996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Plenum by IPD

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 02:38 PM
rpmillie
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 987.1 Cayman and decided to roll the dice on the IPD/TB combo for my car. I bought directly from Greg at IPD. Before the install, I logged 10x timed sprints, 20-65, 2nd gear only, rolling start from 20MPH set by cruise control (so it was very repeatable), used the MPH Gong set to 65MPH. 2nd gear at 65MPH is over 6,000 rpms so should be in the range of gains.

Each sprint timed with stopwatch. START when throttle mashed to floor STOP when GONG sounded for 65MPH.

The average time of 10 sprints, before and after the upgrade was within the margin or error. No change. I found this very disappointing. I also noted no change in sound, no change in response, no change at all. BUT, here is the deal. I called Greg at IPD and we discussed my findings. He believes the problem is with the 10+ year old MAF. He asked me to change it and run the test again which will be done this weekend. He told me if there was still no difference, he would take the products back on return, no problem. That is one stand-up dude. I don't know too many company's willing to do that. It is clear he believes in his product. It is hard for me to imagine that it would sell so well if it truly does nothing. Upon visual inspection, the part appears far superior than the factory plastic part. BUT, $1,200 it needs to do more than look nice. So I will fit the new MAF and repeat the tests. I will call Greg next week to discuss findings.

I do plan to install the full Soul PP exhaust package. Many believe that is when the IPD product will really shine.

Ron
Long Beach MS
Old 09-21-2018, 03:26 PM
Debo18D
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rpmillie
I have a 987.1 Cayman and decided to roll the dice on the IPD/TB combo for my car. I bought directly from Greg at IPD. Before the install, I logged 10x timed sprints, 20-65, 2nd gear only, rolling start from 20MPH set by cruise control (so it was very repeatable), used the MPH Gong set to 65MPH. 2nd gear at 65MPH is over 6,000 rpms so should be in the range of gains.

Each sprint timed with stopwatch. START when throttle mashed to floor STOP when GONG sounded for 65MPH.

The average time of 10 sprints, before and after the upgrade was within the margin or error. No change. I found this very disappointing. I also noted no change in sound, no change in response, no change at all. BUT, here is the deal. I called Greg at IPD and we discussed my findings. He believes the problem is with the 10+ year old MAF. He asked me to change it and run the test again which will be done this weekend. He told me if there was still no difference, he would take the products back on return, no problem. That is one stand-up dude. I don't know too many company's willing to do that. It is clear he believes in his product. It is hard for me to imagine that it would sell so well if it truly does nothing. Upon visual inspection, the part appears far superior than the factory plastic part. BUT, $1,200 it needs to do more than look nice. So I will fit the new MAF and repeat the tests. I will call Greg next week to discuss findings.

I do plan to install the full Soul PP exhaust package. Many believe that is when the IPD product will really shine.

Ron
Long Beach MS

Keep us posted. Interested to hear the results. I have the IPD plenum on my 996 C4 however I didn't buy it. I was pleasantly surprised one day while detailing the engine and noticed that the previous owner had installed it years ago. So no idea if I gained anything or not but certainly haven't lost anything.

D.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:54 PM
Silk
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

A new MAF can change your car drastically. On itself it is already a perfect mod!

Do not forget to redo also the 10 stock runs with the new MAF. Otherwise you are comparing apples and oranges.

I am planning to dyno my car in the coming months. At the moment the intake is stock. I can check if I can do a comparison run after with the Competition plenum after.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:01 PM
Vfrealtor
Intermediate

I too was going to go this route, purchased a 84mm 997 GT3 throttle body and moving forward with the IPD plenum to match. After reading several post off my thread, I decided to stop and spend the money elsewhere or save up for some nice lightweight bucket seats.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:34 PM
roguiethegiant
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got the larger throttle body (for competition plenum) I'm now looking to sell based on this thread....DM if interested!
Old 09-22-2018, 02:01 AM
Vancouver996
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Spend the money on suspension , limited slip diff and brakes instead , you won’t regret it
Old 10-19-2018, 12:20 PM
rpmillie
Track Day

As mentioned in my 9/21 post, I bought and installed a new MAF as requested by the guys a IPD. I repeated the sprint test as described and the results are within the margin of error. Final conclusion is the 987.1 competition kit on my 2008 CS did not produce any measurable or perceptible change on my car. Clearly this is a disappointment. Even though I read all the theories on why this upgrade should not make a difference etc etc, the basic principal seems logical and reasonable to me: engines breathe air to make power - make breathing easier -- make more power. Not to mention, Porsche guys that I trust have told me this upgrade worked for them and I believe them.

Regardless, for me, it just did not work even though I really wanted it to work. I even set the bar low and decided if it improved ANYTHING, I would keep the kit:
  • better TR?
  • better intake note?
  • shift in the power band?
  • improved economy?
  • better butt dyno numbers?
The painful truth is if I had not performed the work myself, I would not have known anything was done to the car.

On the bright side, Michael and Greg at IPD have been absolutely solid dudes to work with. The first TB I received was defective, I called and they immediately sent a replacement overnight, no questions asked. When I called Greg to discuss my results, he asked me to repeat test with a new MAF and even offered to buy the MAF from me if I was still not satisfied. In the end, I decided to leave the new MAF on the car but did return the IPD kit and they promptly refunded the purchase price. Greg clearly believes in his product and has the integrity to stand behind it. Excellent customer service IMO, which is in short supply these days.

My advice if you are considering this upgrade: As long as you are willing to gamble with your time, give it a crack. Not much to lose here but some time spent with your car, getting to know it a little better. Do your homework, and be prepared to run your own structured tests. Then, when you are all done, judgement made, post your results here!

-- Ron
Long Beach MS
Old 10-19-2018, 12:31 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by rpmillie
As mentioned in my 9/21 post, I bought and installed a new MAF as requested by the guys a IPD. I repeated the sprint test as described and the results are within the margin of error. Final conclusion is the 987.1 competition kit on my 2008 CS did not produce any measurable or perceptible change on my car. Clearly this is a disappointment. Even though I read all the theories on why this upgrade should not make a difference etc etc, the basic principal seems logical and reasonable to me: engines breathe air to make power - make breathing easier -- make more power. Not to mention, Porsche guys that I trust have told me this upgrade worked for them and I believe them.

Regardless, for me, it just did not work even though I really wanted it to work. I even set the bar low and decided if it improved ANYTHING, I would keep the kit:
  • better TR?
  • better intake note?
  • shift in the power band?
  • improved economy?
  • better butt dyno numbers?
The painful truth is if I had not performed the work myself, I would not have known anything was done to the car.

On the bright side, Michael and Greg at IPD have been absolutely solid dudes to work with. The first TB I received was defective, I called and they immediately sent a replacement overnight, no questions asked. When I called Greg to discuss my results, he asked me to repeat test with a new MAF and even offered to buy the MAF from me if I was still not satisfied. In the end, I decided to leave the new MAF on the car but did return the IPD kit and they promptly refunded the purchase price. Greg clearly believes in his product and has the integrity to stand behind it. Excellent customer service IMO, which is in short supply these days.

My advice if you are considering this upgrade: As long as you are willing to gamble with your time, give it a crack. Not much to lose here but some time spent with your car, getting to know it a little better. Do your homework, and be prepared to run your own structured tests. Then, when you are all done, judgement made, post your results here!

-- Ron
Long Beach MS
^^^ It's very rare to find someone that's so objective after he's invested so much time (and $ but you got most of that back) into a project like this. Kudos for such an honest evaluation of this product solely on it's merits (or lack thereof) while leaving your feelings/emotions out of it.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:04 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

It strikes as a little odd that people buy intake/exhaust mods with the expectation or even hope of material HP improvements. I put the OEM sized plenum on my m96 and recently drove a nearly identical car. The noise from the plenum is great. Combine it with Fisters and you change the character of the car, enhancing the feedback. Go look at air-cooled auctions and videos. Sound & feedback reliably trump pure acceleration in terms of driving dynamics, so why do they get discounted as if they're not integral to the enjoyment factor?
Old 10-21-2018, 01:21 PM
incorigeable
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I am a fan. I recognize how many say it is pointless, but I do believe it has made a difference, especially in the mid range. The only potential explanation I can come up with for a differing opinion versus so many is that I live at 6400ft. Might that have an impact? I don't know.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:20 AM
RangerRick
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

Ron, thank you so much for keeping us in the loop of your findings, it is rare to hear from Real World testing, not byus BS. I felt that would be my end result as well, hence the reason for me not buying one. I had the EVO & K&N CAI, the only noticeable difference was sound, even when I invested real money into my Targa - Fabspeed Headers, MaxFlow Exhaust and CAI, my only real gain from the seat of my pants, was quicker throttle response, did it feel faster - Hell No. So my my C4S, I only went with the Fister Exhaust and Stock Air Box, with the hack and large tube. Again, thank you

Quick Reply: Plenum by IPD