Sponsored by:

Accuracy of LN Engineering IMS check

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 12:46 PM
4sight
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accuracy of LN Engineering IMS check

I know I'm new around here, and this could totally be "operator error", but I'm finding the accuracy of the LN IMS check to be questionable.
I've been checking VIN numbers for perspective vehicles and they are not jiving.
For instance, I found a listing for a 2000 996 cab with 82k miles, VIN ending in 650830.
When I enter it, I get a dual-row retrofit installed on a 1999 at 30k miles in 2016. That would mean the model year is wrong and the vehicle had 52k miles put on it in 2 years.
So far, every VIN has come up wrong.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:48 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

If I remember correctly, they were having a problem with it a while back. I think what you're experiencing is the same thing. I'd recommend giving them a call.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:58 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

4: Keep in mind LN information is only as accurate as what is reported to them. If the warranty wasn't handled properly back to LN then the car won't be in the system. At least that is the way I understand the process.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:47 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Also, not all were recorded. Mine was done in 2011 but it's not in the database.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:50 PM
silvergray951
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wondered if they assumed the last 6 of the VIN would be a unique identifier for each car and this turned out not to be the case...
Old 09-18-2018, 05:51 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,070 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by 4sight
I know I'm new around here, and this could totally be "operator error", but I'm finding the accuracy of the LN IMS check to be questionable.
I've been checking VIN numbers for perspective vehicles and they are not jiving.
For instance, I found a listing for a 2000 996 cab with 82k miles, VIN ending in 650830.
When I enter it, I get a dual-row retrofit installed on a 1999 at 30k miles in 2016. That would mean the model year is wrong and the vehicle had 52k miles put on it in 2 years.
So far, every VIN has come up wrong.
If the year and mileage don't match the vin, it's not the same car. We have yet to find two cars of the same model year with the same last 6 digits of the vin (or at least we haven't run into this yet).

Even now, most people send in incomplete or invalid registrations, which we send out notification to the shops and to the owners to allow them to try to correct or complete the registrations.

As another poster commented, the data is only as good as what is provided but only if it is supplied to us.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:17 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

I purchased my car in june of this year. I had the IMS done as part of the purchase. All info was sent in by me. Yet the website still dosen't show my bearing info and i have not gotten any letters of inaccurate or wrong info provided. My bearing number per the sticker is IMSR27319. I sent in a copy of the repair reciept which had all vehicle info including mileage and vin, the old bearing, and filled out the provided card. Still nothing on the site as of this moment. I emailed them a few weeks ago and was told they only add the info monthly or something to that effect. Will see what happens.

i also question what were to happen if the bearing were to fail. What would the actually cover?
Old 09-18-2018, 09:04 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbren1979
i also question what were to happen if the bearing were to fail. What would the actually cover?
I think it's all covered in their warranty document.

http://imsretrofit.com/wp-content/up....v01.14.16.pdf

or if you have the Solution:

http://imsretrofit.com/wp-content/up....v01.14.16.pdf
Old 09-19-2018, 04:17 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

One may also find a significant number of cars that have been fitted and the registration/return of the bearing was not done. Some owners prefer to keep the old bearing as proof of the work being done.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:45 PM
TheAlsatian
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine shows up accurately but your installer has to follow instructions plus the time limit isnt long to submit.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:04 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

I won't block a submission based on date. We regularly accept registrations longer than the posted time limit. What we won't accept is incomplete registrations or requests to add a car into the database that wasn't registered previously. It does a disservice to those who did the job right and followed the posted requirements for registration.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:08 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
I won't block a submission based on date. We regularly accept registrations longer than the posted time limit. What we won't accept is incomplete registrations or requests to add a car into the database that wasn't registered previously. It does a disservice to those who did the job right and followed the posted requirements for registration.
Then any thoughts on what i did wrong? You can see from my post above that we sent in the old bearing, reciept from installer and paperwork that was in the box with the new part. I have never recieved a letter or email from your company stating i mad an error. That was in july. Just checked again and my car still isnt listed on your site.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:13 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Then any thoughts on what i did wrong? You can see from my post above that we sent in the old bearing, reciept from installer and paperwork that was in the box with the new part. I have never recieved a letter or email from your company stating i mad an error. That was in july. Just checked again and my car still isnt listed on your site.
Unfortunately, we do get behind in processing submissions and our system we use is quite slow and doesn't update the site live - I wish it did. We have to export it and email it to our webmaster, who then processes the data and update the site. From time to time, we have submissions sent to us that never make it, and get lost by the postal service or UPS. I would suggest opening a support ticket so we can look into the registration for you.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:26 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
Unfortunately, we do get behind in processing submissions and our system we use is quite slow and doesn't update the site live - I wish it did. We have to export it and email it to our webmaster, who then processes the data and update the site. From time to time, we have submissions sent to us that never make it, and get lost by the postal service or UPS. I would suggest opening a support ticket so we can look into the registration for you.
I did that several weeks ago. I was told the same thing you just said and to wait. I was asked if i had a tracking number to confirm my package was recieved, which i don't. Guess i will just have to wait and hope.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:30 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

I did that several weeks ago. I was told the same thing you just said and to wait. I was asked if i had a tracking number to confirm my package was recieved, which i don't. Guess i will just have to wait and hope.
Sorry! Hopefully it's just that we're behind rather than it being lost. Better than UPS losing a customer's engine block. They lost 6 last year.

Quick Reply: Accuracy of LN Engineering IMS check