Sponsored by:

Coolant leak onto tailpipe on driver's side

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 10:56 AM
kriswd40
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak onto tailpipe on driver's side

On the tailpipe on the driver's side of my 2002 911 Carrera, coolant is dripping down slowly when the engine is running. Looking under the car, there is what I think is a heat shield above it where it may be pooling first but that also blocks my view from seeing where the actual leak is. I can't see any leaks looking from above the engine.

Any thoughts on what this might be or other things I can do to get a better look (within reason)? I just got this car last week, so I'm hoping the dealer is going to be willing to fix this, as it seems to me that it was probably something we both missed because it is a slow leak or it wasn't leaking yet but hanging on by a thread. But I want to be informed when I talk to them about it.

Also do you know what kind of coolant this car should take? I did some quick reading online last night and there seem to be a few options and its bad to mix them. The existing coolant looks green but it sounded like it may actually be yellow? I want to put more in before I drive it anywhere, as it's just below the min refill line now.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:05 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

From the location, I would guess that the leak could be from the plastic coolant expansion tank or the cap. If it's the cap, you should see coolant or dried coolant on top of the tank in the trough that leads to the small overflow hose. To check the tank, you can remove the airbox and secondary air pump to get better access and feel the bottom of the tank. There seems to be a lot of this going around lately due to the age of the cars and the number of heat cycles on this plastic part.

In the meantime, just top off the coolant level with distilled water. If you need to replace the tank you'll be adding more coolant then. The safest coolant to use is genuine Porsche coolant.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:17 AM
kriswd40
Cruisin'

Thanks Bill... I'm at work now, but I'll check those things when I'm home.

Is this picture the "expansion tank" and cap you are talking about? Or is there a bigger coolant tank down below somewhere?

Old 08-01-2018, 11:46 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

There is only one coolant expansion tank and that is it in your picture. The latest cap has a part number on it that ends in 04. Your coolant level looks low. Only Porsche coolant (pink) and distilled water in a 50/50 mix.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:00 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

I also think it's likely the coolant tank. Your coolant tank and cap are very old, could be even original based on their part numbers. The latest tank and cap both end with "04".

Also the latest coolant is pink.

The dealer could do a pressure test and id the leak positively.

Last edited by Ahsai; 08-01-2018 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:26 PM
kriswd40
Cruisin'

So the latest coolant is pink, but mine looks green/yellow... I don't want to mix pink with that right? Can I still get green/yellow stuff?

Can I go to an Advanced Auto Parts and pick this up, or do I need to go to the Porsche dealer? I certainly could go there, but its a bit across town while there are 4 auto parts stores on my way home from work.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:30 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kriswd40
So the latest coolant is pink, but mine looks green/yellow... I don't want to mix pink with that right? Can I still get green/yellow stuff?

Can I go to an Advanced Auto Parts and pick this up, or do I need to go to the Porsche dealer? I certainly could go there, but its a bit across town while there are 4 auto parts stores on my way home from work.
No. Not a good idea to mix coolant types. Possible they can have a chemical reaction that will turn it to jello. You can mix the Porsche pink with the older green colored coolant. Remember it is Porsche coolant 50/50 mix with distilled water.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:36 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
No. Not a good idea to mix coolant types. Possible they can have a chemical reaction that will turn it to jello. You can mix the Porsche pink with the older green colored coolant. Remember it is Porsche coolant 50/50 mix with distilled water.
The dealer will likely have mixed (with distilled water) and unmixed coolant on hand. I would get the unmixed and buy a gallon of distilled water at the supermarket. Otherwise you're paying for Porsche distilled water $$$.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:59 PM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

All good thoughts here but you also have a number of coolant hoses, the thermostat and water pump located above that muffler so be sure to inspect thoroughly. I recently replaced the tank, cap, water pump and thermostat only to find a leaky hose upon completion. So after a thorough flush and refill after replacing the aforementioned, I also got to drain and refill yet again after replacing a few hoses. More fun to do that once.. I got to do it twice.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:57 PM
kriswd40
Cruisin'

Yeah lots of good tips, but I'll for sure try and find the source before I start buying and replacing and hoping something works. I am hopeful that if I remove the airbox and secondary air pump, I'll be able to see/feel enough of that I can find where it is leaking at.
Old 08-01-2018, 04:34 PM
Gptoyz
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

make sure it's not the over flow line, the over flow line dumps just to the right of the muffler
Old 08-02-2018, 10:24 AM
kriswd40
Cruisin'

Thanks everyone again for the tips... I talked with the dealer (since I just bought it) and it sounds like they're going to cover the cost of repairs. I put some distilled water in to get me over the MIN fill line and I'll be taking it in this afternoon. I didn't want to trouble myself taking anything apart when the Porsche mechanic there will be doing the same thing.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:16 AM
USNA1970
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Btw, there is a coolant hose coming from the bottom of the expansion tank. about 10 inches into that tube is a plastic "T" section that can become brittle. I had this part crack and I had a leak that dripped over driver side rear most ignition coil. Very close to exhaust.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:04 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by USNA1970
Btw, there is a coolant hose coming from the bottom of the expansion tank. about 10 inches into that tube is a plastic "T" section that can become brittle. I had this part crack and I had a leak that dripped over driver side rear most ignition coil. Very close to exhaust.
Very good point. It does become brittle from age/heat and is very easy to break, or just breaks on it's own. Not talking about the plastic fitting next to the alternator (which also breaks and has a mind of its own). It is the one that attaches to the bottom of the expansion tank...a few inches from there is the plastic tee fitting. If it is leaking from there you have to replace the entire hose. The plastic tee is not repairable. That hose cost ~$70. I broke mine by touching it.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:33 PM
USNA1970
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think pelican has that part for $14.75.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak onto tailpipe on driver's side