996 C4S 2002 IMS bearing service, what to do while Im there

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 06:55 PM
Os7213
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 996 C4S 2002 IMS bearing service, what to do while Im there

Hi everyone,

Next week my car is going to be serviced by WeTune in Montréal.
The IMS bearing will be changed as a preventive maintenance for an IMS Retrofit. I just bought the car and Im pretty much new to the Porsche mechanical side, let say Im on the learning curve.
After doing my home work I realise that its the perfect time to do the clutch assembly and release fork.
The thing is my clutch is in top shape, it feels good, is predictable and bite perfectly. Its a bit hard to depress, make a funny noise when I depress it, which make me think that the pressure plate might*start getting tired but that's about it. I will have them inspect it but I dont see the reason why I should change the whole assembly.. Maybe you guys have another opinion?

I will also have the shifter cables replaced with ones that seems in better shape and I would like to get new spark plugs and coil packs.

So far so good, the car went througth a PPI from Rombotis and everything seems to be fine at 147000kms
Here what as been done to the car so far by previous owner:
- Rear Lower Control Arms replaced 2017
- Throttle Body replaced 2017
- Alternator replaced 2017
- Motorsport AOS & Baffled Oil pan installed 2017
- Transmission rebuilt 2016
- Mass airflow sensor replaced 2015
- Spark plugs replaced 2015
- 2 sway bar end links replaced, and aftermarket cats 2014
- Oxygen sensors replaced 2013
- Passenger side table replaced 2013
- Radiator replaced 2013

Aside from theses previous maintenances/replacement do you have any suggestion while the car get the IMS done and the tranny is out?
I am using the car as a week-end toy, no track but I may participate in 1-2 events one day.

Thanks
OS
Old 07-14-2018, 10:10 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

It all depends on how much wear the clutch has, and the condition of the other components. All these clutches make some sort of noise (like a rattle), although, if your throw-out bearing is loose, or there’s noise on other components, I would hate for you to have to go in there later and change something out again later. If you have the original clutch, I might just as well replace all those items anyway.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:07 AM
Os7213
Racer

The noise from the clutch happen when I depress it.
its a squeequing noise that can be heared when I press the pedal before starting the engine. Like a cylinder or something. It can be heared from outside.
I got your opinion for the clutch and I have the same one, if its a necessity it will be done.
Any particular advises about clutch assembly / flywheel? I will get into theses researchs tommorrow but if you guys have some good informations please do not hesitate.

Do you guys have in mind any other parts I could have missed, that worth changing while Im working on that section of the engine?

Old 07-15-2018, 12:20 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Throw out bearing and have them test the flywheel.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:42 AM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 137 Posts

When my vehicle went in for a similar service, the following additional parts were found to be leaking, so just a heads up that might be the case for you:
RMS
Cam Covers
Old 07-15-2018, 10:03 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

You aren’t dropping the engine, right? If you are, some folks say to get the AOS done at that time as a preventative measure.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:18 AM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 137 Posts

Good point, my engine was down due to a transmission issue. And yes, AOS was changed as well (I forgot about that).
Old 07-15-2018, 10:20 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,070 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Os7213
Hi everyone,

Next week my car is going to be serviced by WeTune in Montréal.
The IMS bearing will be changed as a preventive maintenance for an IMS Retrofit. I just bought the car and Im pretty much new to the Porsche mechanical side, let say Im on the learning curve.
After doing my home work I realise that its the perfect time to do the clutch assembly and release fork.
The thing is my clutch is in top shape, it feels good, is predictable and bite perfectly. Its a bit hard to depress, make a funny noise when I depress it, which make me think that the pressure plate might*start getting tired but that's about it. I will have them inspect it but I dont see the reason why I should change the whole assembly.. Maybe you guys have another opinion?

I will also have the shifter cables replaced with ones that seems in better shape and I would like to get new spark plugs and coil packs.

So far so good, the car went througth a PPI from Rombotis and everything seems to be fine at 147000kms
Here what as been done to the car so far by previous owner:
- Rear Lower Control Arms replaced 2017
- Throttle Body replaced 2017
- Alternator replaced 2017
- Motorsport AOS & Baffled Oil pan installed 2017
- Transmission rebuilt 2016
- Mass airflow sensor replaced 2015
- Spark plugs replaced 2015
- 2 sway bar end links replaced, and aftermarket cats 2014
- Oxygen sensors replaced 2013
- Passenger side table replaced 2013
- Radiator replaced 2013

Aside from theses previous maintenances/replacement do you have any suggestion while the car get the IMS done and the tranny is out?
I am using the car as a week-end toy, no track but I may participate in 1-2 events one day.

Thanks
OS
I would recommend a water pump and put in a low temperature thermostat as well. Only use a Genuine Porsche pump.

The AOS vent tube I assume was updated when you put the motorsports unit.

Also, the oil fill tube should be changed, if not so already.

Check the expansion tank for signs of leaking. We are seeing more and more of those with problems once the cars are over 8 years old and on the original one.
Attached Images
Old 07-15-2018, 06:37 PM
Os7213
Racer

Thank you guys!

That's more then I expected, that is really appreciated.

Thanks

Quick Reply: 996 C4S 2002 IMS bearing service, what to do while Im there