crappy injectors due to crappy fuel or cylinder ovality, but never short driving in a proper manner. Did I miss something?
I thought I read it somewhere, but I can't find it. I'm going to edit the post as I don't want to be a fear mongerer.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:53 AM
Silk
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Commute in style!!!
https://www.stromerbike.com/en_CH/e-bikes/st2.html

You probably would get around in town faster then by car. Why you need an 911 anyway

For short trips use a bike. Better for your health, better for the environment and least important better for your car.

I will leave it up to you tu use plastic covers at home and wear cheap walmart clothes
Old 09-22-2018, 10:20 AM
Always wanted 1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I️ disagree with driving a 996 anywhere. I️ like keeping mine nice and parking in parking lots and leaving it in the sun are recipes for it not staying in nice shape. I️ drive It when I️ WANT to drive it, where I️ want to drive it.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:01 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
There are cheap nice cars that are fun to drive. I love my e46 328i with a 5 speed manual. truly a nice, fun car for $1,900. I have a .8 mile commute and I feel better about subjecting a totally understressed rock solid motor to such a commute vs. the sensitive porsche motors.
Now that’s a crappy car I’d love to have.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:09 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

I have to agree with everything everyone says in this thread. Because everyone is correct, lol.

A 1+1 mile-trip is pretty short. Better for your health and happiness if you can walk, scoot, or electrically motivate around town, if you can. Then use the 911 in all other cases when it’s raining (the horror), or you need to grab 500lb of landscaping rock (lol, I have pictures to prove it) from Home Depot, etc.

I daily drive my cars in all weather. When I have to take short trips, I don’t flog it. Yes, it really does take 5-10 mins to warmup. Bore scoring can be caused by flogging when not properly warmed up. Flogging with a cold engine causes the pistons to expand faster than the bores, and there isn’t enough oil to protect via the barrier. The same thing happens, BTW, when the engine is too hot. Short trips are problematic when they accumulate over time, without longer trips, and without frequent enough oil changes. So just do those things to be safe.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:16 AM
Always wanted 1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978

Now that’s a crappy car I’d love to have.
I️ searched and searched for an E46 that was a 5 speed in decent shape to drive every day. I️ looked at dozens, up to five grand. All but one was in rough shape and I️ couldn’t get to it in time. I️ ended Up settling for an old X3. 75% of the fun, 200% more utility.

Quick Reply: Should I Get a Daily Driver?