996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Need advice, looking at 996 Turbo S in WA

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 02:58 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 71 Posts

I think someone just added an S badge to the back. No other evidence that this car is an S, dealer is even just advertising it as a a regular turbo. Also wheels don’t have the offset and width cast in beside the valve stem so they are definitely replicas.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:52 PM
theprf
Drifting

Received 1,618 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Don't be bummed about the lack of X50, a simple tune gets you far beyond X50 power with better spoolup times.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:12 PM
thebutterson
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It's not too far from me, I might be able to help with going to take a look at it. If its located in Bellevue then its not far from Chris' German, they would be a great place to take it for a ppi.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:21 AM
RockoS13
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thebutterson-- thanks for that kind offer. I think I am going to pass on this particular car-- the experts here have been super helpful. The search continues!

For what it's worth -- I did find this Nissan dealer to be very responsive and willing to help so, if someone else may be interested, Saul seemed like a nice guy to work with.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:17 PM
Agent Jester
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

http://howtoporsche.com/911-series/9...r-and-version/

According to this site, only two Turbo S Coupes were produced in 2004 compared to 598 in 2005.

Last edited by Agent Jester; 07-14-2018 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:40 PM
RockoS13
7th Gear

Hi,

Would you all mind giving your .02 on another 996 for me? This one is highly modified by a reputable tuner-- curious your impression on it. Assuming the buyer is comfortable with a modified car, do you see any red flags? (red seats != red flag, lol)

Link is here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-Porsch...xbUexq&vxp=mtr

Thanks! =)
Old 07-20-2018, 07:54 PM
cfiiman
Instructor

Originally Posted by PTEC
Keep in mind this is a Nissan dealer selling this car. The have no clue about anything when it comes to this car. The listing says it’s GT sliver. It’s not GT silver it’s arctic silver. Im also relatively certain there is nothing upgraded about the brakes, they look stock to me but it’s hard to tell in pictures. I’m 99.9% sure every turbo s came a standard X50 power kit but you won’t find X50 on the build sheets. The more I look the more certain I am that those are not factory wheels and are knock offs. Also another I just noticed is the car appears to have sport seats. Awesome car I think
This. Before purchasing my 996TT I looked at one at a Mercedes dealer locally. On the test drive while getting on the freeway the car started smoking so bad I thought it was on fire, I'm talking "tire fire plums of smoke" stuff here. Nursed it back to the dealership, found out a week later their "service technician" way over filled the oil.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:26 AM
michalik.piotr
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad you passed on the first one. I did too. Its been advertised for at least about a month now. And, its $10k above some comparable cars that are real x50. The second car is not "higly modified", those are all mild things most Turbo owners have done or want to/will do. I see only positives with that one. Also, yes, you can get a stock turbo to make more power then a stock x50 with just a tune but you can tune an x50 and be around 515, 520hp which you can't get out of a none x50 car with just a tune. Not to mention you already have the larger intercoolers with x50. Doesn't really matter tho... on paper only. $17 to $25k more when new, now only 3-4K more. Most people do hybrid turbos anyways to be more linear, reduce lag and spool up quicker/full boost at lower rpm's, better on the street. Bigger intercoolers are cheap, relatively speaking. Exhaust always get swapped out anyways too.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:40 PM
RockoS13
7th Gear

Hi Michaelik, thanks for the feedback -

Out of curiosity is there a "best" web listing site you've been using to find 996s for sale? I think I've covered most but maybe there's a 911-specific one I don't know about. I've been using Cars.com, Autotrader, eBay, Craigslist, and Autotempest. I monitored BringaTrailer for a while but I don't think I want to pay their premiums.

Thanks
Old 07-24-2018, 02:45 AM
michalik.piotr
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

@rockos13, you are on the right track. BAT is over rated and over priced. Ebay is over priced and sketchy. I think CL and Autotrader are the best. Be patient. It may take you a year or longer to find the right car, thats normal and OK. Check CL in Florida (lots of retired old guys selling off cars) and the Phoenix, Scottsdale, Messa area....where fast cars go to die (also lots of retired old guys... there is a reason all the car auctions are there). CL in Cali is also good.

Quick Reply: Need advice, looking at 996 Turbo S in WA