Durametric coding (newbie) question for 996 MK1

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 05:10 AM
vincentp
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Durametric coding (newbie) question for 996 MK1

Hi !
I decided to get a durametric pro for my 1998 996 C2 as I envisioned the cost to go to the dealer to reset a fault or to activate a few things (at that time I wasn't sure if the OBC was already activated). I've already used the cable a bit and each time I've been recouping my cost ! (OBC stalk installation, had to ignite several times to check proper behavior of my mods, without airbag => reset the fault later)

I do have a few questions however :
- do I need to code the car to enable my upcoming install of cruise control retrofit (reminder : it's a 1998 996, cable gaz, CC uses a external servo, not a "mordern" retrofit with just minor wiring)
- I see that the DME coding is VERY limited on my DM5.2.

I 'd like for instance to re code my central locking feature (self locks at 5-10 km/h). I read that's a PIWIS (or eq) only coding feature :-/

Is there a particular reason that the early 996 DME have such little coding options for the durametric cable ? Is there a technical limitation to do so ? do you think it's the kind of options that will be enabled in a future update of the software ?

thanks
Old 08-16-2018, 10:50 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

It's not just the 996.1 that has limited DME coding, that "feature" extends to the 996.2 too.
You will have to enable the cruise control, which is about all the 996 coding feature is good for.
If I recall correctly you can also enable the alarm too.
Unfortunately just about everything else requires a PIWIS to code.
Durametric(Porsche) and Bavarian Technics(BMW) don't get updated very often.
At least for Bavarian Technics they have a full list of what can be coded by vehicle model before you buy.
I never have seen the list for Durametric.
I was extremely disappointed in the limited use Durametric gave me for the 996.
Luckily I can use it on other customer cars.
Although my Snap-on scanner can do almost everything the Durametric/Bavarian Technics can do and the Snap-on is actively being updated.
Snap-on recently added a feature that the Bavarian Technics software can't do.
They added battery type & rating change.(lead acid to AGM & Ah)
I got to use that feature for a customer yesterday.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:48 PM
vincentp
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks a lot for the detailed answer. I'll email durametric to see if that's something they can do in the future, maybe they are only licensed (by Mr P.) to "unlock" a certain number of features on their tools.

Quick Reply: Durametric coding (newbie) question for 996 MK1