996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Hoovie blew up his LS2

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 06:18 AM
Lancruza
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's some info from Renegade Hybrids. This is the company that Hoovie used for his swap. They recommend an LS3 be used. Not really sure why he used a LS2. I find the swap pretty interesting. In their conversion they use an electric water pump and electric power steering pump. An LS3 and a 3.4 are very close to the same weight. 430HP -

http://www.renegadehybrids.com/996/LS-1.html

Old 08-28-2018, 09:26 AM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 233 Posts

At this rate with his success with cars, perhaps he should stick to riding the bus.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:47 AM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by Lancruza
Here's some info from Renegade Hybrids. This is the company that Hoovie used for his swap. They recommend an LS3 be used. Not really sure why he used a LS2. I find the swap pretty interesting. In their conversion they use an electric water pump and electric power steering pump. An LS3 and a 3.4 are very close to the same weight. 430HP -
I think all he used from Renegade was a parts kit. He had a "super mechanic" Vern or someone like that to do the install. The Renegade dudes appear to do it right, but Hoover would never spend the money for that because it wouldn't be a story. Used an engine from a scrap yard...nuff said.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:32 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by wildbilly32
I think all he used from Renegade was a parts kit. He had a "super mechanic" Vern or someone like that to do the install. The Renegade dudes appear to do it right, but Hoover would never spend the money for that because it wouldn't be a story. Used an engine from a scrap yard...nuff said.
^^Ha^^ Yeah, he calls him "The Wizard" !!! The dude didn't even have a pointy hat with stars on it... I didn't see much magic happening either
Old 08-28-2018, 11:58 AM
Lancruza
AutoX

Originally Posted by wildbilly32
Yep, that's right. He just ordered the conversion kit from them and had his mechanic do the install. I spoke with a guy at Renegade and he didn't seem too pleased with the video that Hoovie shot showing the "Wizard" installing the swap. He pointed out several things that were done incorrectly. I've been toying around with the swap idea for a while. I'm looking for a 99 or 2000 roller. I bet it would be a great driver. We'll see.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:26 PM
Andrew Stowell
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lancruza
Yep, that's right. He just ordered the conversion kit from them and had his mechanic do the install. I spoke with a guy at Renegade and he didn't seem too pleased with the video that Hoovie shot showing the "Wizard" installing the swap. He pointed out several things that were done incorrectly. I've been toying around with the swap idea for a while. I'm looking for a 99 or 2000 roller. I bet it would be a great driver. We'll see.
Renegade only has themselves to blame for the bad press of Hoovie installing their kit incorrectly.

They don't include any instructions besides how to wire up the tach! Which Hoovie still couldn't get to work because he used an LS2 instead of an LS3.

Their kit is overpriced for how much stuff is left to the owner to figure out how to make work. A lot of things have to be made from scratch even with their most expensive kit.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:33 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,276 Likes on 1,709 Posts

Renagade deff has the knowledge to make the swap easier. They have nice products too. Before i got the motor running on my roller i was talking with them about a swap. They recomend the ls3 because its design has several performance advantages over previous generations of ls motors. Also u can get gm performance engines with with warrente. The ls swap isnt for everyone and its not about weight, but power to weight. It will deff change the characteristics of the car ands its drivability.

im still gonna do the swap but now i have time to build the motor i want. Its gonna be a 500hp that spins to 8k and it will be at the top end so it keeps some of the driving characteristics. I should be in the 9-10k in brand new parts and although thats a lot its no where near a reliable 500hp flat 6. Bottom line is speed costs money and not everyone spends it the same way.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:43 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

2 Years ago Renegade quoted me $30K to do the swap...I laughed and hung up!
Old 08-28-2018, 01:01 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
2 Years ago Renegade quoted me $30K to do the swap...I laughed and hung up!
Don't want to sound like a commercial, but this is exactly more reason why I'd hire Raby's team at Flat 6 Innovations.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:41 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

^^ A 30k Raby car would probably also have more residual value as well. Now, not quite as much power, but it’s close enough, that on the track, I doubt there would be much of a gap. The LS motor, I believe, has a higher center of gravity than a flat6, and with the right exhaust, the flat6 has enough of a grumble that it still sounds great.

Now if the LS swap were closer to $15k, and if it were more complete, I would be more interested for a street car version.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:44 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

The total swap for my car will be in the 15k range because im doing all the work myself and it will be a street car. Im not looking for back end value as my car would have none even with a raby engine. So, for me its just going to be a fun project car that will keep up with my buddies ls6 miata.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:00 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

The smartest decision would be to send it to Jake and have him build a monster.
But that would take a lot of waiting.
People are impatient so they go other routes.
The route I plan to take is to learn from Jake (by attending Knowledge Gruppe classes) and eventually rebuild mine myself.
If my plan changes, I’ll pick up a beater to drive for a while and modify my plan slightly.
I could probably rebuild mine now since I’ve built engines before, but I’d rather learn the secrets and do it correctly the first time.
These are not cheap engines to rebuild.
Going back in a second time needs to be avoided!
Old 08-28-2018, 04:43 PM
Lancruza
AutoX

I totally understand people who want to keep a Porsche ALL Porsche. I also get why some people will choose other routes. If I chose to go the swap route, I would probably look for a wrecked Vette and pull the LS3 for a swap. I would also do the work myself like De Jeeper is going to do. Porsche labor rates are astronomical. I should be able to save mucho dinero by doing it myself.

Hey DeJeeper, are you going to use a Renegade kit for your conversion?
Old 08-28-2018, 05:36 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

At least some of it. I already have a porsche electric steering pump from a newer gt-3 and im gonna run the factory ls water pump. The electric water pumps dont flow enough. The clutch and adapter are from kennedy. I dont need any of the accessory brackets either because they r all available from summit or jegs. I can make the mm plate and mounts but the renagades pieces r pretty nice and i doubt ill spend the time redesigning the wheel. The thing is, u can buy the parts ala-cart from renegade and their pricing is actually really good so buying their kit may even save money. I have already bought 2 csf rads from them and they beat everyone elses prices.

Bottom line is renagade makes a difficult swap easier so im sure i will take advantage of their knowledge.

ill start a build thread but that probably wont happen till early next year, maybe even later because as i said i was able to fix my roller motor so im gonna take my time.

also not sure if u have seen ls3 yard prices. They think they r made of gold and used 80k motors r 6k, hence the decision to build my own.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:49 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
The smartest decision would be to send it to Jake and have him build a monster.
But that would take a lot of waiting.
People are impatient so they go other routes.
The route I plan to take is to learn from Jake (by attending Knowledge Gruppe classes) and eventually rebuild mine myself.
If my plan changes, I’ll pick up a beater to drive for a while and modify my plan slightly.
I could probably rebuild mine now since I’ve built engines before, but I’d rather learn the secrets and do it correctly the first time.
These are not cheap engines to rebuild.
Going back in a second time needs to be avoided!
Yes, that's what I did back in 2010, went to Jake's 1st engine rebuild class, got back home & pulled my engine that had never given me any trouble other than insufficient low rpm torque. Now instead of a stream of non running rollers I only worry about someone totaling my car. If that happens I buy it back from Ins.co & transfer engine to the roller of my choise.

Quick Reply: Hoovie blew up his LS2