Sponsored by:

Tech Support- Clutch slave bleed

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 04:43 PM
moburki
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Tech Support- Clutch slave bleed

I'm having a problem getting my (GF's Boxster) clutch to pump up after doing a trans out service (new PP, FW, fiber, TOB, pilot, arm, and pivot hardware). Never opened the hydraulic system at all. Slave had resistance/pressure when installed back into trans. Then no clutch, pedal to the floor. Ok, no problem, bleed it out. Pressure bleeder, pedal pushed to the floor (initially solo with a wedge, then GF held it to the floor later in the day). Can't get any pedal pressure. Put about a pint through it in 4-5 attempts. I've bled these systems before, without issue. I'm kinda perplexed. I'm thinking about reverse bleeding it tonight, pushing fluid from slave to master. Anyone have this issue that resolved it with some alternate technique? There has to be air in the system, probably master cylinder. Why won't it come out?
Thanks in advance for any help,
Mo
Old 09-17-2018, 05:16 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 697 Posts

Sounds like you are doing it correctly. The only other thought is that the seals blew in the clutch master cylinder or in the slave cylinder. Sorry...not much help on this one.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:23 PM
moburki
Rennlist Member

Thanks. MC pooping out would be a huge coincidence, as it worked just fine before, and no leaking, but the thought has crossed my mind. I'm going to try upping the pressure before reverse bleeding. Been using 20 psi. I think max safe is 28 psi.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:25 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 122 Posts

The google machine says 1.5 bar is 21.75 psi.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 697 Posts

No more than 20 psi!
https://www.renntech.org/forums/tuto...-instructions/
Old 09-17-2018, 05:50 PM
moburki
Rennlist Member

Yea, but I found this thread, http://986forum.com/forums/performan...tch-slave.html where BYprodriver runs 28 psi and gets out a bubble after similar condition. I also seem to remember reading a limit (bentley? or 101projects?) that reccomends 22 psi and a "not to exceed" of significantly higher (28 psi?). Sorry don't mean to be discounting at all, all advice appreciated! It's really frustrating when you gut your SO's car, then something seemingly so simple holds you up. I've been bleeding (knuckles included) for a long time, and it always seems so simple.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:52 PM
OutNSpace
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a similar issue when I had to bleed my clutch. It took me several times to get it to pressure. Here is what I did:

1. Use a pressure bleeder, max 20psi
2. Do not overfill the master cylinder
3. Use a bar or something and press the clutch down all the way, and hold it there
4. Bleed the clutch fluid out at the slave cylinder. Let it run for at least 30 seconds.
5. Close the bleeder valve
6. Release pressure on the pressure bleeder
7. Release the clutch. If clutch is not up to pressure, repeat this process.

I had to do this 3 times before I got rid of the air bubble and it got up to pressure. I used 2 liters of fluid, the first one did a complete flush, and when I got to the second one I caught the fluid from the slave clutch into a clean container and re-used it in the pressure bleeder.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:57 PM
moburki
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Will be patient and try more standard bleeds. Have done 4-5 already. But I'll start with a clear head.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:06 PM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Try pumping the pedal, mine was the same , I had my farther inlaw on the pedal I would open the slave bleed nipple as he was applying downward pressure then close it when the pedal gets to the bottom then release the pedal back to the top and repeat a few times then when you can feel a bit of a pedal coming at the bottom just pump the clutch pedal like a madman for 20-30 times without any bleeding, on mine I could feel the pedal coming to me then, repeat the process if it doesn't sort it on the first go, sometimes this works better on the clutch than the pressure bleed for some reason, back to the old school !
Old 09-17-2018, 10:36 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

Did fluid spill out between the transmission and engine? I’m not sure about boxsters but with 996 it’s common for the slave cylinder to be misaligned with the clutch release fork. The result is what you described - pressure and then nothing as the piston slips past and the slave cylinder explodes apart.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:02 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,957 Posts

Originally Posted by charlieaf92
Did fluid spill out between the transmission and engine? I’m not sure about boxsters but with 996 it’s common for the slave cylinder to be misaligned with the clutch release fork. The result is what you described - pressure and then nothing as the piston slips past and the slave cylinder explodes apart.
^^^^ this is my thoughts as well....
Old 09-17-2018, 11:12 PM
moburki
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by charlieaf92
Been there, done that on my M3. Definitely didn't shoot the rod out. Actually would be very hard to misalign this set up.
Pumped the pedal like a 16 yo with a hustler magazine. Couldn't get even a tiny bit of pedal...ever.
Pressure bled over a gallon of fluid through it. Reverse bled, pushed and pulled. I've tried every method I've ever heard of.
All I can come up with is that the MC failed somehow/randomly while it was apart..
I think my only option before I get out some explosives is to replace the clutch MC and slave so I know all components are good.
What a bummer. It was a great job and I had fun doing the work on this car. Motor seems to run great now (vario cam pads, plug tubes, plugs, cam tensioners, IMSB seal removal, and cover seal, rms). All went smooth and fast relatively. I've probably got 5 hours into a 1/2 hour bleed job. Sheesh.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:40 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by OutNSpace
I had a similar issue when I had to bleed my clutch. It took me several times to get it to pressure. Here is what I did:

1. Use a pressure bleeder, max 20psi
2. Do not overfill the master cylinder
3. Use a bar or something and press the clutch down all the way, and hold it there
4. Bleed the clutch fluid out at the slave cylinder. Let it run for at least 30 seconds.
5. Close the bleeder valve
6. Release pressure on the pressure bleeder
7. Release the clutch. If clutch is not up to pressure, repeat this process.

I had to do this 3 times before I got rid of the air bubble and it got up to pressure. I used 2 liters of fluid, the first one did a complete flush, and when I got to the second one I caught the fluid from the slave clutch into a clean container and re-used it in the pressure bleeder.
^^ This^^ When I did my engine/tranny out and replaced my clutch I had a similar experience. It seemed to take forever to get the air out (I didn't use a pressure bleeder) but eventually the pressure came up and it's been fine ever since (about a year and a half now)... Good luck
Old 09-18-2018, 11:51 AM
moburki
Rennlist Member

:Yea, I wish it would've just taken a long time. I bled this thing for 5 hrs and I think I refilled my qt of brake fluid 5 times.
For the record, the Bentley says 1.5-2 bar of pressure. Not to exceed 29 psi.
I wish there was a magic button to make this problem go away. Ordered new slave and mc this morning.
Porschetech3 have you ever had a random failure occur like this?
When I pumped the pedal furiously, I could hear a bit of squish coming from the mc. Like it was dry, and maybe air coming past the seal. I'll update if I find something out.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:28 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Were there bubbles coming out the bleeder valve while you bleed?

Quick Reply: Tech Support- Clutch slave bleed