996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Question for you Valentine 1 users....

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 06:34 PM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Received 733 Likes on 346 Posts
Question Question for you Valentine 1 users....

As many of your recall, I recently gave my initial first impressions of the V1 versus the 8500. While I am still in the process of evaluating them side-by-side (using my wife's 8500) which I will share as soon as I get more data. Sidenote: I find it extremely "humorous" that I haven't seen ONE policeman using radar or laser since I started my side-by-side evaluation!! Perhaps this is the way to avoid detection.

QUESTION: How many of you V1 owners have DISABLED X-Band? Any of you that did disable it, go back and re-enable it? I find the V1 falses close to 10-1 compared to the 8500 and it's really starting to annoy me. Seriously considering disabling X even though I have occasionally seen it used around the Cincinnati area.

Does anyone have the URL handy for the instructions to disable X-band. I know it's on the V1 website somewhere. TIA
Old 01-17-2004, 07:14 PM
NYSE Guy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have it in Full Logic and find that it isn't too bad for me. I usually travel the same route day in and day out so I know what to look for as far as the k falses. The big L doesn't disable x band completely from what I understand. It only notifies you of it when it's coming in strong. I don't have the URL, but I have the book handy if you want me to email you instructions. LMK

Ed
Old 01-17-2004, 07:20 PM
ScottW
Advanced

Here's the link, it's in "Mike's Lab"

http://www.valentine1.com/lab/MikesLabRpt3.asp

-Scott
Old 01-17-2004, 10:50 PM
steve c
Addict
Rennlist Member

I disabled X-Band earlier this week. It has made the unit much, much more enjoyable.

I have only been painted by X-band once in the past few years, and it was way out in the sticks ...

I am also doing a V1 and 8500 side by side comparison. So far the V1 is winning in terms of early detection in the Ka band. Regardless, I prefer the V1 for the simple fact that it has directional arrows.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:59 PM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Received 733 Likes on 346 Posts
Cool Thanks for the info.....

Ed & Scott,

Thanks for your help; it's appreciated.

Steve,

I'll be interested in your side-by-side test results as well. It's nice to hear that the Ka band is more sensitive. I've still not encountered any K, Ka, or Laser!!
Old 01-18-2004, 05:42 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

I leave X-band on, but I have just learned to tune out X-Band. The funny thing is, after using it for a long time, I can tell when it is a cop using X-band. I use to get hit by X-band a lot when I firsted started using V1s back in 98 or 99. The X-band will usually pop up in 2s when it is a doorway (one for in and one for out). Also, false Xs usually hit from the side with out a lot of strength.

I have done side by sides also and my 8500 sits in it s box unused. My wife does use the solo though. She is more about form over substance and probably does not speed at all. She like the no wires at all clean look. My biggest gripe with the 8500 was that the volume dropped after a few blips to the point where you could not hear it over a stereo. I have looked down before and seen the thing lit full lock without hearing it. A lot of good that does.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:10 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

high sensitivity can = high # of false positive results
Old 01-18-2004, 07:34 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

And low sensitivity can = high # of points on your license ;-)

My V1 rarely sounds for X band (I run it in Logic mode) but I do get a number of K-band falses, sometimes from other cars radar detectors. (The K-40 is terrible for making other detectors false; I had one in a 97 Carrera 2 I owned (previous owner put it in) which was on all the time, and when I would pull up to my garage door the reflection from the K-40 would set off the V1. I eventually ripped it out by the roots ;-)

And worse, here in Massachusetts, they run highway warning signs on batteries with a K-band transmitter to sense when traffic is coming and light the sign up. Gets pretty aggravating, especially on the Mass. Pike.

Vic
99 C2 cab

Quick Reply: Question for you Valentine 1 users....