996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Koni shock kaput!?

Old 08-02-2018, 08:55 AM
Southern Man
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Koni shock kaput!?

About 18 months ago I put the Tire Rack kit of new springs (Eibach? Can't remember!) and Koni shocks. Love the slightly lowered look and handling has been much improved. However, two weeks ago I heard what sounded like a broken spring on the left rear. Got it up on a lift the other day and turns out the left rear shock is useless. All gas appears gone and the sound I was hearing is the shock bottoming out. I have yet to contact Tire Rack, although I think these have some kind of limited lifetime warranty. That will be great, but won't cover the labor (which shouldn't be too bad).

Anyone else have this problem? I've used Koni adjustables on other cars before, and never had a problem. No track time or punishing roads. Luck of the draw I guess.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:37 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

It is rare but it does happen. I know a LOT of koni users in the autocross community and I know of it happening twice. Both times Koni simply replaced the damper without question. I'm sure you could go through Tire Rack and they'll handle it or, worst case, you have to call Koni yourself. I wouldn't sweat it though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Koni shock kaput!?