Sponsored by:

Should I Get a Daily Driver?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 04:39 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by mrjonger
Thanks for the input everyone. Strath highlighted my main concern. Bore scoring on a 996 > $7K beater. Yes, the short frequent trips are likely bad for any engine - but (1) I trust a Honda or Toyota to be more durable (2) it will not cost as much coin if I grenade those cars. The other consideration is where I live - horrible roads in SF and a high incidence of break ins - would be nice if I didn't have to take the Porsche around when going into the City.

I'm leaning towards an RSX Type S at this point. But my cheap *** is also reconsidering the bicycle and just driving the 996 when I'm in a huge rush or it's raining.

Agree the 996 isn't expensive. But it's still money I don't want to throw away. And I make time to drive the 996 every weekend, so I'm not worried about it not getting used.
Get the bike, an RSX will get stolen faster than a Porsche in SF. I kid you not, my Acura GSR was swiped.

Also, parking in the city without a garage is brutal on bumpers and paint.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:40 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

Reminds me of a t-shirt I saw once that said "Life is too short to drive crappy cars."
Old 09-20-2018, 04:51 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by cds72911
Reminds me of a t-shirt I saw once that said "Life is too short to drive crappy cars."
That's funny, but I disagree.

I love crappy cars. Have owned a crappy daily driver since 2001 and never regretted it. I don't need a nice car when sitting in stop-and-go traffic, going to the grocery store or Walmart, or to the gym.

One other things that I like about crappy cars is when you get into your fun/nice car, it makes you appreciate it that much more.

My daily driver is a 1997 Accord wagon manual transmission. I've gotten so much use out of it and it's kept my nice car in that much better shape. Less maintenance costs, too! It's actually cheaper for me to drive this car daily.

If I were the OP, I would look for an older Honda or Toyota.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:50 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodman71
Get the bike, an RSX will get stolen faster than a Porsche in SF. I kid you not, my Acura GSR was swiped.

Also, parking in the city without a garage is brutal on bumpers and paint.
I'm thinking of getting one of these. I had something similar in college when I lived in a colorful area. I'd use it on the clutch. For most automatics, I don't think you can't pop the car into gear without depressing the brake.

https://www.autosportcatalog.com/cat...RoCjwoQAvD_BwE

Old 09-20-2018, 07:34 PM
parris
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by wildbilly32
It's a car...Drive it.
I can not agree more.

These cars are more reliable than we think... yes... daily an city use are also within design specifications

Try to make a couple of miles more, use a high quality oil and change it more frequently... and enjoy the car
Old 09-20-2018, 07:56 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by mrjonger
I'm thinking of getting one of these. I had something similar in college when I lived in a colorful area. I'd use it on the clutch. For most automatics, I don't think you can't pop the car into gear without depressing the brake.

https://www.autosportcatalog.com/cat...RoCjwoQAvD_BwE
Oh, you didn't say you were going to get a Tip if you bought a 996...

Now I definitely say buy a bike instead.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:35 PM
sb3
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Everytime I leave my house I have to take a two mile drive down a gravel road to get to the main road to town. The gravel road forces me to drive at 15mph in 1st gear. By the time I hit the pavement I'm always at 180F and ready to rip down the 10 mile twisty road to town. ☺ Enjoy your car and drive it as often as you can.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:04 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

You live in the SF bay area, right? Then get you some spandex and roller skates. You'll fit right in.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:05 PM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Have you considered an e-bike, bicycle with electric assist not the annoying electric scooters that back up traffic. I'd have a hard time justifying buying a second car just to drive such a short distance, although I'd probably be the wrong person to ask. I'v been walking our girls to school about a mile away since grade 1. They get a drive for swim at 6:45am, thunderstorms or -10before windchill in the winter.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:36 AM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Any of you have clear plastic slipcovers on your furniture at home, so it doesn't wear out?
Or leave your 'nice' clothes in the closet for special days, but wear polyester Walmart shirts and polyester ties to work?
Or....well, you get the idea.

Life. Is. Short. Drive a car that you like on the same, boring, tired drive to work, and make it a little less stultifying. If, when, it wears out: Fix it, or throw it away and get another one.
Face it: They're not works of art, or endangered species, or cases of irreplaceable vintage wine: They're cars. If you prefer to drive a s**tbox to work, then save yourself the money and worry, skip the Porsche and just drive the s**tbox. Just remember to put slipcovers on the seats, so you don't wear them out...

Flame away, any and all. It's a free country.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:04 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

There are cheap nice cars that are fun to drive. I love my e46 328i with a 5 speed manual. truly a nice, fun car for $1,900. I have a .8 mile commute and I feel better about subjecting a totally understressed rock solid motor to such a commute vs. the sensitive porsche motors.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:11 AM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by Valkuri
Any of you have clear plastic slipcovers on your furniture at home, so it doesn't wear out?
Or leave your 'nice' clothes in the closet for special days, but wear polyester Walmart shirts and polyester ties to work?
Or....well, you get the idea.

Life. Is. Short. Drive a car that you like on the same, boring, tired drive to work, and make it a little less stultifying. If, when, it wears out: Fix it, or throw it away and get another one.
Face it: They're not works of art, or endangered species, or cases of irreplaceable vintage wine: They're cars. If you prefer to drive a s**tbox to work, then save yourself the money and worry, skip the Porsche and just drive the s**tbox. Just remember to put slipcovers on the seats, so you don't wear them out...

Flame away, any and all. It's a free country.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:22 AM
vtgt
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Just drive it. Life is short.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:12 AM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by vtgt
Just drive it. Life is short.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:11 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 741 Likes on 385 Posts

Drive it! But be ready for a few more repairs, short trips are the hardest thing on any vehicle!

You can mitigate the effects by taking it out for at least an hour on the weekend...

Quick Reply: Should I Get a Daily Driver?