Sponsored by:

Rear tires gone in 1,500 miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 06:20 AM
bbboomer67
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Rear tires gone in 1,500 miles

How is it even possible that my new rear tires, Continental Extreme Contact Sport, would be gone and down to the cords in 1,532 miles. The fronts look fine. One rear went flat. I swapped it for the mini spare, which was not fully inflated and only lasted a couple of miles before shredding...had to get a tow. I had the wheels aligned this spring after having the rear control arms replaced on my '02 C2 Cab. A friend said it happened to his Boxster, and it was rear wheel alignment. The wear across the other rear looks even but all tread is gone...a slick. Any thoughts about culprits other than rear wheel alignment? New Michelins on order...an expensive summer for tires!
Old 09-15-2018, 08:51 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 122 Posts

Alignment, rear wheel drifting, tire spin?
Old 09-15-2018, 09:14 AM
Horsepwr
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Either your are burning rubber up and down the road, or your alignment in way the hell off. Is it possible you have another person in your home who may be taking the car for a joy ride here and there and showing off by peeling out all over the place?
Old 09-15-2018, 09:30 AM
bbboomer67
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Horsepwr
Either your are burning rubber up and down the road, or your alignment in way the hell off. Is it possible you have another person in your home who may be taking the car for a joy ride here and there and showing off by peeling out all over the place?
I'm a sedate 72 year old who only occasionally is heavy on the gas. I don't burn rubber, and no one else drives the car. I do like corners but have not abused this car in any way. Gotta be the alignment failed, eccentric bolts loosened, something like that. I did have an issue once after the car was up on a lift...the eccentric on the left rear loosened by itself, and the car was scary to drive! Maybe Loctite those alignment bolts?
Old 09-15-2018, 10:00 AM
Horsepwr
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bbboomer67
I'm a sedate 72 year old who only occasionally is heavy on the gas. I don't burn rubber, and no one else drives the car. I do like corners but have not abused this car in any way. Gotta be the alignment failed, eccentric bolts loosened, something like that. I did have an issue once after the car was up on a lift...the eccentric on the left rear loosened by itself, and the car was scary to drive! Maybe Loctite those alignment bolts?
Loctite cant hurt for sure. That is a shame, I would be talking to who ever did the alignment...

BTW I love the color!
Old 09-15-2018, 10:03 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

If its even wear then its either your tire pressures are wrong or the way your driving it. Or it could well be defective rubber compound.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:16 AM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 738 Likes on 383 Posts

Seriously, contact Continental and have them look at the tires, sounds like defective compounds/manufacturing defect.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:35 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

One rear went flat. I swapped it for the mini spare, which was not fully inflated and only lasted a couple of miles before shredding...had to get a tow.
FYI. In the future, with a flat rear tire, you move your good front tire to the rear, and then mount the space saver spare to the front. 50 MPH max.

Old 09-15-2018, 10:59 AM
SoundnSpeed
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

I am running the same tires since January 2018. They have performed well and still look very good, I've put over 7,000 miles on them. I would be contacting the place I bought them from and Continental directly. Your wear experience is super a-typical.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:29 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

As others have said. Correct Tire pressure is very important as is the alignment. Periodically check the spare as it's useless if not full.
They do make locking plates for your eccentric bolts. I'd get new ones. I suspect the last place that did your alignment never torque them properly...
Old 09-15-2018, 12:48 PM
bbboomer67
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
FYI. In the future, with a flat rear tire, you move your good front tire to the rear, and then mount the space saver spare to the front. 50 MPH max.
Wow, I didn't read the manual about flat rear tires so I didn't know this. I would have had to think to jack the front first and swap the space saver there before lifting the rear. I'll know for next time. I was only going 25mph with the space saver on the rear, but there is a lot more weight on the rear than the front!
Old 09-15-2018, 12:57 PM
bbboomer67
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mumbles
If its even wear then its either your tire pressures are wrong or the way your driving it. Or it could well be defective rubber compound.
I'm betting on an alignment issue...pressures were good. I'd rather believe in defective rubber but find that hard to believe. I will contact Continental.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:20 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

I talked about tracking my 1999 C2 in another thread. It became obvious on the track that the suspension was worn out, including the bolts you mentioned. The speed shop that replaced my suspension is very familiar with 911s. They stated that it was not uncommon for these bolts not to stay torqued. On one of their race cars (not a 996), they replace the bolts as part of normal maintenance after every third race. My loose suspension allowed the rear tires to pivot from side to side under load. It was a strange feeling on the track. Uncontrolled rear wheel steering. Sounds like you are having a similar issue.

Rear tires also didn't last as long as the fronts. About half as long. Sticky rear performance tires are good for about 3 hours of track time.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:55 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Wow, I didn't read the manual about flat rear tires so I didn't know this. I would have had to think to jack the front first and swap the space saver there before lifting the rear. I'll know for next time.
That's best. But, as stiff as our cars are, you can lift from the rear, and the front will also come off the ground.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:17 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Either defective tires as others have said, or someone snuck in at night and swapped out you new conti's for some old worn out ones... If they're really like "slicks" after 1500 mi. there's somethin' fishy going on...definitely no reasonable explanation for such...

Quick Reply: Rear tires gone in 1,500 miles