Old 08-30-2018, 11:21 PM
Ahsai
Addict
Rennlist Member

What error code are there now?
Old 09-01-2018, 08:59 PM
Punko
User

Cleared code. 4205 would not clear. New wiring, new sensor. What other tests can be done to ensure wiring is sound.

Old 09-01-2018, 10:01 PM
Ahsai
Addict
Rennlist Member

Had the system been working fine with no error codes before you worked on the front left sensor harness? Kind of strange you needed to correct so many things at once.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:23 AM
Punko
User

There were no issues at all before the harness was damaged.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:05 PM
Ahsai
Addict
Rennlist Member

In that case, seems the focus should be on the repaired harness, which I assume you must have gone over many times now. Those tests are quite comprehemsive and should catch any issue.

I don't know how difficult it is to access the wire pins of the abs plug while plugged in but if you can back probe the sensor signal wire (or tap a wire off the signal wire somewhere) with everything plugged in and with key ON, you could check for a/c signal while hand spinning the wheel. This will test directly what the sigbal is seen by the abs unit. Can also check for short to B+ and ground the same way.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:38 AM
DrivenHK
New User

Punko - Did you ever get this resolved? Am experiencing very similar symptoms which brought me to this post. Will document my case, hopefully come to a resolution and be of help to others.

Car is a 996 C2 5.7 ABS - Same issue, left side harness damaged and (RWD version) ABS harness replaced. New Speed sensor replaced.

Unable to reset the ABS 4205 fault code with durametric (pro version). Dash warning indicating same.

- Fault Code Tiptronic Code 25 CAN Front Left Wheel RPM from PSM implausible

Real Time Data from another obd2 scanner show 4 wheel speed sensors in action and indeed Left Front showing 0 while other 3 as expected.

STEPS 1-8 from Porsche Diagnostic Manual

1 - Visual Inspection: Speed sensor and leads are fine because the "last mile" Speed Sensor has already been replaced. Leads/joint on repair section double checked.

2 - Checking Speed Sensor: Resistance measures 1.7kOhm (with in 1kohm - 3kohm range).

3 - Checking function of speed sensor: Check that AC voltage approx. Same as other side. I didn't check this given sensor is new.

4 - Mechanical function: Check Speed Sensor and Toothed Ring for soiling/damage. Check OK.

5 - Checking leads of Speed Sensor for short circuit to B+: Voltage Both Pins 0.0~0.01V (with in <0.3V range).

6 - Checking leads of Speed Sensor for short circuit to Ground: No Continuity from PSM module pins for signal/ground to Common Ground.

7 - Checking leads of Speed Sensor for Open Circuit: Continuity from PSM module pins for signal/ground to respective speed sensor signal/ground.

(Question: Step 7 - PIN 4 and 5 refer to the speed sensor harness male pins... and speed sensor PIN 1 and 2 refer to the female pins on the speed sensor side?)

8 - Checking leads of speed sensor for short circuit with respect to each other: No Continuity.

9 - Replace Speed Sensor Left - Already done before test

10 - Replace PSM Control Unit ... Does the manual mean replacememt of the ABS Pump module or PSM ECU here?

This reference to a similar description where the ABS harness was damaged, and OP claims damage to module occurred. Is this common or plausible?

https://www.renntech.org/topic/31619-abspsm-module/

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2019, 04:27 PM
808Bill
Super User

Don't you just love reading a long story with no end...
Old Yesterday, 10:27 PM
Punko
User

Well it ended up being the control module. I sent the module to a local electronics repair shop and they said it could not be repaired. I ended up replacing the module with a used one from a wrecker and magically the lights all went out.
Old Yesterday, 10:32 PM
Punko
User

The wrecker sent me the control module and abs pump all as an assembly.
Old Today, 01:55 AM
DrivenHK
New User

Originally Posted by Punko View Post
Well it ended up being the control module. I sent the module to a local electronics repair shop and they said it could not be repaired. I ended up replacing the module with a used one from a wrecker and magically the lights all went out.
Was afraid of that... Thanks for the update and confirming.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ABS, PCM Fault code 4205, front left speed sensor

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: