Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Got my dream car, now what to do to it

Old 07-15-2018, 04:42 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Total opposite. Many of us wrench our own cars and all of us are fairly immature...lol

Originally Posted by Mbren1979
Guess maybe i will have to join the club. I just always thought thoses kinda of clubs were all people who held their noses up like snobs and drove $200,000 911's. I'm just a hard working mechanic who wouldnt be able to afford a Porsche unless i could fix it myself......But the thought i tracking the car sounds fun as hell. Maybe i should get involved.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:45 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

Originally Posted by Anestheticg
Or you can just run the car as is. I’ve done 2 DE events and May do one or 2 a year going forward. “They” say you can get oil starvation even on street tires. Im running at lime rock and maybe im not good enough or the track is in a way I haven’t seen a drop in pressure. For a DE event every now and then no deep sump for me. As time goes on and I get better maybe I’ll add one. But plenty of people track their cars without a deep sump and haven’t blown up an engine... fingers crossed it stays that way
One or two DEs a year - I agree, not going to be a major issue. I had pressure drops on all season tires (long, sweeping high G right handers will do it).
Old 07-16-2018, 02:40 PM
Silk
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
Not true. Just because you want to engineer a swinging oil pickup or over-engineer some solution to a perceived problem which was discussed at length on another thread, the fact is that there are hundreds, if not close to a 1000 people running our 2 quart deep sump with race oil with zero issues.
No offence meant and no offence taken. The swinging oil pick up was just an idea. I know there is no space for it to swing freely all around. Otherwise it might would work perfectly just as it works in the Hayabusa wet sump. But it is nice to notice you still remember and refer to it. Means you are curious about the outcome and possible findings?

And I want to acknowledge that the deep sump kits are a nice piece of engineering. No bad word about that further!

It is just that we see oil pressure drops significantly on the street with long fast +180 degree curves. We have them here as long as 270 degrees. And yes you are right it will not happen at the track as those you don’t have on the track. But the deep sump will eventually give oil shortage at the central pick-up at these long curves.

Also we should agree that the main problem is not a shortage of oil in the sump but that the combination of oil not returning fast enough and oil ‘swinging’ out of reach under lateral acceleration (g-force) will make the oil pick up start to suck up foam and air eventually as the oil level falls at the location of the oil pick up. So the problem is shortage at the pick up. There is still plenty of oil in the sump on either side depending on the curve being left or right.

So an oil pick up with a possibility to suck up oil in the left/center/right side (not all of them at once) of the sump will remedy the problem. There where the oil goes. In that case it will even help building up oil pressure as the slightly extra hydrostatic pressure due to the higher oil column will further help the oil pump take in the oil into the engine.

Maybe we can say the deep sump kit is over-engineering the actual problem? Trying to keep oil in a location where it want to flow away. But even up till now we just could not find the perfect solution for it to get the oil there where it flows.

Last edited by Silk; 07-16-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:02 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,070 Likes on 556 Posts

Thank you for the clarification.

The tandem scavenge pumps that were used on the 3.4 X51 RoW and later 3.6 X51 engines helped with the scavenging. We produced these pumps after Porsche discontinued their version.

Problem is cost and on a 996, there isn't room for both pumps. They fit Boxsters and Caymans better. Also, you have to put an electric vacuum brake booster pump in if you delete the factory pump. Lots of complexity.

Jerry Woods built a dry sumped M96 engine with an external belt driven pump, but again, cost is a huge consideration here.

If you do look, there is a swinging pickup that was patented many years ago. Lots of moving parts and complexity, but it has been done.

Race oil can prevent the aeration of oil which is a huge problem with these engines.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:08 PM
Silk
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Hi Charles, quick reply from you! I was still editing my post. Working from a mobile phone is terrible.

I edited my post above that a swinging oil pick up is nothing new. See the reference to the Hayabusa.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:23 AM
Dahilla West
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As soon as I bought a car that I really liked, about which I dreamed since 15 y.o , I first started repairing it. I have been repairing it for more than 3 years. I was looking for original parts, good car mechanics and saved money for it. After the repair, I dreamed of riding it. I was looking for a cheap insurance for a long time, because my car was quite old, the price of insurance in my region at a very high price. I can recommend you to look for a profitable insurance offer here https://www.generalinsurance.com/ . All services of insurance companies are collected on this service. I know that many companies offer advantageous terms to new customers. After registration of insurance and major repairs of my car, I have been driving my car for 3 years.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:28 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Dahilla West
As soon as I bought a car that I really liked, about which I dreamed since 15 y.o , I first started repairing it. I have been repairing it for more than 3 years. I was looking for original parts, good car mechanics and saved money for it. After the repair, I dreamed of riding it. I was looking for a cheap insurance for a long time, because my car was quite old, the price of insurance in my region at a very high price. I can recommend you to look for a profitable insurance offer here https://www.generalinsurance.com/ . All services of insurance companies are collected on this service. I know that many companies offer advantageous terms to new customers. After registration of insurance and major repairs of my car, I have been driving my car for 3 years.
Goodness, you sound like a stinking commercial!
Old 08-28-2018, 12:23 PM
Horsepwr
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

How about you start by driving it like you stole it???
Old 08-28-2018, 08:55 PM
6L6
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on your new car!

I'm not sure if paddle tensioners and/or timing chains apply to your engine, but see my thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...day-today.html

Failure to replace these items caused my engine to grenade.

Bill
Old 08-29-2018, 08:09 AM
ilikebigbumpers
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

install an fm bluetooth kit so your new toy doesn't feel so archaic

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got my dream car, now what to do to it