996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

IMS Bearing failure recovery and cylinder head condition

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 09:39 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 133 Posts

Back to the original question: Based on my experience, I think there’s a good chance your heads and cams are fine. The car I bought had a major failure of the number 6 connecting rod bearing. I don’t know how long the previous owner ran it, but it had glitter in the oil canister, glitter and chunks of bearing material and steel in the sump and stuck to the oil intakes. The con rod was running metal to metal on the crank, and the crank was heavily scored.
I had the same concerns as you, so sent the heads and cams to Hoffman and asked him to check them and give me his opinion. He cleaned them, did leak tests and pressure tests, and surfaced the gasket surfaces. Bottom line was the cams and bearing surfaces, and valve guides were in excellent shape, in fact he told me he’s seen heads in much worse condition from engines that had not suffered a failure. I installed them into a new short block and the engine is running perfectly.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:42 PM
tomcat
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The crankcase is actually connected to the heads by the cavity for the chains. I had metal from the crankcase get into the heads while using a no bypass oil filter.

Posters should be be a little careful with absolute opinions, especially when they are absolutely wrong.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:02 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

I was just relaying my experience, other experiences may have different outcomes.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:23 PM
tomcat
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coopduc, if your post was addressed to my last post, just wanted to clarify my post was not addressed to you specifically.

Saying a failure in the crankcase absolutely does not affect the heads is wrong and I think it would be wrong to lead listers to believe so. Yes, you can gamble, but anyone repairing their engine should know there is a pathway for debris to get into the heads. IIRC, the detergents in the oil actually captures/carries debris to take it to the sump as opposed to break in oil which allows debris to drop out.

An engine rebuild is expensive and is a good example of insanity. So everyone that partakes in dong so should at least know what the risks are so there isn’t a second failure sooner than expected.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:24 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by silvergray951
Umm hell yeah! My favorite color!
I'd be most grateful if you would put me in touch. I'll see if I can send you a message...
Cheers,
PM'd contact info of seller and also called your cell....
Old 08-13-2018, 10:42 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

@tomcat - understood, no issue from my side. In any event, heads and cams absolutely should be checked after an engine failure, but not automatically assumed they are damaged.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:50 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,957 Posts

I'm in the camp of the heads will be ok. No need to squabble about it, no one will know until it disassembled and inspected/measured.I've been a dealer Tech for over 40 years and have seen the inside of many engines with debris of all kinds and all amounts. Debris usually kills the rod bearings or main bearings first, the heads usually survive (unless there is a catastrophic failure like broken rod or dropped valve). What usually kills the heads is dirt or very small debris, less than 10 microns (that the filter will not catch anyway) over a long period of time that will wear the in-head cam bearings.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:43 AM
User 63031
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Splitting Atoms
Its true that marketing is often deceptive, but in this case, the LN Engineering folks are widely recognized as experts on these engines. If you search in the threads, there is discussion with pictures related to the design of the stock porsche oil filters.

There is history on the design too. I have a porsche 356 with a paper filter. The 356 engines are based on the old VW engines. They also have bypass flow. There are also adapters you can buy for the 356 to install modern oil filters, although I don't think LN Engineering sells those.
It *is* deceptive though, as that paragraph you mentioned makes it seem that the original filter configuration 1) isn't full-flow by design (which it is) and 2) will absolutely send debris into your pressurized system. Both of which are simply not true as long as your bypass valve isn't faulty. The bypass valve is a risk factor, but certainly doesn't have a failure rate of 100% as implied. That's the whole thing I've tried to detail in my post.

Which is why I think OP's heads have a good chance of being fine. @tomcat, nowhere did I say his head will absolutely be fine so don't put words in my mouth, thanks. The chain-pathway is a possible one, I addressed the pressurized path from the oil filter though. Afaik the cams are pressure fed, so debris will not flow upstream of that. How is that an 'absolute opinion'.

It is possible to be widely recognized as experts and be a business at the same time you know.

Quick Reply: IMS Bearing failure recovery and cylinder head condition