Sponsored by:

Shopping for 996

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 12:56 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by mrjonger
Is this the dealer/seller JR always recommends?
Old 09-26-2018, 01:13 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jake recommends Stonegate Auto Sales. Given the inventory on Stonegate's page and the RareUnique's BAT profile, it looks to be the same. It's not explicitly stated, but how many places in Cleveland are selling vintage Porsche tractors and Unimog type verhicles alongside 996s with rebuilt engines?

https://www.stonegateautosales.com/c...entory_1.shtml

https://bringatrailer.com/member/rareunique/
Old 09-26-2018, 04:33 PM
4sight
Advanced

Oh well. I thought I had a PPI being done today.
I called and made the apporintment for the dealer to bring the car to the shop for the inspection and somewhere between the shop and the dealer, there was a loss of communication, and so it goes.
I called the shop (as did the dealer) a number of times, left multiple voicemails and emails with no response. So, being over 500 miles away, there is little I can do. I'm SOL on this one.

Perhaps I should take this as an omen.

Last edited by 4sight; 09-26-2018 at 04:33 PM. Reason: afterthought
Old 09-27-2018, 02:20 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Have you looked at the BAT auction, it's at 12K with one day to go.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...1-carrera-4-9/
Old 09-27-2018, 07:49 PM
4sight
Advanced

Have you looked at the BAT auction, it's at 12K with one day to go.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...1-carrera-4-9/
I will keep my eye on that. Thank you. I guess these BAT auctions don't allow for a PPI. Kind of a gamble if you win (like Ebay).

I don't know what happened with Pacific Power Motorsports. Eric was very nice and helpful. I made the appointment, agreed to the price of the PPI, and once the dealer tried to contact them to drop the car off, communication ceased.
I called (multiple times) and emailed (multiple times) with no response. Needless to say I'm left scratching my head wondering WTF?.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:49 PM
GH996
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Rennsport Reunion in his backyard?
Old 09-27-2018, 09:13 PM
lingpoen
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

email me, if your budget is $30+k

marz13.mo@gmail.com

GLTU!

marcus
Old 09-27-2018, 09:24 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Originally Posted by 4sight
I will keep my eye on that. Thank you. I guess these BAT auctions don't allow for a PPI. Kind of a gamble if you win (like Ebay).
I would be inclined to take that gamble with a brand new RND engine fitted with a LN double row bearing and nikasil cylinder sleeves among other things - this was done at a cost of $18K (invoice is pictured). Basically all your modes of engine failure are addressed. It doesn't get much better. I think you will kick yourself if this goes in your price range.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:34 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

I would be inclined to take that gamble with a brand new RND engine fitted with a LN double row bearing and nikasil cylinder sleeves among other things - this was done at a cost of $18K (invoice is pictured). Basically all your modes of engine failure are addressed. It doesn't get much better. I think you will kick yourself if this goes in your price range.
A brand new RND engine would definitely be a big selling point to me.

Last edited by TexSquirrel; 09-28-2018 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:19 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Jake recommends Stonegate Auto Sales. Given the inventory on Stonegate's page and the RareUnique's BAT profile, it looks to be the same. It's not explicitly stated, but how many places in Cleveland are selling vintage Porsche tractors and Unimog type verhicles alongside 996s with rebuilt engines?

https://www.stonegateautosales.com/c...entory_1.shtml

https://bringatrailer.com/member/rareunique/
We never endorse anyone, or anything! We stay completely away from selling or buying Porsche cars.
Stonegate auto sales is ran by local guys who we have known for years. They are a solid company, and they do business honorably in our experiences with them.If someone wants to sell a broken Porsche, we will connect them with Stonegate.

At times we have fitted our engines to some of these cars for Stonegate, but the vehicle that’s on BAT now is not one that we’ve worked with. Our schedule has been too booked over the last couple of years to work with them.

We stick to our specialty of developing products, procedures and building engines, and don’t let anything complicate this. Selling used Porsches isn’t for us.
Old 09-28-2018, 02:39 PM
4sight
Advanced

I don't know what happened with Pacific Power Motorsports. Eric was very nice and helpful. I made the appointment, agreed to the price of the PPI, and once the dealer tried to contact them to drop the car off, communication ceased.
I called (multiple times) and emailed (multiple times) with no response. Needless to say I'm left scratching my head wondering WTF?.
Pacific Power Motorsports has been redeemed. They finally got back to me. They had an emergency and were not able to operate for a couple of days.
The PPI is back on for the 99 C2 Cab. The car will be delivered to them this afternoon for a Monday AM PPI.
Old 09-28-2018, 02:46 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 790 Posts

Pacific Power Motorsports has been redeemed. They finally got back to me. They had an emergency and were not able to operate for a couple of days.
The PPI is back on for the 99 C2 Cab. The car will be delivered to them this afternoon for a Monday AM PPI.
The old "convenient emergency"...What legitimate business that you know of, just stops answering calls for a few day? No voice message? No answering service? Hmmm... Proceed with caution, and trust your gut. I'm not saying it absolutely can't happen, but what are the chances?
Old 09-28-2018, 03:33 PM
4sight
Advanced

Originally Posted by dporto
The old "convenient emergency"...What legitimate business that you know of, just stops answering calls for a few day? No voice message? No answering service? Hmmm... Proceed with caution, and trust your gut. I'm not saying it absolutely can't happen, but what are the chances?
They seem to have a solid reputation. Actually suggested for PPI by Rennlist member. One of the partners called to explain that the managing partner had a medical emergency, and they fell behind. He was apologetic and sounded sincere. He promised that they would do a complete and thorough PPI for me.
I'm not local to them so I kind of have to trust them on their word. Hopefully everything goes smoothly.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:24 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Oh wow, the car sold for $17K. OP, I'm not sure what turned you off about the BAT auction. I thought you'd be all over it as their both Mark I's in a similar color that come with removable hardtops. I hope the one in Concord turns out to be a gem. As it is, I think the one in Concord will end up costing you more money all in (IMSB, RMS, etc etc) and still won't have some of the nice things like the nickies. If anything, you should point out this auction as negotiating tool.

FSI - sorry for the presumption, thanks for clarifying.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:22 PM
4sight
Advanced

Oh wow, the car sold for $17K. OP, I'm not sure what turned you off about the BAT auction. I thought you'd be all over it as their both Mark I's in a similar color that come with removable hardtops. I hope the one in Concord turns out to be a gem. As it is, I think the one in Concord will end up costing you more money all in (IMSB, RMS, etc etc) and still won't have some of the nice things like the nickies. If anything, you should point out this auction as negotiating tool.

FSI - sorry for the presumption, thanks for clarifying.
It seemed like a good car. The paint did look like a mismatch (in the photos anyway). I guess I am a bit leery of purchasing through an auction site. You wouldn't have the opportunity to inspect before committing to purchase.
This being my first Porsche purchase, and taking into account the issues the 996 is known for, I'm trying to be extra cautious.

Quick Reply: Shopping for 996