996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Rear tires gone in 1,500 miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 06:37 PM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I do most of my own work like this week its a turbo refresh. But when i use a shop its one that specializes in porsches, that know all the details i may not. They do my corner ballancing, alignments along with being a main sorce for my parts. Develop a good relationship w your local indy that can handle it, hopefully the building is packed with them at night like Fisher Motorsports.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:54 PM
Astro
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

Just curious if worn lower control arms can cause this ? My front end has been squeaking so I applied some lubricant into the bushing boot. It stopped the squeaking but I have noticed a vibration at highway speeds coming thru the steering wheel. Could these worns bushings cause the vibration and ultimately the tires to wear prematurely ?
Old 09-20-2018, 06:25 AM
bbboomer67
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

My shop called last night to say all suspension bits look fine. Everything is tight as it should be. They are taking it in for an alignment today. Will keep you posted.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:22 AM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Getting close to an answer, make sure report shows you before and after.

Originally Posted by bbboomer67
My shop called last night to say all suspension bits look fine. Everything is tight as it should be. They are taking it in for an alignment today. Will keep you posted.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:14 PM
bbboomer67
Rennlist Member

Another update. The shop emailed me to say the motor mounts were fine, but the bolts that hold the rear subframe to the car were not 100% tight! Under load this could cause the rear suspension to skew a bit. He could not explain how those bolts became loose after the car left the factory as they are never touched. The car has an appointment tomorrow to get an alignment by the only Porsche trained alignment guy in Vermont.

I picked up my replacement spare tire and wheel this morning. The wheel and tire came from a salvage yard, are the correct size, and have 60 psi in it.

Gadsby: Are your rear tire air pressures low? Shouldn't they be 44 psi?

It sounds to me like we are making some progress!
Old 09-20-2018, 02:46 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Another update. The shop emailed me to say the motor mounts were fine, but the bolts that hold the rear subframe to the car were not 100% tight! Under load this could cause the rear suspension to skew a bit. He could not explain how those bolts became loose after the car left the factory as they are never touched. The car has an appointment tomorrow to get an alignment by the only Porsche trained alignment guy in Vermont.

I picked up my replacement spare tire and wheel this morning. The wheel and tire came from a salvage yard, are the correct size, and have 60 psi in it.

Gadsby: Are your rear tire air pressures low? Shouldn't they be 44 psi?

It sounds to me like we are making some progress!
A bit of advice, buy a small 12Vdc air compressor and keep it in the frunk. Best 20 bucks youll ever spend when you get another flat. Also, generally speaking, the emergency spare should only be used in an emergency, like stuck out in the middle of nowhere type of emergency.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:06 PM
bbboomer67
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RngTrtl
A bit of advice, buy a small 12Vdc air compressor and keep it in the frunk. Best 20 bucks youll ever spend when you get another flat. Also, generally speaking, the emergency spare should only be used in an emergency, like stuck out in the middle of nowhere type of emergency.
Good idea on the mini compressor. BTW, I was in the middle of nowhere!
Old 09-20-2018, 04:16 PM
bbboomer67
Rennlist Member

Just heard from Tire Rack...they are crediting me $480. A little faith is being restored!
Old 09-20-2018, 05:32 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Good idea on the mini compressor. BTW, I was in the middle of nowhere!
I meant like middle of no where with no cell phone reception type middle of no where. Main reason (in my opinion) is these tires are old AF by this point and new one cant be found.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:46 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

RngTrtl, you just described much of rural Vermont. I live near the largest municipality, and I still lose cell signal multiple places on my short commute in.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:30 AM
bbboomer67
Rennlist Member

Alignment didn't happen yesterday. My wife and I are going on vacation out of the country for a couple of weeks. I will update the results of the alignment once I return. Thanks for all the good tips, thoughts, and replies!
Old 10-08-2018, 04:56 PM
bbboomer67
Rennlist Member

Update...Just returned from a 10 day vacation in France and picked up my car from the shop in Burlington. The good news is the car drives great, feels very planted. The bad news...no smoking gun. The previous alignment was close. He did find that bolts holding the subframe to frame were not tightened to spec, and that "could" have contributed to the tire issue?? My mechanic was also very impressed that Tire Rack so easily gave me back $480. I did not have to fight them at all, just returned to them the 2 rear tires for their inspection. They immediately paid! That has not been his experience over the many years Tire Rack has been in business! He thinks there may have been an issue with those Continental tires.

I will never again assume tires with 1,500 miles on rears are going to be good. When I enter the car, I always look at the front tires not the rears. That will change now and I will religiously check pressures.

Anyway, I'm back before the foliage peaks and have a few more great drives ahead before the snow flies!

Quick Reply: Rear tires gone in 1,500 miles