Sponsored by:

General 996 advice & opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 12:20 PM
Ghosteh
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 96 Posts
Default General 996 advice & opinions wanted

Hello all! I just popped over from the 928 forum to get your informed opinions.

Obviously, most people here are 996 fans, but I'd like to hear your general opinions on the model's depreciation/appreciation, future collectability, dependability, and ease of maintenance both today & into the future. I have older cars, but would like to have a newer model that's a nice weekend cruiser, with modern comforts and drivability. I want to turn the key, have AC that works well, cruise, modern stereo, etc.. What also appeals to me is a car that's underappreciated and at the bottom of the depreciation curve, and getting the most bang-for-the-buck. I kinda like driving a car for a decade for free. (Just sold a Jeep under those circumstances)

I know the 996 took a lot of criticism for the headlight styling, but that doesn't bother me. The IMF bearing issue, while that is a legit concern, appears to be overblown and correctable, and once that's done, it seems that the car is as solid & dependable as any other model. I've been busy reading the threads here, learning about the issues, but I'm still a newbie.

Dismissing the turbos (which I like, but want to avoid for sake of simplicity), what year & configuration should I be looking at considering the above criteria? Coupe, cabriolet, stick or auto, 4S or standard? It seems that convertibles are cheaper than coupes for some reason, as well as automatics; am I correct in this? What's the most solid car that you'd expect to see increase in value over the next 10 years? Obviously I have some personal preferences, which I also think are best for values, which are unusual colors, leather & upgraded trim, etc., and unmodified cars that are 100% stock.

If a guy bought a clean, relatively low mileage car for occasional weekend driving, with the intention of keeping it 5-10 years, what kind of experience would you expect? I did the same thing with an '85 930 about 15 years ago (keeping it for about 10 years) and had minimal upkeep and maximum appreciation. I don't expect the 996 to skyrocket in value like the 930 did, but right now, it DOES seem to be the red-headed step child of the 911 family.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:08 PM
JSRossie
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow... There's a lot to digest. I agree the 996 is the redheaded stepchild but it's still a damm fun car. I'll risk giving my opinion:
  • Yes, IMSB overblown, just replace it (especially if you buy a low mile car)
  • 996's seem to still be at the bottom of the depreciation curve
  • It seems like it's hard to find ones that don't need a lot of other work, it might be difficult to find that one that you can keep 5 - 10 years without a lot of work
  • If your goal is to collect, I think it is hard to find cheap ones that have not already been modified or abused (it's like most of those gentle owners have already sold them, IMO), you might have to pay closer to the top end for a good example
  • If you want the better IMS, 99-01 seem to be better engine years, if you want the updated headlights go 02 or later
  • I have a Cabriolet, and if you like the idea of cruising in a convertible go that way, if you want something to do DE or track get a coupe, the convertibles have more stuff that can go wrong for sure
  • I went C2 because I wanted liquid cooled but still RWD analog feel (no-PSM for me either), I would suspect that the C2's might perform better in the market once they eventually start to appreciate because some people call them the last analog 911's (debatable)
  • Look for the triangle steering wheel over the rectangular one
There are exceptions, but most of the 996's I see in the common market need a lot of love. You have 15 - 20 year old control arms and lots of other parts that don't necessarily age well, regardless of mileage. If you are going to drive it gently it might not matter. I suppose eventually there will be some 996 lovers and we'll see appriciation but I'm not counting on it. My goals with the 996 were different, I wanted a car I could work on myself and drive the **** out of being comfortable that something would eventually break. Given my very different goal from yours, take my opinions with a grain of salt.

Good luck!
Old 07-13-2018, 01:39 PM
Dryslick13
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 2001 C2 Cab. I would go with a coupe for future value. Won't ever appreciate like the air cooled. Coupe is stiffer, lighter, less complex, and has less rattles etc. Find a nice one that has been babied all its life. The plastic on mine has turned brittle and breaks. Mostly small stuff, but annoying. My car came from TX and lived most of its life in S. CA. Think the heat is what has caused the issues. Other sources of problems are RMS, trans input shaft seal, IMS seal which can all cause annoying oil leaks that are cheap parts to fix, but expensive fixes due to difficulty of getting to the repairs. Sagging motor mounts and worn trans mount are other common areas but simple DIY fixes. Fun cars with decent performance even by today's standards and a bargain. Timing chains in these motors too. No annoying belts that need maintenance every 15k miles.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:04 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

If you want a 996 that's going to appreciate in value get a GT3 or a Turbo. IMO those have more appreciation potential over time, especially the GT3. That said the GT3 entry price there is 3-4x a decent M96 996. Turbos can be had for a bit more than a nice NA 996 but not off the charts yet.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:15 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

It sounds like you've done quite a bit of research and have a good grasp on what you want. Others have said the 996 won't appreciate, but that's necessarily true. At the worst, I think your assumption of driving it and selling it for what you paid (or close) is reasonable. Keep in mind that naturally aspirated, and manual, 911s are becoming a thing of the past. Cabs and Tips tend to sell for less - that applies to both purchase and resale though. The 996 is the first modern 911 and after 2 years of ownership I can say it has been an absolute blast to own and drive. Maintenance has been minimal (but expensive) and it has proven to be extremely reliable.

4S seems to be in pretty high demand. Anniversary editions are sought after and limited (plus they had more power). Also the 996.1 aero cars are just beautiful and tend to command a bit of a premium. All in all, I don't think there is a bad choice when it comes to the 996 lineup.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:44 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately, I don't think many would characterize the 996 as max appreciation and minimal upkeep. These cars are in that period where things start to be replaced just from age alone (hoses, belts, tanks, pumps, suspension, mounts, belts, pulleys, emissions, electrical etc). Much of this is moderate cost if you DIY. This wouldn't be so bad if all this was nicely spaced out, but sometime when it rains it pours. Also, I think catastrophic or heavy repairs are over-represented here, but those risks are real - bore scoring, intermix, etc. I think you don't buy a 996 unless you are ok with walking away with getting paid for a roller at the end of the day - sounds grim, but the risk is there.

Appreciation potential for these cars is questionable at best I think - the headlights, the concerns about the IMS, and the high volume all work against appreciation. As mentioned, your best bet is a 6MT coupe - aero packages, 4S, anniversary editions, turbos command a premium. The turbos are more complicated, but anecdotally, these engines are more stout and are not prone to a lot of the issues plaguing the M96.

If you're looking for cheap entry into a very fun car with some of the 911 cache, I think the 996 is a great choice. If appreciation and low upkeep are important, it's a gamble at best.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:40 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

29, 39 or is it 49 modes of failure now? Learn em all and good luck with your decision!
Old 07-13-2018, 04:57 PM
theprf
Drifting

Received 1,619 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghosteh
Dismissing the turbos (which I like, but want to avoid for sake of simplicity)
This is all wrong - the Turbo engine is a better design than the M96 and the Turbo/GT2/GT3 are more likely to appreciate in the future.
Everything else about the car is essentially the same level of complexity.
If you can budget for a Turbo you will be very happy. There's one for sale now in the classifieds for 29k, with 177k miles, and if I didn't have one already I'd be all over it.

Old 07-13-2018, 05:49 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

I agree - if you can afford a turbo, get that instead. A much better engine that would offset the added complexity of the turbos, which do sometimes have problems, although rare too.

The 996 is simple, reliable, easy to work on. Very daily drivable. If you want to do anything from a collectibility standpoint, you have to go for low miles and rare (options) as possible because these cars aren’t really collectible.

That said, I thought the same thing back in 2005 when I bought my 3.2 Carrera and the 996 was the current model, so anything CAN happen to cause these cars to go up. But don’t be surprised if it doesn’t appreciate in 10 years. It could take 20 depending on what the 997 and 991 cars do.

However, it almost certainly won’t depreciate either. So you will have the same situation as your Jeep if you get lucky.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:05 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 995 Likes on 528 Posts

Sadly, that's a myth. I don't see the 996s appreciating at all. Maybe in another 20-30 years for a select few, but the automotive landscape will be so different by then that you may find it both costly and in some case outright prohibited areas to drive an internal combustion engine. That's not going to improve their value.

The best chance of finding something likely to rise in value will be something very rare and that means expensive. The Turbos and GT cars stand a chance, but the rest of the 996s are simply too many in numbers. You should really look for a GT2, but that will cost you as much as a mid-size house and the right house stands a better chance on return of investment than any 996.

You are far, far better socking your money into a reputable mutual fund than anything with wheels. Yes, a few players make money flipping cars, but they tend to have deep pockets from the start and are prepared to drop expendable cash that us regular folks don't have.

That being said, a 996 (or even an early Boxster) are a relatively easy way to get into the club. But chances are you are going to be pouring money into the vehicle. Any car with 10 to 15+ years under its belt is going to be breaking. Don't forget to budget for normal expenses like oil, gas, tires, brakes, and fluids. Oh, and there is the cost of storage, insurance, and registration.

When you add in those expenses, your "investment" doesn't look so good.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:21 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

I'm far from an expert, but I do have an opinion(like everyone!). Not sure I would invest in any car in an attempt to make money on it in 5-10 years, particularly a "modern" car. I put my investment dollars in traditional investment options. Now concerning the 996, in my opinion they are a great car, offer outstanding performance and appearance for a reasonable price. I bought my 2005 996 C4S in 2014 without knowing a darn thing about them. I think the C4S is the best looking and do command a higher price. I'm an old guy so don't much of my own DIY beyond oil and filter, motor mounts and other minor items. They are easy to work on but as mentioned above can be a pain in the a-- to access certain things. I just don't enjoy laying under a car and skinning my knuckles that much anymore. If you are looking for a weekend driver that will make you smile I can recommend the 996. Decide which one you like best and go find it. Plenty of examples out there. Prices may sag as Fall gets closer depending on area of country. Good luck with your decision and possible search.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:49 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

I took a little bit of a different path when I looked for mine. I wanted a car that was relatively solid, but lower on the cost curve. After about 6 month of learning and looking, I bought a 99 C2. I had an honest seller who told me about most of the little issues with my particular car. Buying one of these, especially from a dealer who typically knows little of the cars history, is a crap shoot. It appears that I got a good one. I have no illusion about these cars going up in value. As battery technology improves, electric cars with a range of 300 or more miles will become common. Recharge times will decrease too. We are nearing the end of the era of gasoline powered cars. One thing that has been on my bucket list for a long time is to drive a car on the track, but not necessarily in competitive racing. I anteed up and joined a club at Road Atlanta where it will have to opportunity to get out on the track about once a month. My car, with a few modifications (deep oil sump and 3rd radiator included), will be perfect for what I want to do.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:58 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

* bought my 996 (02 cab tip) to use/drive/enjoy (future resale value was NOT factored in my purchase decision for same reasons already discussed in earlier posts).
* 02: for reasons detailed here https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...breakdown.html
* CAB: live in SoCal and can/have/will drive year round with top down.
* TIP: wife and daughters do not drive stick.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:10 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Splitting Atoms
I took a little bit of a different path when I looked for mine. I wanted a car that was relatively solid, but lower on the cost curve. After about 6 month of learning and looking, I bought a 99 C2. I had an honest seller who told me about most of the little issues with my particular car. Buying one of these, especially from a dealer who typically knows little of the cars history, is a crap shoot. It appears that I got a good one. I have no illusion about these cars going up in value. As battery technology improves, electric cars with a range of 300 or more miles will become common. Recharge times will decrease too. We are nearing the end of the era of gasoline powered cars. One thing that has been on my bucket list for a long time is to drive a car on the track, but not necessarily in competitive racing. I anteed up and joined a club at Road Atlanta where it will have to opportunity to get out on the track about once a month. My car, with a few modifications (deep oil sump and 3rd radiator included), will be perfect for what I want to do.
Yep, after you put that baby on the track, you will be like, wow, this is not a slow vehicle. I cannot believe Porsche claims 174mph for my stock 99 C2. Totally worth the learning experience and fun factor.

Edit: I have a good one too. 18 months of ownership and did virtually nothing but fix two issues: rear window regulator, and frunk latch/lock mechanism. 59k miles now and feels solid and clean.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:36 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It's a Porsche 911 that you can purchase all day long for $17k or less. And a pretty good example at that. What more is there to say? 4S is the best choice for future desirability but none of them are that desirable at this time. You would need to spend at least double and triple what a 996 costs to get any other type of 911 (younger or older). Good luck with your search. Porsche people know the differences but "regular" people react to my car the same way they would a brand new Porsche.

Quick Reply: General 996 advice & opinions wanted