996 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: LN Engineering

Introduction

Old 09-16-2018, 01:09 PM
pktrusty
New User

Default Introduction

I apologize if there is a introduction thread. I didn't see it. My name is Joe and I live in Utah. I do not currently own a 996 but am looking into purchasing one in the near future and I want to see what the problem issues are. I consider myself mechanically inclined and generally do my own repairs.

I am looking at a 2001 Porsche 911 with 149k miles on it. I would prefer to get something with less miles but I think this will be a good way for me to purchase a Porsche. This will not be my daily driver. I would initially conduct a shake down and upgrade and enjoy some auto cross.

Are there any specific questions to ask with that kind of mileage? I am looking at the car wednesday. It sounds as though the clutch was replaced recently. It has a small oil leak that I plan on investigating when I see it.

I will search the forums but can are parts available at local napas or dealer's only mainly?
Old 09-16-2018, 01:41 PM
wildbilly32
Addict
Rennlist Member

PK:Welcome! Your post is in the proper place.

Last first: parts are available in numerous places including dealer's(OEM and expensive), Pelican Parts, Warehouse33, Auto Atlanta, Sun Coast Porsche, Porsche Atlanta Perimeter Parts and there are many more. You can find them on-line.

I am far from an expert but here would be my concerns from what I've learned in four years:
Search this forum for repetitive issues. Don't be alarmed some are blown up bigger than life but knowledge is a good thing.
During clutch change was IMSB, RMS(either could be your oil leak which would require transmission drop) and AOS changed?
Any records of repairs/maintenance on car?
Has Water pump and thermostat been changed?
Has radiator water tank been changed...recently?
Plugs, coils and injectors changed?
What do tires look like? Are they the same manufacturer? Get down on your hands and knees to look at rears as they tend to wear on the inside first.
Look, listen and smell car while running/driving. One can learn a lot by depending on your senses. Listen for ticking, knocking or chunking in engine and suspension.
Check to make sure all the accessories work...windows, locks, horns, sunroof...etc.
Check a CarFax type document for any big issues.
If you still feel comfortable don't buy car without a through Pre-Purchase-Inspection
Keep in mind with that type of mileage and age, unless someone has super maintained the car, there will be issues.
These are just cars but have some unique issues.
They are easily(not necessarily cheaply) maintained.
Of course check body for alignment issues and possible repair tell-tails.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:32 PM
85eurocarrera
User

Welcome.
first porsche?
149k miles? I would want lots of recent maintenance records. If not, I'd look for something with under 100k miles...plenty out there.
good luck! They are amazing machines.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:55 PM
pktrusty
New User

It is my first Porsche.

I am probably going to get flamed for this but my idea would be once the engine dies to do a LS swap. That is my plan as of now. Never even driven a Porsche. I may change my mind after driving it.

I asked for maintenance records. The guy is having a kid and has it listed for 11k. I anticipate some issues at that price. I am told everything works and runs well. I will let you guys know how it looks. Since this is not a primary ride, I am limited in what I want to spend.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:15 PM
wildbilly32
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pktrusty View Post
It is my first Porsche.

I am probably going to get flamed for this but my idea would be once the engine dies to do a LS swap. That is my plan as of now. Never even driven a Porsche. I may change my mind after driving it.

I asked for maintenance records. The guy is having a kid and has it listed for 11k. I anticipate some issues at that price. I am told everything works and runs well. I will let you guys know how it looks. Since this is not a primary ride, I am limited in what I want to spend.
LS swap?! Yeah that's going to bring out some opinions. Lot of work and money, but if done right it would be thrilling. If you do the LS do it right not like the youtube dude who used a junk yard LS to save money and guess what it blew up too. I have considered doing an LS if necessary as well, however, to do it right would run the money level up to where I could buy a completely rebuilt and upgraded "track happy" weapon from a certain expert in Georgia! There are a lot of choices out there.

$11k depending on condition is a good starting point. Please do keep us updated.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:06 PM
NYoutftr
Addict
Rennlist Member

Welcome PK
Old 09-16-2018, 09:37 PM
wyovino
Addict
Rennlist Member

Find a trusted independent Porsche mechanic in your area and have him do a Pre-Purchase Inspection (PPI). A good one will cost a few hundred dollars but could save you $11k.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:21 AM
MEMike
User

Originally Posted by wyovino View Post
Find a trusted independent Porsche mechanic in your area and have him do a Pre-Purchase Inspection (PPI). A good one will cost a few hundred dollars but could save you $11k.
+1

You won't believe what can be found out by a PPI.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:39 AM
murphyslaw1978
Addict
Rennlist Member

I bought my car with 100k less miles than the one you are considering for under $18k. What is the price of the car you are looking at?
Old 09-17-2018, 10:03 AM
wildbilly32
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978 View Post
I bought my car with 100k less miles than the one you are considering for under $18k. What is the price of the car you are looking at?
Murph: I believe he said $11k.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:31 PM
808Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978 View Post
Reading is so overrated!
Welcome Joe, as others have said, get as much documentation as you can. At $11K expect a few thousand of maintenance needed over time. Good way to get your feet wet, these are marvelous machines!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: