Sponsored by:

No window drop, central lock LED on always

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 11:13 AM
bbboomer67
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Default No window drop, central lock LED on always

My passenger window is not dropping using either the inside or outside door handle. My understanding is that the cause is a failed door latch microswitch. At the same time, the Central Locking LED is on all the time. If a door switch is bad, will that trigger the Central Locking LED? I can lock the car with the key remote. I originally thought the window drop problem was a bad regulator, but further reading indicates a bad microswitch. Is that correct? TIA
Old 08-21-2018, 11:21 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

There are three micro switches involved in the window-drop function. It's unlikely that all three went bad at the same time. This sounds like a problem with the central locking system. The window isn't dropping because the car thinks it is locked.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:37 AM
bbboomer67
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wyovino
There are three micro switches involved in the window-drop function. It's unlikely that all three went bad at the same time. This sounds like a problem with the central locking system. The window isn't dropping because the car thinks it is locked.
Thanks, wyovino. If what you say is true, why is it only the passenger side window drop issue?
Old 08-21-2018, 11:47 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Beats me. The system thinks that your passenger door is locked. Here is a breakdown of the door micro switches.

Switch for inner handle.
Switch for outer handle.
Switch in the latch that indicates whether the door is open or closed.

I have replaced all three at different times and never experienced the symptoms that you are showing.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:48 AM
rogazilla
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my car its the passenger lock mechanism that needed replace. There is a switch to tell if the door is open or closed and that switch failed. The way it works is when you pull the handle a signal is send to drop the window and another switch that indicate the door is open and hold the window down. Once the door is in closed position it send signal to send the window back up.

When the lock mechanism is broken, it tells the system the door is 'locked' not just closed hence your led light is on and it does not drop the window. When the door is locked, you pull the handle the first time to 'unlock' the second time to open the door/drop the window. It never get out of the 'locked' status hence window does not drop from either handles.

Try to hit the central lock button to unlock the door, you should hear the driver side unlock and the passenger side you can hear the motor but then the car double beep and the red light remain on the central lock button.

For more than a year, I sprayed some lubricant into the lock mechanism, I guess it frees up the micro switch and fixes the problem. Last month, I finally bought a used passenger door lock mechanism and replaced it.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:07 PM
bbboomer67
Rennlist Member

Thanks, rogazilla, that sounds just like what my car is doing. I'll look for a lock mechanism.

Quick Reply: No window drop, central lock LED on always