Sponsored by:

996 Mk2 Front Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 03:49 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
You learn how to drive your car. There's a lot of space between the spoiler and the ground at that ride height.
The Toth splitter only fits the MkI, not the MkII, C2. It is very nicely made and would be a great addition. I just sold mine because it won't fit my 2002. Joe doesn't have plans to make one for the MkII.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:05 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by gcthree

Installed the spoiler today after painting and buffing it out yesterday. Much prefer the painted finish over the black as it completes the factory aero kit on the car.
That looks fantastic painted! Nice job.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:38 PM
Jerbartolo
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 9 lives
Just checking xrtrememotorcar's offerings and didn't see any mk1 splitters...would you happen to have another link ? (Guess I could just contact them directly)
finding splitters for mk1 cars seem to be very hard to find unless you change out the whole front bumper

Thanks.. .Colin
x2. I've been looking for a 996.1 splitter but have been unsuccessful. This is exactly what I'm looking for.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:39 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Originally Posted by lowpue
That looks fantastic painted! Nice job.
Yes, MUCH better painted!
Old 08-14-2018, 08:45 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
You learn how to drive your car. There's a lot of space between the spoiler and the ground at that ride height.
Exactly...I back into all my parking stalls.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:57 PM
DeanClevername
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm going to ignore the spoiler because you mentioned being mentored by David E. Davis, Jr!!!!??? I grew up with about 5 constant subscriptions to car magazines and I was enthralled anytime I read something written by him. Even to a kid who knew nothing of the man, his personality came through in every piece and his opinions on cars were entertaining, informed, thoughtful, and completely unapologetic in a way one could respect even if you didn't agree. I spent a large part of my youth wanting to be an automotive journalist because of that man's writing. Anyhow, that must have been a hell of an experience

Last edited by DeanClevername; 08-16-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:31 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by 9 lives
Just checking xrtrememotorcar's offerings and didn't see any mk1 splitters...would you happen to have another link ? (Guess I could just contact them directly)
finding splitters for mk1 cars seem to be very hard to find unless you change out the whole front bumper

Thanks.. .Colin
"x2. I've been looking for a 996.1 splitter but have been unsuccessful. This is exactly what I'm looking for."

I was specifically referring to ^^these^^ posts when I recommended the Joe Toth splitter...
Old 08-16-2018, 07:37 PM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Exactly...I back into all my parking stalls.
I'd take the plunge, but with H&R I'm already down 1 1/2"....i'd be susceptible to road kill
Old 08-16-2018, 10:09 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_A
I'd take the plunge, but with H&R I'm already down 1 1/2"....i'd be susceptible to road kill
I hear you! Ran over a dead dear in lowered 300SRT and it wasn't pretty...The smell of burning flesh and fur was disgusting!

Old 08-17-2018, 12:06 AM
gcthree
Rennlist Member

Location: Williamsburg, Virginia by way of Garden City, New York
Received 116 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by DeanClevername
I'm going to ignore the spoiler because you mentioned being mentored by David E. Davis, Jr!!!!??? I grew up with about 5 constant subscriptions to car magazines and I was enthralled anytime I read something written by him. Even to a kid who knew nothing of the man, his personality came through in every piece and his opinions on cars were entertaining, informed, thoughtful, and completely unapologetic in a way one could respect even if you didn't agree. I spent a large part of my youth wanting to be an automotive journalist because of that man's writing. Anyhow, that must have been a hell of an experience
I spent 9 years with David at Automobile, ascending to the Associate Publisher slot. When David published his book 'Thus Spake David E.', he signed my copy with "Bob: surely we're not done having adventures together? I'm not dead yet!...David E." That was in 1999. 5 years later, I fielded a call from David telling me that he was approached to take-over the reins of a digital automotive magazine, and he told the guy 1) "I have no idea what the hell a digital magazine is?, and 2) he wouldn't do it unless I was brought aboard as Publisher. David and I spent a weekend in Ann Arbor hashing it out and we decided to hold hands and jump into the abyss together as another adventure. The digital magazine was/is Winding Road and under our stewardship, we brought meaning to what a digital magazine SHOULD be. As with any business operated under the auspices of a private investor who (in his mind) knew more about publishing than a couple of guys with a collective 65 years of experience, he couldn't keep his fingers off the product. I recall sitting in a meeting when this guy rolled out a pie chart that dissected all of the road tests we conducted/published and their country of manufacture. He cited that our 'mix' did not align with production numbers and was slanted/skewed incorrectly. I pulled the guy aside and said "you do understand that you are telling the Van Gogh of automotive journalism what shade of red to use in his painting?? Are you serious?" It was fun while it lasted and DED and I did have one last adventure together. There will never be another one like him....sadly for us car guys.

Bob
Old 08-18-2018, 01:29 AM
mfg_guy
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

gcthree: love your car, really looks clean! Can you tell us about the rear spoiler as well? Factory or aftermarket? Where to buy? Thanks.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:10 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

I’m trying out the GT3 cup splitter. With X74 ride height, it may be interesting, but expect it to better balance the GT3 RS wing that came on the car. Too bad Joe Toth doesn’t offer anything for the 996.2, his work is amazing.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:37 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by cds72911
I’m trying out the GT3 cup splitter. With X74 ride height, it may be interesting, but expect it to better balance the GT3 RS wing that came on the car. Too bad Joe Toth doesn’t offer anything for the 996.2, his work is amazing.
My car is lowered about 1 1/4" with Techart Suspension and cup car splitter.
You really need to stay aware of debris on the road and pulling in and out of driveways. Always approach them at a 45 degree angle if you can.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:10 PM
gcthree
Rennlist Member

Location: Williamsburg, Virginia by way of Garden City, New York
Received 116 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by mfg_guy
gcthree: love your car, really looks clean! Can you tell us about the rear spoiler as well? Factory or aftermarket? Where to buy? Thanks.
Thanks! The rear spoiler is factory aero kit along with the side skirts and smaller, black rubber spoiler up front that I've replaced with the spoiler shown.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:32 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by gcthree
Thanks! The rear spoiler is factory aero kit along with the side skirts and smaller, black rubber spoiler up front that I've replaced with the spoiler shown.
But they’re MKI side skirts on a MKII car (I actually prefer the MKI side skirts)...

Quick Reply: 996 Mk2 Front Spoiler