Trackcar - 996 Turbo or C2?

Old 07-20-2018, 08:47 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
GT3.

Made for the track. Holds its value.
(Feel free to skip this, since there is a lot of opinion that doesn’t directly answer your question.)

No doubt, GT3 is the best move, if money isn’t a concern. It is made for the job.

There are lots of sayings about the cost of speed. You’ve got to pay to play, and the cost of each incremental gain at the high end is much steeper.

You’re much closer to track prepped starting with a GT3, but you’ll still need to throw money at it to get it “fully prepped”.

I can’t comment on turbos on the track, but you could build a heckuva’ C2 with a Raby engine, an open trailer and a used tow rig for about the same money as a single manual 996TT prepped for the track.

In my very limited racing experience, the fastest cars are driven by the best drivers. Money would be best spent on track time and quality instruction before buying another car.

Also, compromise cars (drive it to the track, drive it home), are less likely to be tuned to the razors edge of high performance. A real racecar is nearly unbearable on the street. Sound deadening, cabin cooling, audio, carpets, trim, dash, street crash safety measures (like safety glass, airbags and side impact bars), etc. get sacrificed to reduce weight. Suspensions are so taught that they rattle your fillings. Etc. I tried to do that when I was in my 20’s and it sucked.

One last comment about driving the car to and from the track is that if you have to worry about driving it home, you are unlikely to be willing to drive at 10/10ths. Stuff happens at speed and to go the fastest, (in my opinion) you have to drive close to the edge. You can’t do that if you’re worried about driving it home or to work the next day.

My dream car is a GT3 RS. It’ll probably never happen due to the buy-in cost. But I can always dream.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:45 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

It all depends on what's important to the buyer. Money wise, a GT3 costs more than a Raby Track Car which costs more than a TT track car. And the TT is by far the quickest around the track. The Raby build was more hassle than it was worth for me. The only way I'd do another one of those is if I found a used one like Blue Chip did so that someone else pays the "premium" on it.

Personally, if I just want to throw a car around the track, a properly setup C2 with stock engine will always be my favorite. If I want to show up and "win" the DE, the TT is my favorite weapon so far.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:19 PM
turbogrill
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
TGoogle Rennpoint Track Records and see what the SP996 track record is for your favorite PCA race track. I think you will be surprised what you can do with 265rwhp. Especially if it's a track that Glenn has raced at. He's an ex dirt track racer that is wicked fast.
2.27 at COTA!

That is very fast. Only 5 seconds slower than a Corvette ZR1! (2:22)

But to be fair to the Corvette, the Corvette driver was probably not as good as the Porsche driver (but we did have 2x the horse power )

Old 07-20-2018, 02:20 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Running a 2:21 at Sebring is impressive as hell.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:33 AM
Evil Bunny
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

All, thanks for the input.

Marv, I am fully aware of the merits of a GT3, as stated at the top of the thread I am not interested in hearing from a GT3 owner talking up their car. - I could build a 3.7 C2 with similar power and cup suspension for half the cost.

Lowpue - Can you share the details on your 3.8 build?
Old 07-23-2018, 10:55 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran my 3.8 conversion on the track for the first time this weekend.... albeit rainy as hell out... we did manage to turn a few laps.

Immediately - the first thing that I noticed was the low end torque. Whereas many of the turns were between 2nd and 3rd gear - my friend in his 997 base was even complaining that leaving it in 3rd was tough to get any power out of the corner. I had no such problem.

My vote - join the dark side and go with a 3.8 like us.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:58 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
It all depends on what's important to the buyer. Money wise, a GT3 costs more than a Raby Track Car which costs more than a TT track car. And the TT is by far the quickest around the track. The Raby build was more hassle than it was worth for me. The only way I'd do another one of those is if I found a used one like Blue Chip did so that someone else pays the "premium" on it.

Personally, if I just want to throw a car around the track, a properly setup C2 with stock engine will always be my favorite. If I want to show up and "win" the DE, the TT is my favorite weapon so far.
Slak, Can you elaborate on the "hassle" part? PM if you prefer...
Old 07-23-2018, 07:26 PM
AndrewK996
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I have heard of companies like BBi tuning turbos for more linear power delivery. I wonder if that would make the 996 a more viable track car?

Out of the box suggestion: have you considered re-gearing to squeeze more out of the existing engine?
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...for-996-a.html
Old 07-23-2018, 08:08 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewK996
I have heard of companies like BBi tuning turbos for more linear power delivery. I wonder if that would make the 996 a more viable track car?

Out of the box suggestion: have you considered re-gearing to squeeze more out of the existing engine?
Turbos are a bad idea on the M96. They just aren't built to handle them.

I had forgotten about the gearbox mods. They aren't legal for a lot of the PCA classes but Johnecatt did really well with his '99 he had before moving on to Cayman.

Extra power is always nice to have and you can never have enough. That being said, these cars are extremely well balanced just as they are(especially the '99). The magic comes from upgrading the suspension/tires/safety and driver skill.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:01 AM
AndrewK996
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I was actually referring to tuning the 996 turbo when I said tuning for more linear power dlivery. Agreed the m96 is not great for turbocharging. That said you reminded me that VF engineering sells a supercharger kit for the 996

http://www.vfengineering.com/carrera-996/

I've heard the founder on a number of podcasts and they seem to take special consideration for reliability.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:51 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewK996

Re-gearing with what and from who?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trackcar - 996 Turbo or C2?