Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Anyone interested in replacement cup holder parts (flat style)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 10:00 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

It looks like mine might be missing a bunch of parts:

I don't have all the edge pieces. This might be why my cups are always at an extreme angle.

Here's mine, all folded up ready to be pushed back into the dash. I'm guessing I'm missing some springs as well.

My front edge doesn't spring back into place, as I assume it should. It is a two handed job to fold it back into the dash. The front edge has fallen off several times, but snaps back on.

Let me know when you start selling parts...I'm going to need a bunch of them.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:15 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

can i paypal you for the .stl file of the faceplate gear? I have a markforged Onyx already so no need to ship a physical part...don't worry I won't share the file or start printing my own for anyone else
Old 07-17-2018, 03:04 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
It looks like mine might be missing a bunch of parts:

I don't have all the edge pieces. This might be why my cups are always at an extreme angle.

Here's mine, all folded up ready to be pushed back into the dash. I'm guessing I'm missing some springs as well.

My front edge doesn't spring back into place, as I assume it should. It is a two handed job to fold it back into the dash. The front edge has fallen off several times, but snaps back on.

Let me know when you start selling parts...I'm going to need a bunch of them.

Hey TexSquirrel - I hate to break it to you, but I think that cup holder is beyond the help that I can provide. It looks like you're missing 3 springs (there's a chance one of those may be sandwiched in the assembly still, 2 metal pins, and 3 plastic pieces. I have working models of the gear that fixes the front faceplate moving back into plate, and 1 of the 3 plastic pieces you need - but I have no idea where you would find the springs and pins. I'd recommend looking for a replacement on ebay, or maybe one you can steal some parts from.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:44 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

The springs may be inside.
It rattles quite a lot.
I may bite the bullet and get another someday.
I just hate how expensive they are...but knowing that it might hold my drinks level helps.
I might be able to sell my old one on eBay even with it missing parts.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:34 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tex, have you looked at the Ultimate Cup Holders. If you're planning on coffee, I suggest you get a Travel Mug. If you carry any kind of speed through turns, the coffee is going to shoot out of the hole.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:38 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Finished up my tutorial for opening this thing up and getting it all back together. It definitely takes some patience, but isn't too terrible if you take your time.

The following 2 users liked this post by charlieaf92:
David9962002 (08-28-2021), Eurocarguy911 (06-29-2020)
Old 07-18-2018, 01:33 AM
gbgastowers
Rennlist Member

Location: Holden Beach and Winston-Salem, North Carolina 82 928 Euro S 5spd MOSS GREEN/CHAMPAGNE-04 996 C4S CONV TIP POLAR SILVER/METROPOL BLUE
Received 282 Likes on 161 Posts

Great job
Old 08-09-2018, 10:49 AM
boingolover
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1, would totally buy one of those gears. Mine just recently started requiring me to manually move the face plate when closing it. It's annoying, but not so annoying that I'm ready to spend $300.

By the way, great video!
Old 08-09-2018, 06:10 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Well I'm approach the 1 month mark and the parts have held up flawlessly. I'm making a point to open close the cup holder multiple times each time I drive the car - jam travel mugs + cans into it, etc. Everything is working great despite some really hot 90+ degree weather here in Cincinnati.

So that being said, I'm open to making more and selling them. PM me for details and let me know which parts you need.

Cheers
Charlie
Old 08-10-2018, 10:12 AM
Mike Mullins
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Great Tutorail on most overengineered part on a 911

I might need a parts kit to replace the cracked Half moon from front holder old one, but I need to see if I still have the spring assembly from original part. I think I put it in Arm Rest on driver side.
You going to Oxford this Saturday?

Mike
Old 08-10-2018, 02:36 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Hey Mike

Cool, just let me know. As far as Oxford goes, what's happening there? I don't think I can make it Sunday but if its a regular meetup I may be able to at a later date.

Cheers
Charlie

Originally Posted by Mike Mullins
I might need a parts kit to replace the cracked Half moon from front holder old one, but I need to see if I still have the spring assembly from original part. I think I put it in Arm Rest on driver side.
You going to Oxford this Saturday?

Mike
Old 08-10-2018, 03:49 PM
Mike Mullins
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Porsche Reunion event

https://www.redbrickreunion.com/

Mike
Old 08-18-2018, 10:50 AM
mdsarch
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Face Plate

Great work on the cup holder blades. Have you moved onto other parts that make up the assembly? I am in need of the faceplate piece that slides off. No need for the little cup graphic, in my opinion. Mine is cracked in two places.
thanks
Old 08-22-2018, 01:03 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdsarch
Great work on the cup holder blades. Have you moved onto other parts that make up the assembly? I am in need of the faceplate piece that slides off. No need for the little cup graphic, in my opinion. Mine is cracked in two places.
thanks
Hey mdsarch

At the moment, I only have these 3 parts modeled: faceplate actuating gear, outside ring for front cup holder, outside ring for rear cup holder. Pictures below of all 3. This is the first kit I'm sending out for someone else. I'm open to modeling and printing the faceplate (I could probably add the little cup holder graphic but you'd have to paint it white), but at the moment I don't have access to the part (its installed in my car and I'm not eager to take it all out). Where is yours broken - across the front, or on the back where the teeth are?

Cheers
Charlie

Old 08-26-2018, 01:05 AM
mdsarch
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 63 Posts

My faceplate slides off pretty easily so I’ll take a photo and post when I get a chance, in case others have the same problem.

Quick Reply: Anyone interested in replacement cup holder parts (flat style)?