Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   Theft recovery - need advice (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/1097975-theft-recovery-need-advice.html)

silvergray951 09-17-2018 01:32 PM

Theft recovery - need advice

Hey guys:
My stolen C4S was found on Friday night - need some advice as I contemplate keeping the car, maybe buying it from the insurance company (as salvage)?
I've been paid out by the insurance company, car apparently totaled though its still registered in my name, and I'm apparently still recorded as the legal owner (verified by the police). The car seems to be in reasonable shape, it was abandoned when it ran out of gas, so I assume the thief drove a few hundred miles around Seattle (less than a tank).
I drove it home and it seems the same as when I lost it, some new scratches, ash all over the interior, curbed wheels but nothing absolutely terrible. I checked over the engine using Durametric and first off, I wanted some feedback on the results.
For range 2, I have 3/3672.4h and total hours now 3753.2:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...6641f8671f.jpg
So does this mean that 81 hours ago, there was a range 2 event?
I don't think that the thief would have been able to put 81 hours on the car during its absence ... and I'm a pretty cautious driver so this is a weird result.

Thoughts on buying the car back? My motivation is mostly all the work I've done on this car over the 4 year period I have owned it.
Cheers,
Michael

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...b0bbf4a452.jpg

strathconaman 09-17-2018 01:46 PM

I think (and I might be wrong, I can remember one other time I was wrong), that 3 "ignitions" in range 2 means 1 revolution (and at 7200 RPM, 1/7200th of a minute) of the engine. I consider this to be a non issue.

Originally Posted by 911SLOW (Post 7989446)
I posted this on the gt3 forum but I altered it a bit to be applicable here too.
To calculate ignitions to seconds just change the rpm's of the example given to the 997tt ones.

DME stores number of ignitions over 6 ranges of rpm for the 997s and 2 ranges for the 996s and the operating hours of the overrev occurrence.

Ignitions are the firings of the spark plugs
On the 911 because its a six cylinder 4 stroke engine you get 3 ignitions per 1 revolution.

For example in a 997GT3.1 you divide the max rpm limit of 8400rpm with 60 seconds and you get 140 revolutions per second of the engine at redline.
Multiply this by 3 and you have the ignitions per second of the engine at redline 140x3= 420 ignitions per second on the rev limiter.
From this you can see how long *in seconds the engine stayed in a particular rpm range and also from the operating hours you can see how long ago this happened.
On the 996 GT3 with rev limiter at 8200rpm 2 types of over revs were recorded in the DME type 1 that recorded every ignition above 8201 rpm. And type 2 which recorded every ignition above 8801 and to infinity.

From the 997 introduction newer DME has the ability of recording not only type 1 and type 2 but 6 types so that the dealers can check easily not only when a type 2 overrev happened and how long it lasted but also at what range of revs.
Type 1 are stored SAME like in 996 for all 997s meaning that type 1 is very common and every one who hits the rev limiter while accelerating should have them.
Type 2 to 5 is adding 200 -300 rpm more for each range and type 6 are overrevs fe. over 9500 and to 11000 and if recorded in dme will probably void your warranty.

Hope this helps

John

If you can get the car back for a discount on what the Insurance Company gave you for it, I think you aren't taking to big of a risk. Pretend it is someone else's car and get a PPI done?

Atrox 09-17-2018 01:50 PM

Whats Buy back amount? If car seems fine and you are ok with any negative emotions related to theft I say go for it. If insurance company made you whole, and you can pick up car for a reasonable price that is.

Selling in future will be an issue.

808Bill 09-17-2018 01:54 PM

All depends on the buy back price and if all check out mechanically.
I bought back a 67 VW camper and was glad I did...Came out way ahead!

wildbilly32 09-17-2018 01:58 PM

Silver: This is awesome news! I was just wondering yesterday if it had been found. I hope it works out to your satisfaction.

silvergray951 09-17-2018 02:37 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm waiting for a call back from the insurance company. I'll update this once I get a verdict on how much it will cost to keep.

e90steve 09-17-2018 02:40 PM

Kind of a cool opportunity to get the car back cheap. After insurance gives you a $$ I'd lowball them back.

parris 09-17-2018 04:14 PM

Regarding the ignitions on range 2, you are right. The ECU registered 3 ignitions on range 2 81 working hours ago (with the current millage and the total hours, you can estimate how many ago it happened)

However, as strathconaman has mentioned, 3 ignitions in a 6 cylinder car is just what it takes one engine revolution. So I would not take it in deeper consideration.

TexSquirrel 09-17-2018 05:26 PM

It is evidence that the car was abused mechanically, and I would let the insurance know that.
I'd buy it back if it were me, but just know that its value has been affected, so try to get the insurance to sell it back to you for as low an amount as possible.

Capt. Obvious 09-17-2018 05:42 PM

If you decide to not keep the car... I'm interested, local, and have cash. :)

yelcab 09-17-2018 07:19 PM

Is that the bridge over the lake Union North of Queen Anne hill on Aurora?

silvergray951 09-17-2018 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious (Post 15297343)
If you decide to not keep the car... I'm interested, local, and have cash. :)

I'll keep that in mind. Actually, you and I have been stalking the same 996's for years. I think you bought one at Chaplins that I was keen on :-)

silvergray951 09-17-2018 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by yelcab (Post 15297583)
Is that the bridge over the lake Union North of Queen Anne hill on Aurora?

Yeah I think so, this is Lincoln Towing on Pasadena Pl NE, right near Ivars. These guys did a great job actually ... considering it was locked and they had to recover and move the car with a dolly somehow. Wheels are slightly scratched, but not awful.
FYI, the car was found on the 2300 block of Fir Street in the Central District.

Capt. Obvious 09-17-2018 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by silvergray951 (Post 15297598)
I'll keep that in mind. Actually, you and I have been stalking the same 996's for years. I think you bought one at Chaplins that I was keen on :-)

That is where my old car came from! I sold it about a year and a half later and immediately regretted it, then bought a C2. I sold that one after owning it for about 9 months when my commute changed drastically. Now I'm on the hunt for another one!

Prelude Guy 09-17-2018 08:17 PM

Sorry to hear about that, I had the same thing happen to my first new car I ever bought in 2007. 2001 325ci. I took extremely good care of the car. I left my garage open and they came in and got the key. Car was gone for a month. Insurance company was trying to pay out the loss but I held out hope. They finally found the car. It had some damage to the driver's door, front bumper, curbed wheels, and some dents and scratches on the roof and hood.

I kept the car and they sent me a check for the damages. I cleaned up the car and I still have it. The door, hood, and roof still have the dents but I cleaned up everything else. Funny, people still think my car is much newer than what it is. I still take care of it.

If you decide to buy it back and sell it, I might be interested in buying it as well.