Sponsored by:

Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 02:49 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 741 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
Bad ignition switch (most likely just the electrical part)...
+1
Old 10-07-2018, 03:00 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by shammydog
Is there just an electrical part? I've found only this in my searches. Also seems to be an expensive part if this is not the problem. Any way to test this outside of trying a new one?

I also swapped relay's 7 and 8 as they are the same part. No luck.
Replace the ignition switch!
If it's not the ignition switch then resell it as many others will soon need one (like me)
Old 10-07-2018, 04:00 PM
shammydog
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Replace the ignition switch!
If it's not the ignition switch then resell it as many others will soon need one (like me)
yep, that’s my plan. Thanks to all for the consult. Will let you know what happens once I get the new ignition switch in hand. Also, someone commented that only the electrical part was needed. I believe that in older models there were 2 parts, and in my 2006 model year the ignition switch has been consolidated into a single part. Pic is above.

For kicks, I tested that relay #7 is in fact receiving 12v to pin#30 and bench tested the relay. Very simple, apply current across 85 and 86 with a 9v battery, test for continuity across 30 - 87. 87 goes direct to the solenoid and is responsible for activating the starter.

Old 10-07-2018, 06:24 PM
shammydog
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A quick update ... seems our good friends at Porsche decided that the Start Lock relay needed to be moved from (996) Relay Support 2, position 7 -> (997) Relay Support 1, position 15. Relay Support 1 btw is no picnic to access.

https://workshop-manuals.com/porsche...ions/page_118/

Since I can't get a new ignition switch today, I decided to hard wire the relay to rule out any other possible power delivery issues to the starter solenoid. I tried RS2#7 of course, and the engine fan kicked on. Then some research, then hardwired RS1#15 and was able to get the starter to crank!! It was a very happy sound. It would not turn over tho so something else in the system is not being energized, which (hopefully) takes me back to a new ignition switch.

Wish me luck.

Quick Reply: Starting Issue